Jump to content
Fugitive

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I could see a small cup run undermining their chances of Premier League survival. Their squad is very limited and injuries could be fatal. 

I’d enjoy this more, plus a cup run could mean Duncan gets the job full time which would be hilarious and potentially disastrous the longer he survives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A piece by Bascombe but he doesnt truely call it in my opinion. He points out the hypocrisy of the fans and their 'sack the board' chant while not targetting Moshiri because of his money. He also alludes to usmanov in the background. Sorry, cant be arsed editing an article about them to make it look nice!

 

Following on from their 1-0 loss to Aston Villa, there were angry scenes after the final whistle at Goodison Park on Saturday as a few hundred Everton fans staged a sit-down protest against their board. How has it come to this?

A cry in the dark

After over an hour, they turned the lights out on the remaining protesters on Gwladys Street. This was not your usual demonstration calling for an executive cull. Usually there is demand for owners to sell. Not here. The chant ‘Sack the Board’ needed the caveat ‘except majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri’. Wisely, fans chose not to target the figurehead given his £500 million investment, and spade is in the ground of a £500 million stadium. If Moshiri was offended enough to go, the financial consequences would be more devastating than relegation.

So the focus is Everton’s support cast in the boardroom, particularly chairman Bill Kenwright. Kenwright has been chairman for 18 years and his critics are divided into two camps; those who believe Moshiri still defers to Kenwright on the major football issues, and those that think Kenwright does not do enough to prevent the calamities of such decisions like appointing Sam Allardyce or Rafael Benitez

Advertisement

Kenwright, who led an Everton buyout to save them from the Peter Johnson era in 1999 and diluted his shareholding in 2016, is not powerless. But the buck no longer stops with him. Targeting Kenwright is more symbolic than a call for fundamental change at the very top. For frustrated fans who feel their voice has been ignored for too long, a cosmetic gesture feels better than nothing. 

Why was the protest planned for Saturday?

Take your pick of reasons; the dismal run, the predictable end to Benitez’s reign, and the fear the cycle of despondency since 2016 will continue given the lack of clarity as to the on-field direction. A myriad of candidates are under consideration - each with different age and style profiles. Had Benitez remained, the protest would have been far worse and greater in number. 

Most Evertonians agree their club is reactive more than proactive in its decision making, taking some measures to appease fans and quell unrest for short-term periods, before stumbling into the next calamity by failing to foresee and prevent the next crisis. Sacking Benitez and appointing club legend Duncan Ferguson, albeit temporarily, was meant to remove the toxicity from the Goodison fixture. It didn’t. 

Advertisement

Nor did Moshiri’s open letter to the fans on Friday morning, which beyond the admirable writing off of £100 million of loans was, at times, too self-congratulatory.

“I have the utmost faith and respect in the board and I work incredibly well with them,” Moshiri wrote. 

“The expertise of our senior leaders has been undeniably demonstrated in the last 18 months by the huge strides taken in delivering our new stadium on the banks of the Mersey despite the great-many challenges posed by the pandemic.”

The implication was obvious; all the problems were caused by that pesky manager in the dug-out and had nothing to do with those of us who sanctioned his appointment. Even Benitez’s fiercest critics - and the protesting fans were among them - will not swallow that.

Why were so few supporters demonstrating, then?


Everton fans hold banners following the English Premier League football match between Everton and Aston Villa at Goodison Park in Liverpool, north west England on January 22, 2022
A few hundred Everton fans stage a protest after the defeat to Aston Villa Credit: AFP

This was the second Goodison protest of the season. As on Saturday, the first - a walk-out against Arsenal on December 6 - was not widely backed. It is a sign of the divisions within the fanbase as to how to vent their frustration, and varied conclusions as to precisely why the club is where it is.

Advertisement

More moderate supporters agree Kenwright would be wiser to be less visible. Not because he does not have the club’s best interests at heart, but because he has become a high profile and convenient shield. But there is no point hiding from the real truth, no matter how unpalatable given the scale of Moshiri’s investment. 

Everton are where they are right now because their highly impressionable owner has made a series of terrible decisions. He is self-evidently guided by his business partner (and major club sponsor), Alisher Usmanov, and under the spell of some of the game’s highest profile power-brokers. It often appears that every managerial vacancy offers an opportunity for Moshiri and Usmanov to meet as many famous football personalities as possible. Are they simply the most wealthy and privileged autograph hunters in world football? You would be forgiven for thinking as much. 

For years Everton fans craved football’s new money because they wanted the best coaches and players. Now? They crave wisdom. They crave empathy. They crave a clear sense of direction, so that even when results are bad, performances offer a glimmer of hope. 

What happens next?

Duncan Ferguson the caretaker head coach / manager of Everton gestures during the Premier League match between Everton and Aston Villa at Goodison Park on January 22, 2022 in Liverpool, United Kingdom
Duncan Ferguson was a noisy presence on the touchline, but is his emotion too much? Credit: Getty Images Europe

It’s an eternal truth in football that everything looks better when you win, and the news only gets worse if you keep losing.

Advertisement

Some will disagree, but there would be something romantic and pure about Duncan Ferguson dusting himself and the players down and embarking on a prolonged unbeaten run, guiding the team to Premier League safety and deep into the FA Cup. 

The loss to Aston Villa was a bad start - Villa are already emerging as an excellent team under Steven Gerrard - but the FA Cup tie with Brentford can provide fresh impetus, and there are winnable league games on the horizon. It makes sense to give Ferguson more time to prove he can be the long-term solution. Moshiri needs to realise the flurry of names linked with the vacant job - especially some of the most random and exotic - induce eye-rolling more than excitement. The more potential managers he meets, the more he gives the impression he has no idea what he wants. That’s been Everton’s problem since David Moyes left.

Ferguson was right to say he got a response from his players, and it is obvious Dominic Calvert-Lewin needs a few more games to get his sharpness back. That will help in the critical fixtures to come.

Advertisement

Cynics say Ferguson is too emotional - and would possibly be too demanding. What’s wrong with emotion? Emotion can take you far in football. Just as the negative energy at Goodison Park has been debilitating, a galvanising force like Ferguson can unite the fans and turn the light backs on.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/01/23/inside-evertons-civil-war-sparsely-attended-protests-rudderless/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

A piece by Bascombe but he doesnt truely call it in my opinion. He points out the hypocrisy of the fans and their 'sack the board' chant while not targetting Moshiri because of his money. He also alludes to usmanov in the background. Sorry, cant be arsed editing an article about them to make it look nice!

 

Following on from their 1-0 loss to Aston Villa, there were angry scenes after the final whistle at Goodison Park on Saturday as a few hundred Everton fans staged a sit-down protest against their board. How has it come to this?

A cry in the dark

After over an hour, they turned the lights out on the remaining protesters on Gwladys Street. This was not your usual demonstration calling for an executive cull. Usually there is demand for owners to sell. Not here. The chant ‘Sack the Board’ needed the caveat ‘except majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri’. Wisely, fans chose not to target the figurehead given his £500 million investment, and spade is in the ground of a £500 million stadium. If Moshiri was offended enough to go, the financial consequences would be more devastating than relegation.

So the focus is Everton’s support cast in the boardroom, particularly chairman Bill Kenwright. Kenwright has been chairman for 18 years and his critics are divided into two camps; those who believe Moshiri still defers to Kenwright on the major football issues, and those that think Kenwright does not do enough to prevent the calamities of such decisions like appointing Sam Allardyce or Rafael Benitez

Advertisement

Kenwright, who led an Everton buyout to save them from the Peter Johnson era in 1999 and diluted his shareholding in 2016, is not powerless. But the buck no longer stops with him. Targeting Kenwright is more symbolic than a call for fundamental change at the very top. For frustrated fans who feel their voice has been ignored for too long, a cosmetic gesture feels better than nothing. 

Why was the protest planned for Saturday?

Take your pick of reasons; the dismal run, the predictable end to Benitez’s reign, and the fear the cycle of despondency since 2016 will continue given the lack of clarity as to the on-field direction. A myriad of candidates are under consideration - each with different age and style profiles. Had Benitez remained, the protest would have been far worse and greater in number. 

Most Evertonians agree their club is reactive more than proactive in its decision making, taking some measures to appease fans and quell unrest for short-term periods, before stumbling into the next calamity by failing to foresee and prevent the next crisis. Sacking Benitez and appointing club legend Duncan Ferguson, albeit temporarily, was meant to remove the toxicity from the Goodison fixture. It didn’t. 

Advertisement

Nor did Moshiri’s open letter to the fans on Friday morning, which beyond the admirable writing off of £100 million of loans was, at times, too self-congratulatory.

“I have the utmost faith and respect in the board and I work incredibly well with them,” Moshiri wrote. 

“The expertise of our senior leaders has been undeniably demonstrated in the last 18 months by the huge strides taken in delivering our new stadium on the banks of the Mersey despite the great-many challenges posed by the pandemic.”

The implication was obvious; all the problems were caused by that pesky manager in the dug-out and had nothing to do with those of us who sanctioned his appointment. Even Benitez’s fiercest critics - and the protesting fans were among them - will not swallow that.

Why were so few supporters demonstrating, then?


Everton fans hold banners following the English Premier League football match between Everton and Aston Villa at Goodison Park in Liverpool, north west England on January 22, 2022
A few hundred Everton fans stage a protest after the defeat to Aston Villa Credit: AFP

This was the second Goodison protest of the season. As on Saturday, the first - a walk-out against Arsenal on December 6 - was not widely backed. It is a sign of the divisions within the fanbase as to how to vent their frustration, and varied conclusions as to precisely why the club is where it is.

Advertisement

More moderate supporters agree Kenwright would be wiser to be less visible. Not because he does not have the club’s best interests at heart, but because he has become a high profile and convenient shield. But there is no point hiding from the real truth, no matter how unpalatable given the scale of Moshiri’s investment. 

Everton are where they are right now because their highly impressionable owner has made a series of terrible decisions. He is self-evidently guided by his business partner (and major club sponsor), Alisher Usmanov, and under the spell of some of the game’s highest profile power-brokers. It often appears that every managerial vacancy offers an opportunity for Moshiri and Usmanov to meet as many famous football personalities as possible. Are they simply the most wealthy and privileged autograph hunters in world football? You would be forgiven for thinking as much. 

For years Everton fans craved football’s new money because they wanted the best coaches and players. Now? They crave wisdom. They crave empathy. They crave a clear sense of direction, so that even when results are bad, performances offer a glimmer of hope. 

What happens next?

Duncan Ferguson the caretaker head coach / manager of Everton gestures during the Premier League match between Everton and Aston Villa at Goodison Park on January 22, 2022 in Liverpool, United Kingdom
Duncan Ferguson was a noisy presence on the touchline, but is his emotion too much? Credit: Getty Images Europe

It’s an eternal truth in football that everything looks better when you win, and the news only gets worse if you keep losing.

Advertisement

Some will disagree, but there would be something romantic and pure about Duncan Ferguson dusting himself and the players down and embarking on a prolonged unbeaten run, guiding the team to Premier League safety and deep into the FA Cup. 

The loss to Aston Villa was a bad start - Villa are already emerging as an excellent team under Steven Gerrard - but the FA Cup tie with Brentford can provide fresh impetus, and there are winnable league games on the horizon. It makes sense to give Ferguson more time to prove he can be the long-term solution. Moshiri needs to realise the flurry of names linked with the vacant job - especially some of the most random and exotic - induce eye-rolling more than excitement. The more potential managers he meets, the more he gives the impression he has no idea what he wants. That’s been Everton’s problem since David Moyes left.

Ferguson was right to say he got a response from his players, and it is obvious Dominic Calvert-Lewin needs a few more games to get his sharpness back. That will help in the critical fixtures to come.

Advertisement

Cynics say Ferguson is too emotional - and would possibly be too demanding. What’s wrong with emotion? Emotion can take you far in football. Just as the negative energy at Goodison Park has been debilitating, a galvanising force like Ferguson can unite the fans and turn the light backs on.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/01/23/inside-evertons-civil-war-sparsely-attended-protests-rudderless/

 

 

Is he being serious or taking the piss when he says Drunken should be given time & a chance to become the permanent manager?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Pete said:

Is he being serious or taking the piss when he says Drunken should be given time & a chance to become the permanent manager?

I think he's serious but deluded!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

A piece by Bascombe but he doesnt truely call it in my opinion. He points out the hypocrisy of the fans and their 'sack the board' chant while not targetting Moshiri because of his money. He also alludes to usmanov in the background. Sorry, cant be arsed editing an article about them to make it look nice!

 

Following on from their 1-0 loss to Aston Villa, there were angry scenes after the final whistle at Goodison Park on Saturday as a few hundred Everton fans staged a sit-down protest against their board. How has it come to this?

A cry in the dark

After over an hour, they turned the lights out on the remaining protesters on Gwladys Street. This was not your usual demonstration calling for an executive cull. Usually there is demand for owners to sell. Not here. The chant ‘Sack the Board’ needed the caveat ‘except majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri’. Wisely, fans chose not to target the figurehead given his £500 million investment, and spade is in the ground of a £500 million stadium. If Moshiri was offended enough to go, the financial consequences would be more devastating than relegation.

So the focus is Everton’s support cast in the boardroom, particularly chairman Bill Kenwright. Kenwright has been chairman for 18 years and his critics are divided into two camps; those who believe Moshiri still defers to Kenwright on the major football issues, and those that think Kenwright does not do enough to prevent the calamities of such decisions like appointing Sam Allardyce or Rafael Benitez

Advertisement

Kenwright, who led an Everton buyout to save them from the Peter Johnson era in 1999 and diluted his shareholding in 2016, is not powerless. But the buck no longer stops with him. Targeting Kenwright is more symbolic than a call for fundamental change at the very top. For frustrated fans who feel their voice has been ignored for too long, a cosmetic gesture feels better than nothing. 

Why was the protest planned for Saturday?

Take your pick of reasons; the dismal run, the predictable end to Benitez’s reign, and the fear the cycle of despondency since 2016 will continue given the lack of clarity as to the on-field direction. A myriad of candidates are under consideration - each with different age and style profiles. Had Benitez remained, the protest would have been far worse and greater in number. 

Most Evertonians agree their club is reactive more than proactive in its decision making, taking some measures to appease fans and quell unrest for short-term periods, before stumbling into the next calamity by failing to foresee and prevent the next crisis. Sacking Benitez and appointing club legend Duncan Ferguson, albeit temporarily, was meant to remove the toxicity from the Goodison fixture. It didn’t. 

Advertisement

Nor did Moshiri’s open letter to the fans on Friday morning, which beyond the admirable writing off of £100 million of loans was, at times, too self-congratulatory.

“I have the utmost faith and respect in the board and I work incredibly well with them,” Moshiri wrote. 

“The expertise of our senior leaders has been undeniably demonstrated in the last 18 months by the huge strides taken in delivering our new stadium on the banks of the Mersey despite the great-many challenges posed by the pandemic.”

The implication was obvious; all the problems were caused by that pesky manager in the dug-out and had nothing to do with those of us who sanctioned his appointment. Even Benitez’s fiercest critics - and the protesting fans were among them - will not swallow that.

Why were so few supporters demonstrating, then?

Everton fans hold banners following the English Premier League football match between Everton and Aston Villa at Goodison Park in Liverpool, north west England on January 22, 2022
A few hundred Everton fans stage a protest after the defeat to Aston Villa Credit: AFP

This was the second Goodison protest of the season. As on Saturday, the first - a walk-out against Arsenal on December 6 - was not widely backed. It is a sign of the divisions within the fanbase as to how to vent their frustration, and varied conclusions as to precisely why the club is where it is.

Advertisement

More moderate supporters agree Kenwright would be wiser to be less visible. Not because he does not have the club’s best interests at heart, but because he has become a high profile and convenient shield. But there is no point hiding from the real truth, no matter how unpalatable given the scale of Moshiri’s investment. 

Everton are where they are right now because their highly impressionable owner has made a series of terrible decisions. He is self-evidently guided by his business partner (and major club sponsor), Alisher Usmanov, and under the spell of some of the game’s highest profile power-brokers. It often appears that every managerial vacancy offers an opportunity for Moshiri and Usmanov to meet as many famous football personalities as possible. Are they simply the most wealthy and privileged autograph hunters in world football? You would be forgiven for thinking as much. 

For years Everton fans craved football’s new money because they wanted the best coaches and players. Now? They crave wisdom. They crave empathy. They crave a clear sense of direction, so that even when results are bad, performances offer a glimmer of hope. 

What happens next?

Duncan Ferguson the caretaker head coach / manager of Everton gestures during the Premier League match between Everton and Aston Villa at Goodison Park on January 22, 2022 in Liverpool, United Kingdom
Duncan Ferguson was a noisy presence on the touchline, but is his emotion too much? Credit: Getty Images Europe

It’s an eternal truth in football that everything looks better when you win, and the news only gets worse if you keep losing.

Advertisement

Some will disagree, but there would be something romantic and pure about Duncan Ferguson dusting himself and the players down and embarking on a prolonged unbeaten run, guiding the team to Premier League safety and deep into the FA Cup. 

The loss to Aston Villa was a bad start - Villa are already emerging as an excellent team under Steven Gerrard - but the FA Cup tie with Brentford can provide fresh impetus, and there are winnable league games on the horizon. It makes sense to give Ferguson more time to prove he can be the long-term solution. Moshiri needs to realise the flurry of names linked with the vacant job - especially some of the most random and exotic - induce eye-rolling more than excitement. The more potential managers he meets, the more he gives the impression he has no idea what he wants. That’s been Everton’s problem since David Moyes left.

Ferguson was right to say he got a response from his players, and it is obvious Dominic Calvert-Lewin needs a few more games to get his sharpness back. That will help in the critical fixtures to come.

Advertisement

Cynics say Ferguson is too emotional - and would possibly be too demanding. What’s wrong with emotion? Emotion can take you far in football. Just as the negative energy at Goodison Park has been debilitating, a galvanising force like Ferguson can unite the fans and turn the light backs on.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/01/23/inside-evertons-civil-war-sparsely-attended-protests-rudderless/

 

 

He has a point where they cant really target moshiri,as if he walked away ,they would be fucked.

As for the fans ,didnt loads of bottles get lashed from the back of the street end the other week?

They do seem to evade censure quite often

I remember Bellamy and Suarez getting pelted with all sorts of shite years back and nothing was done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

He has a point where they cant really target moshiri,as if he walked away ,they would be fucked.

As for the fans ,didnt loads of bottles get lashed from the back of the street end the other week?

They do seem to evade censure quite often

I remember Bellamy and Suarez getting pelted with all sorts of shite years back and nothing was done.

Yeah. It's also amazing the narrative is 1 fan has been arrested yet ignores the fact he either had at least 10 arms or loads of others havent been identified. It's all being made to look like the club has acted swifted but as you say, we all know lobbing bottles and coins at players has been going on for years at that shithole.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should give it Ferguson until the end of the season the either give it him if he does well or go for Dyche. 

 

Obviously just for the laugh I hope they get maureen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit stupid targeting a fella who has 6 per cent shares. 

 

I know Kenwright loves Everton but if I was his age and had as much money as him I wouldn't be arsed with that aggro. Just retire and go and live somewhere with a nice beach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Anubis said:

Caramac posted this clip in the other football thread when I mentioned the face rub, but I’ve been watching it back, and just look at the expression on Ferguson’s face, and the body movement - it looks for all the world like he he’s about to lose control and run onto the pitch to punch one of the players.

 

 

Never go full Hodgson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pete said:

Is he being serious or taking the piss when he says Drunken should be given time & a chance to become the permanent manager?

Isn’t that what all Reds are saying?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been on here much, completely missed that Benitez had been sacked. Thank fuck that weird situation is over. He walks away with a few of the Merseyside Millionaires millions and they are left with a drunken cunt in charge of a steaming heap of shite squad still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Lad on Merseyside was nearly in tears over him.

If Everton players dont know what it is to play for Everton, they do now.

Presumably he hasn't had a chance to impart such wisdom during the previous 3 years or so he has been assistant manager. 

Big Dunc is part of the problem, any coach / assistant Manager who survives 6 managers in 6 years is either an arse licker or a trophy appointment, one for the fans kind of thing the club is in free fall and long may it continue. Up the fucking Reds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah. It's also amazing the narrative is 1 fan has been arrested yet ignores the fact he either had at least 10 arms or loads of others havent been identified. It's all being made to look like the club has acted swifted but as you say, we all know lobbing bottles and coins at players has been going on for years at that shithole.

The police are hoping to turn the fan and put him undercover to find the other culprits, the fans refusing to go back in the ground whilst uncle Bill is in charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I haven't been on here much, completely missed that Benitez had been sacked. Thank fuck that weird situation is over. He walks away with a few of the Merseyside Millionaires millions and they are left with a drunken cunt in charge of a steaming heap of shite squad still.

Fair enough you haven’t been in here but how had you not heard he’d been sacked??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ferguson really knows how to play on the fans

 

Somehow he has got away without any blame for how shite they have been for years yet he has been there the whole fucking time nearly,. Same with Carrick at the mancs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×