You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

3 hours ago, Jockey said:

If you are expecting trophies you don't replace Rafa with a pensioner who has won nothing. He was appointed as a steady pair of hands. The fact that that was beyond him speaks volumes. 

The parasites didn't give a fuck about trophies - they wanted a big fat profit from selling us. Giving Joan Hickson the job meant they could sell and the new owners wouldn't be stuck with a manager they couldn't sack. 

He was the only manager I have never backed. From day one I wanted him gone, he wasn't a footballing appointment. 

You’re missing the point. The “get us” came from a fans viewpoint. Regardless of what them two cowboys wanted us as fans have our expectations of a Liverpool manager. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You’re missing the point. The “get us” came from a fans viewpoint. Regardless of what them two cowboys wanted us as fans have our expectations of a Liverpool manager. 

Oh I see. Yep that is true! But sadly we don't appoint them e.g Hodgson! 

I love how Heysel is black and white - our fault and any attempt to argue context is treated with contempt. But apparently Hillsborough is nuanced and we have to accept our actions as well. 

In 1985 it wasn't the actions of another team. It was the collective actions of other teams. 

• Upvote 1

They just sit around moaning about Heysel like Miss Havisham sits in her wedding dress and can't move on from something that happened years ago. So many parallels, especially the ruined mansion line..

Amelia Havisham is a character in the Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations (1861). She is a wealthy spinster, once jilted at the altar, who insists on wearing her wedding dress for the rest of her life. She lives in a ruined mansion with her adopted daughter, Estella. Dickens describes her as looking like "the witch of the place".

That so called 'steady hand' Hodgson was shaking like a shitting dog. Every utterance screamed 'I'm out of my depth'.

On the other hand, since the late 90s, we've been lucky enough to have appointed three managers not previously associated with LFC who've 'got' the club: Houllier, Benitez and now Klopp. But it does seem a whole lot easier to 'get' a club when the club has some intrinsic identity, as opposed to the Bloos, who even to this day, need to ask on their own forum 'What kind of club are we?' This points to the fact, that the club as a whole, and the fans, struggle to identify themselves, what they are, who they are, and how they present themselves to the football world outside of the city.

A little story which comes to mind for me. Many years ago, in the early 2000s, as a photographer for a provincial newspaper in Ireland, I was covering a social event, and taking pics of random individuals and groups. I took a pic of one guy who turned out to be a very well established industrial builder/developer, but I didn't know who he was at the time, and asked his name so I could caption the pic. (I can't remember the name, let's call him John Byrne)

His response floored me - I'm 'Patrick Byrne's' brother. This 'Patrick Byrne' had been a Galway GAA footballer maybe 15+ years previously, and not being familiar with Galway GAA, the name totally passed me by. My first thought was 'I don't know or give a fuck who your brother is, he's not here, what's YOUR name? Why are you stating your identity as somebody else's brother? Do you not have your own life, career and identity or do you live vicariously by name-dropping your has-been brother all the time? My blank look and response of "Who? What's your name?" probably puzzled him as much as his had puzzled me.

There would appear to be a similarity in the mindset of John Byrne and Everton/fans. One of an ingrained inferiority complex where they only exist as a sideways reference to something or someone else better known than themselves. How about you live your own fucking lives and stop trying to forever hang on to someone else's coat-tails for relevance.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, scudger99 said:

Why ?  When have they sought proof for all the other shite they come out with as fact on a regular basis ?

It'll get spun out to be "redshites did it to stop the power shift, shittin themselves, fucking merrderers" and absorbed as stone cold fact by the start of next season.

Didn't you know they got them on CCTV.

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

They just sit around moaning about Heysel like Miss Havisham sits in her wedding dress and can't move on from something that happened years ago. So many parallels, especially the ruined mansion line..

Amelia Havisham is a character in the Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations (1861). She is a wealthy spinster, once jilted at the altar, who insists on wearing her wedding dress for the rest of her life. She lives in a ruined mansion with her adopted daughter, Estella. Dickens describes her as looking like "the witch of the place".

Nil Two Cities Nisi Copperfield.

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Prentice did an article about Clive Thomas in 1977 a few years back and why it pisses off so many Evertonians.

Apparently Everton were on the verge of dominance and this decision derailed them.

Think about that for a minute. They had won fuck all since 1970, finishing 14th as champions and done nothing in Europe. They had managed to reach an FA Cup semi final seven years later but because one dodgy decision stopped them winning the game against you know who it completely fucked up their world dominance and they lost all their infinity stones. 

It doesn't explain why they couldn't win the replay or guarantee that they would have beaten the Mancs in the final. 

Also doesn't touch on him why, if they were so good, why Liverpool won 2 European Cups, then Forest twice, us again and Villa. Or why they didn't win the UEFA Cup or CWC in that time. The Clive Thomas decision must have meant that they were banned from European football until 1984. 

They live in an alternative Walter Mitty reality those cunts.

Heres Prentices bemoaning past Derby decisions. 

Everton have suffered at the hands of referees in derby matches many times since – Alan Hansen handling Adrian Heath’s goalbound shot off the line at Wembley, Mick Lyons’ equaliser ruled out in the Alan Waddle derby, a foul on Graeme Sharp in the 1986 FA Cup final, Graham Poll blowing for time at Goodison after Sander Westerveld tried to take a quick free-kick only to crash the ball against Don Hutchison’s back and see the ball bounce past him, Jack Rodwell’s red card for an alleged foul on Luis Suarez, later rescinded, Jamie Carragher wrestling Joleon Lescott to the ground as he attempted to tap in a last minute equaliser .... but none has rankled or endured quite like that Clive Thomas decision.

4 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Everton have suffered at the hands of referees in derby matches many times since – Alan Hansen handling Adrian Heath’s goalbound shot off the line at Wembley, Mick Lyons’ equaliser ruled out in the Alan Waddle derby, a foul on Graeme Sharp in the 1986 FA Cup final, Graham Poll blowing for time at Goodison after Sander Westerveld tried to take a quick free-kick only to crash the ball against Don Hutchison’s back and see the ball bounce past him, Jack Rodwell’s red card for an alleged foul on Luis Suarez, later rescinded, Jamie Carragher wrestling Joleon Lescott to the ground as he attempted to tap in a last minute equaliser .... but none has rankled or endured quite like that Clive Thomas decision.

To be fair, jockey did stop that shot with his arm and westerveld was a tit with that free kick. The rest he's clutching at straws.

Kind of ironic how they cry-arse over how Heysel denied them ruling Europe but they stay quiet over the Bolton (over the line) goal that would have seen them relegated in 98 

A decision that could have seen them be out of the top flight to this day 

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/15509235.inside-wanderers-twenty-years-on-should-bolton-wanderers-finally-forgive-the-goal-that-never-was/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm sure there are decisions that have cost us in many derby games but I cant remember almost any of them.

Let's face it, Pickford almost certainly cost us the title, at least, this year. I doubt many of us will be foaming at the mouth about it 20 years from now, in fact most of the ire on here has not been about the Everton hatchet job, but about our failure to buy defenders.

Blaming everyone else for your failures rather than asking what you could have done yourself to rectify shit is the last refuge of the bum.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Let's face it, Pickford almost certainly cost us the title, at least, this year. I don't many of us will be foaming at the mouth about it 20 years from now, in face most of the ire on here has not been about the Everton hatchet job, but about our failure to but defenders.

Blaming everyone else for your failures rather than asking what you could have done yourself to rectify shit is the last refuge of the bum.

Yep, van Dijk being injured was the root cause of our early 2021 decline, but there were a lot of other things piled on top of it that contributed- other injuries, not reinforcing, playing the most influential midfielders in defence, massive drop off of the front 3, some nonsense VAR decisions etc. It wasn't a single 'Sliding Doors' moment and neither were Heysel or the '77 semi-final disallowed goal, but they seem to want to believe that they were, presumably because it gives them a chance to excuse their own club's manifest failings and blame someone else/ us.

12 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yep, van Dijk being injured was the root cause of our early 2021 decline, but there were a lot of other things piled on top of it that contributed- other injuries, not reinforcing, playing the most influential midfielders in defence, massive drop off of the front 3, some nonsense VAR decisions etc. It wasn't a single 'Sliding Doors' moment and neither were Heysel or the '77 semi-final disallowed goal, but they seem to want to believe that they were, presumably because it gives them a chance to excuse their own club's manifest failings and blame someone else/ us.

I honestly don't know how evertonians would react to actually becoming successful, they seem to draw their identity from being underdogs to us. 

9 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Graham Poll blowing for time when 90 minutes had been played, the bastard.

Nothing "alleged" about Rodwell's foul. It was a very clear yellow at least.

Carragher "wrestled" Lescott exactly the same way some defender in a European competition  (if Everton can remember such a thing) "wrestled Lescott to give Everton a penalty a week or two earlier. Coincidence? Either Lescott is really unlucky to be fouled the same way twice, or he's a cheating cunt. We may never care.

Still, it is amazing that they are the only ones to suffer questionable decisions in the last 44 years.

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I honestly don't know how evertonians would react to actually becoming successful, they seem to draw their identity from being underdogs to us. 

I wonder if any of them confront this essential truth on the "who are we?" thread on GOT.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

It's as clear as day that Hamilton handled that ball into the net in that 77 semi final...   

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Kind of ironic how they cry-arse over how Heysel denied them ruling Europe but they stay quiet over the Bolton (over the line) goal that would have seen them relegated in 98 

A decision that could have seen them be out of the top flight to this day 

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/15509235.inside-wanderers-twenty-years-on-should-bolton-wanderers-finally-forgive-the-goal-that-never-was/

I've said that to a few of them but they say "oh it was a foul on Big Nev so wouldn't have counted"

Even though the referee didn't stop play for the foul. 

24 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

It's as clear as day that Hamilton handled that ball into the net in that 77 semi final...   

Just watched it again and it was a clear handball. What didn't help was John fucking Motson ignoring that and suggesting offside, which it obviously wasn't. But to our deranged friends across the park, that has now become the reason it was disallowed.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

They wouldn't enjoy it as a trophy win and be happy, it would just be to get one over on us and wind us up. You only have to see their reaction over the stadium announcements.