Quantcast
*Shakes head* Everton again. - Page 2226 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Fugitive

*Shakes head* Everton again.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I think they’ve used ‘untarnished’ when they meant to use ‘ancient history.’

Your avatar has a more recent history of silverware.

• Upvote 5

On 04/04/2021 at 19:26, liverpoolsno9 said:

Had the talk with a few of the twats & they lay fault at us............because of the Steaua flag & the fact there was a procession planned with the Everton coffin getting thrown in the Mersey in the mid 90s if they took the drop. They are the 2 things that were mentioned to give them justification for their OTT hatred and endless Heysel jibes. Be interesting to know when that Steaua flag made its debut, anyone know? Also, rivals celebrating a teams losses,  they’d know all about that. 

The Steaua flag was a (badly judged, but understandable) "fuck you" in response to their endless banging on about how they are the real victims of Heysel.

Interesting mental gymnastics to pretend that the Steaua flag started the bitterness. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

His writing on Heysel is definitive.

It was you who got me onto that article mate. Sobering read 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Code said:

Fuck Moyes

Edit- wrong thread, but it fits in here as well. 

There's never a wrong thread to say this. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

10 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Just been trying to find something about this but can’t find anything. Is this true? Link? 

I may well have uncovered this when researching something else (without sounding more of a nob head than I usually do, I've a PhD in sports and so research a few different areas), I genuinely can't remember. I do know I was told this but can't remember if it was via Tony Mason, Richard Holt etc., or I read it. I know it was a while ago but was convinced of its legitimacy at that time (that it wasn't just urban legend or an unsubstantiated anecdote). It's exactly why the idea of "us" doing the coffin thing in the first place came about I'm imagining - as a retort to what had happened before. If it was just us doing it of our own bat and they'd never done anything I still wouldn't be arsed, so it's not me seeking to explain, rationalise or defend the coffin idea if any bitters are reading.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

I’m pretty sure that it was Liverpool supporterswho held the mock funeral in 1954, not Evertonians; we joined them in division 2 when we went down. 

I think they got promoted in 54 when we went down didn’t they? 

24 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"jammiest organisation in the world" apparently with Real Madrid having two players out for tonight. 

And here's us with a full-strength squad. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"jammiest organisation in the world" apparently with Real Madrid having two players out for tonight. 

It's clearly the Powers-that-be giving us a helping hand. 

45 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

2 centre backs out. Imagine that. 

8 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

I’m pretty sure that it was Liverpool supporterswho held the mock funeral in 1954, not Evertonians; we joined them in division 2 when we went down. 

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I think they got promoted in 54 when we went down didn’t they? 

Going slightly off topic but how brilliant must it have been knocking them out of the cup in 1955 at Goodison Park 4-0 ?

Must rank as one of the greatest ever derby wins as they were 5th in division 1 and we were 16th in division 2 and in front of a crowd of 72,000....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

Going slightly off topic but how brilliant must it have been knocking them out of the cup in 1955 at Goodison Park 4-0 ?

Must rank as one of the greatest ever derby wins as they were 5th in division 1 and we were 16th in division 2 and in front of a crowd of 72,000....

Hat trick for Charlie Charles.

• Upvote 1