You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

20 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

I've always wondered about this, has anyone ever written an article or recorded audio/a podcast on why this didn't occur? 

Was it the fact Everton were from a Methodist route with Liverpool being formed as after a board/commercial dispute, thus not having the straight antagonism the two Glasgow club would have derived from oppositional  community links?

I vaguely remember relatives indicating Everton were loosely seen as the team Catholics were more likely to support  back in the 50's/60's, but that eroded with Liverpool's success, the high number of Irish players and the bonds through the Celtic connections.

This keeps cropping up mainly because in recent years, tits on the blue side and especially resurrected again by that catcher in the rye cunt. There's nothing in this everton were seen as the catholic club and Liverpool protestant.

If everton fans knew their history, they'd know their club was formed by Methodist which is as protestant as you'll get.

I think a lot of tits like catcher think of everton as being linked to catholisism because they use Celtic's songs 'If you know your history' plus a lot of disinformation. The blerts think because they sing it, Celtic sing it and they're catholic, that everton's leanings are too.

That catcher spreads misinformation like a flat earther. He just repeats shit about 'no catholic players at Anfield' during the 50s and 60s, ad nauseam, despite being wrong, but it must be true. How the fuck does he know, he isnt even from these shores, is he?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

This keeps cropping up mainly because in recent years, tits on the blue side and especially resurrected again by that catcher in the rye cunt. There's nothing in this everton were seen as the catholic club and Liverpool protestant.

If everton fans knew their history, they'd know their club was formed by Methodist which is as protestant as you'll get.

I think a lot of tits like catcher think of everton as being linked to catholisism because they use Celtic's songs 'If you know your history' plus a lot of disinformation. The blerts think because they sing it, Celtic sing it and they're catholic, that everton's leanings are too.

That catcher spreads misinformation like a flat earther. He just repeats shit about 'no catholic players at Anfield' during the 50s and 60s, ad nauseam, despite being wrong, but it must be true. How the fuck does he know, he isnt even from these shores, is he?

But Celtic sing You'll Never Walk Alone so how does that work in the minds of Evspanyolians? 

On 28/03/2021 at 22:42, Bjornebye said:

Setting examples now

I have watched it again. It still brings tears to my eyes or happen I am jkust a silly old fool.

The fulfillment of the new stadium and the Goodison project will do more the city than has ever been done by that lot over the way something as Evertonians we sould always be proud of.
I know the first bit especially I was like wow.. real tear jurker, we do have an amazing football team... I honestly cannot think of any other club that does so much for it's own city.

Could of easily sold the land and make some sort of recoup, however the club has decided against this especially during this difficult times.
The club has not only said that we don't want money for the land but have also said we will help regeneration in the goodison areas! Building places that can be used by the people of the city no matter whom you support...

Also they haven't gone and cut corners by the docks but spending over 50m pounds in restoring the old docks and buildings l

Absolutely amazing!!

Setting an example to other city's and leading from the front.

I don't feel we're getting enough credit in the media

Holier than thou FC, is there a more virtuous club and set of fans on the planet?

In the words of Ray Von it brings a tear to your japs eye it really does.

Nothing has been built, nothing has been restored, nothing has happened at Goodison the teery eyed loons.

I currently have a body and face like Chris Hemsworth as muscular Thor, Lizzie Olsen and Jen Lawrence sorting out my every sexual fantasy a billion in the bank and a house on Mars. I’m just loving life, oh hang on those things have never happened.

3 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Nothing has been built, nothing has been restored, nothing has happened at Goodison the teery eyed loons.

I currently have a body and face like Chris Hemsworth as muscular Thor, Lizzie Olsen and Jen Lawrence sorting out my every sexual fantasy a billion in the bank and a house on Mars. I’m just loving life, oh hang on those things have never happened.

Still time mate, still time.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Halcyon Days said:

Would be interesting to get an expert insight into it definitely. I always thought it was down to the clubs residing in the same area of the city meant the communities they tapped into were also the same mix of people. Maybe things would be different and more in line with that dickhead Catcher’s dreamworld version of reality if the clubs formed individually and in opposite ends of the city, who knows. I do find it amazing there wasn’t an openly Irish club with the northern part of town having such strong celtic lineage but it didn’t happen and anyone pretending otherwise is kidding themselves. I’m proud of the football heritage of our city and fuck gobshites like that bitter trying to twist and sully it. Cunt.

There’s a book called Irish, Catholic and Scouse that might have some insight. I think there’s a bit about North End v South End footy match. 

This is a good article as well.

https://beyondthelastman.com/2021/02/17/1984-the-friendly-final-in-a-time-of-revolution/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Football came relatively late to Liverpool - certainly later than to other industrial cities and areas. We didn't tend to have the same type of people who traditionally set up clubs as elsewhere in the country due to the more mercantile class in the city. In truth, it was always a little different here. As I've said before on the site there was no religious allegiance to either club and that comes straight from Tony Mason who would know better than anyone, and certainly some know-nothing, hate-spewing, bitter, woolyback cunt. Indeed, it was football here that helped erode sectarianism to a degree. I'm going to have a look at the article above but without havuing done so already, I'm guessing it's from a PhD at Liverpool uni that looked at sectarianism in the city as there was a chapter on football and the two clubs in that.

Edit. Not from the same PhD author.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

But the Government haven't objected to those things happening so the rest is just a formality.

1 hour ago, Halcyon Days said:

Holier than thou FC, is there a more virtuous club and set of fans on the planet?

In the words of Ray Von it brings a tear to your japs eye it really does.

Can we not just refer to them as deluded cunts

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

There’s a book called Irish, Catholic and Scouse that might have some insight. I think there’s a bit about North End v South End footy match. 

This is a good article as well.

https://beyondthelastman.com/2021/02/17/1984-the-friendly-final-in-a-time-of-revolution/

Good read that nice one. Hooton’s gone up in my estimation didn’t realise he did so much beyond the music success, definitely one of life’s good guys need more like him. When you think back to the 80s and the pride we had in the Scouse way of having a derby rivalry, it’s a real shame it feels so mental and poisonous from their side now. Part of me wants the blues to win something if only to rebalance their equilibrium and cut the nutty mad shit out but i think the hate might be ingrained in too many of them now. Plus all footy fans are just cunts nowadays so it probably wouldn’t change anything. 1995.

16 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Good read that nice one. Hooton’s gone up in my estimation didn’t realise he did so much beyond the music success, definitely one of life’s good guys need more like him. When you think back to the 80s and the pride we had in the Scouse way of having a derby rivalry, it’s a real shame it feels so mental and poisonous from their side now. Part of me wants the blues to win something if only to rebalance their equilibrium and cut the nutty mad shit out but i think the hate might be ingrained in too many of them now. Plus all footy fans are just cunts nowadays so it probably wouldn’t change anything. 1995.

Yeah some good articles on that site. 

Tony Evans the sports writer was in The Farm, and he wrote that book Two Tribes about the season after Heysel, some good stuff in that as well. Was only a kid at the time, but I’ve got that mug for the 86 final with friends and neighbours on. 

Yeah it’s a shame, we had something unique. But a lot of has changed outside of footy too.

I used to love to talk footy with other supporters but I just talk to mates now about us. 

• Upvote 1

I’d appreciate it if one of our good moles could start some conspiracy threads over on GoT and fish out the real life softheads. It’d be great if every time one of those bores pipes up you could just refer them to some comments that out them as flat earthers or lizard people enthusiasts.

15 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Yeah some good articles on that site. 

Tony Evans the sports writer was in The Farm, and he wrote that book Two Tribes about the season after Heysel, some good stuff in that as well. Was only a kid at the time, but I’ve got that mug for the 86 final with friends and neighbours on. 

Yeah it’s a shame, we had something unique. But a lot of has changed outside of footy too.

I used to love to talk footy with other supporters but I just talk to mates now about us. 

84 charridy shield went down lads and dads reds and blues what a day! Apart from result but I’m glad I witnessed first hand the way it was but we’ll never get it back. Goodison Derby in ‘92 in Gladys St (100’s of reds in there that night btw) was a bit different!

The internet’s caused a lot of it, polarising opinion on every subject known to man. You’re right it’s much easier nowadays to chat with like minded people rather than run the risk of falling into a cesspit of conflict but what’s the world to become without healthy debate? 

• Upvote 3

Some older fella I worked with a few years back said Shankly started all the animosity at the derbies with his "abrasive" personality and sheer hatred of Everton. Also that Harry Catterick was the complete opposite and a gentleman. 

Then completely contradicted himself by having the Brian Labone quote of one Evertonian being worth 20 Liverpool fans on his desk. 

Even though most derbies in the 80s were fine. It's only since they have been completely shite the last 20 odd years and blame Heysel for everything. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Some older fella I worked with a few years back said Shankly started all the animosity at the derbies with his "abrasive" personality and sheer hatred of Everton. Also that Harry Catterick was the complete opposite and a gentleman. 

Then completely contradicted himself by having the Brian Labone quote of one Evertonian being worth 20 Liverpool fans on his desk. 

Even though most derbies in the 80s were fine. It's only since they have been completely shite the last 20 odd years and blame Heysel for everything. 

I was only young in the early 90's but thats when it really switched. Them nearly going down in 94 (Limpar dived) and then the whole dogs of war thing under Royle created a siege mentality and seeing as nobody else gave a fuck about them except us they invented this absolute hatred of anything red. It's just got worse as more kids have grown up with that spite, no chance it will ever return to how it was. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Moyes and Kenwright turned it sour.

Saw a fat cunt wearing one of their home shirts earlier. Genuinely the first person I’ve seen wearing one in the nine years I’ve lived down here. I’ve only met one blue as well. Dead nice old fella, lived in Suffolk all his life. I see him in town and have a quick chat every now and again. None of the bitter stuff, insulated from it I guess. Mind you, I knew plenty of older fellas in Speke who never bought into all the bile. Redshiteeee. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

They chat bollocks and dont know their history. Shankly and Catterick got on well. Shankly even used to drop into bellfield, their shithole of a training ground before finch farm, after Bob told him he was gaffer now and turning up at Melwood was undermining him.

If Shanks was an 'abrasive' character with pure hatered of the shite, I doubt they'd have welcomed him at their training ground.he'd have been as popular as richarlison would be at Kirkby right now.

32 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

They chat bollocks and dont know their history. Shankly and Catterick got on well. Shankly even used to drop into bellfield, their shithole of a training ground before finch farm, after Bob told him he was gaffer now and turning up at Melwood was undermining him.

If Shanks was an 'abrasive' character with pure hatered of the shite, I doubt they'd have welcomed him at their training ground.he'd have been as popular as richarlison would be at Kirkby right now.

Exactly. They need to make their mind up as well as they "welcomed him with open arms" at Bellefield according to most of them and they use it as a stuck to beat us with. 

This old fella was old enough to remember the pre Shankly era so probably couldn't handle us being successful after being under achievers.