Quantcast
*Shakes head* Everton again. - Page 2205 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Fugitive

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, aws said:

This is about the proposed new changes which are being discussed not this season. Basically the gripe is that in circumstances where Everton (or any other club) don't qualify because they're fifth one of the top ranking clubs might be offered one of the four new extra places. The answer is for Everton to either qualify off their own bat by finishing in the top four or to start winning it consistently and earn a top ranking themselves. The suggestion seems to be that Everton should get one of the extra places even though they've done nothing to earn it. 

I think we should all expect at some point there'll be a way for the super clubs to take part even when they don't qualify. It stands to reason it'll happen - and not just because the super clubs want it, but because TV and sponsors (at club and uefa level) will both want it. 

 

If it's going to happen, I think it should be merit based, but not at the expense of clubs within domestic leagues. If we say England maintains its 4 slots - I think this should be supplemented by any potential CL and EL winner like today, plus some system of filling slots based on historical contribution to the competition. So I would allow UEFA to have a certain number of slots in the competition, perhaps say 4 like a big domestic league like England or Spain. Then uefa get to allocate in the 1st instance to the winners of the CL and EL should they not have already qualified. Then the remaining places (which still may be 4) go to the 4 most successful teams historically who haven't qualified. Maybe it could be limited to some extent say by teams who've qualified for europe say 2 or 3 times in the last 5. 

 

They're planning to reformat the competition anyway, so the idea of adding 4 teams for uefa (2 of them kind of exist anyway), doesn't seem such a difficult thing to achieve anyway. We've accepted shite like winners of the fair play league getting into the uefa for years, so this seems relatively uncontroversial to me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think we should all expect at some point there'll be a way for the super clubs to take part even when they don't qualify. It stands to reason it'll happen - and not just because the super clubs want it, but because TV and sponsors (at club and uefa level) will both want it. 

 

If it's going to happen, I think it should be merit based, but not at the expense of clubs within domestic leagues. If we say England maintains its 4 slots - I think this should be supplemented by any potential CL and EL winner like today, plus some system of filling slots based on historical contribution to the competition. So I would allow UEFA to have a certain number of slots in the competition, perhaps say 4 like a big domestic league like England or Spain. Then uefa get to allocate in the 1st instance to the winners of the CL and EL should they not have already qualified. Then the remaining places (which still may be 4) go to the 4 most successful teams historically who haven't qualified. Maybe it could be limited to some extent say by teams who've qualified for europe say 2 or 3 times in the last 5. 

 

They're planning to reformat the competition anyway, so the idea of adding 4 teams for uefa (2 of them kind of exist anyway), doesn't seem such a difficult thing to achieve anyway. We've accepted shite like winners of the fair play league getting into the uefa for years, so this seems relatively uncontroversial to me. 

 

 

I think this is what is being suggested.  There  would be 4 extra places so the English top four would still qualify plus one of the 'historic" English clubs might in certain circumstances be given a lifeline qualifying place. Nobody is being denied a place they've earned but  UEFA get the chance to protect the "value" of the competition by giving an additional place to one or two of the big attraction clubs who might have had a shit season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aws said:

I think this is what is being suggested.  There  would be 4 extra places so the English top four would still qualify plus one of the 'historic" English clubs might in certain circumstances be given a lifeline qualifying place. Nobody is being denied a place they've earned but  UEFA get the chance to protect the "value" of the competition by giving an additional place to one or two of the big attraction clubs who might have had a shit season. 

Doesn't seem all that bad then. It's exactly what our owners would like obviously as it basically protects them against relegation, assuming the guaranteed funds from the CL can always keep us out of domestic relegation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I'd read the general feeling was that these positions should be used to guarantee group stage placement to champions of leagues that aren't consistently making it, but are well established European footballing nations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I thought I'd read the general feeling was that these positions should be used to guarantee group stage placement to champions of leagues that aren't consistently making it, but are well established European footballing nations. 

I thought we already had 4 teams go directly into the group stages? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought we already had 4 teams go directly into the group stages

Yeah, which is why I didn't expect the format expansion to include further places for English clubs (outside of extreme circumstances - like if we win it and finish outside top 4 again).

 

My point is, although the revised format could see big sides getting a spare spot, it might not be how it works out in reality (there are a few clubs where it would prob happen though).  We could have no expectation of it, let alone European no-marks like the Ev.

 

If there is an allocation to certain sides, they need to quantify it (if top 10 in the coefficient rankings and fail to qualify through the league, for example).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, which is why I didn't expect the format expansion to include further places for English clubs (outside of extreme circumstances - like if we win it and finish outside top 4 again).

 

My point is, although the revised format could see big sides getting a spare spot, it might not be how it works out in reality (there are a few clubs where it would prob happen though).  We could have no expectation of it, let alone European no-marks like the Ev.

 

If there is an allocation to certain sides, they need to quantify it (if top 10 in the coefficient rankings and fail to qualify through the league, for example).

Well the we win it and finish outside the top 4 is already solved. Both the winners of the CL and EL are automatic entry to the groups and top seeded.too. I thought the whole drive from the super clubs was to get in the CL regardless of their domestic form. I think it's absolutely designed for clubs like ourselves - for seasons like this if we don't win the CL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well the we win it and finish outside the top 4 is already solved. Both the winners of the CL and EL are automatic entry to the groups and top seeded.too. I thought the whole drive from the super clubs was to get in the CL regardless of their domestic form. I think it's absolutely designed for clubs like ourselves - for seasons like this if we don't win the CL. 

It definitely provides some contingency for it, but unless they formally lay out what criteria it follows I'm not sure it always will by default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It definitely provides some contingency for it, but unless they formally lay out what criteria it follows I'm not sure it always will by default.

The big clubs will insist on it being laid out in a way that's guarantees a place if any of the badge of honour clubs (plus man united) fail to qualify. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pidge said:

I thought I'd read the general feeling was that these positions should be used to guarantee group stage placement to champions of leagues that aren't consistently making it, but are well established European footballing nations. 

I think two of the four extra spaces are supposed to be used like you say (e.g. Ajax has been mentioned as a club who might benefit) and the remaining two for the highest ranking clubs who miss out via their league placing in a particular season. Basically UEFA want to have four additional spaces to allocate to clubs likely to shore up the viewing figures. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aws said:

I think two of the four extra spaces are supposed to be used like you say (e.g. Ajax has been mentioned as a club who might benefit) and the remaining two for the highest ranking clubs who miss out via their league placing in a particular season. Basically UEFA want to have four additional spaces to allocate to clubs likely to shore up the viewing figures. 

That helps, thanks. This is what I'd have said if I'd read the thing properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2021 at 10:14, AngryofTuebrook said:

Do we know yet if it was someone here who started that fire?

 

(Actually, looking at the GF, I'd be shocked if any of us would waste any delicious liquid accelerants on a mere arson attack.)

I was over walton hall park a few weeks ago, its all properly fenced off so its either some feral little rats or an insurance job. Of course in the mind of an evertonian it has to be us because you know we are jealous of them or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Patrick Boyland
@Paddy_Boyland
Government has asked for more time to consider #EFC’s Bramley-Moore Dock stadium application. This does not mean project has been called in but does amount to an extension on the initial 21-day scrutiny period - which was due to expire tomorrow. Council saying this was expected No guidance yet on how much longer it will take
 
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

 

 

He's right we wouldn't, anfield is our home. What he should be questioning is why they are building their stadium when they can't afford the shit hole they currently occupy.

 

Let them build it, let it be the noose around their neck, let see how they sell it out when the prices reflect a new stadium and not a 9 year old's ST that they have been using g for the past 20 years.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they've sneaked through a share offering recently (or i didn't see it reported anyway). they've created a new 100,000 shares (previously 35,000), which i believe Moshiri will be using to write off some of the debt he is owed. 

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00036624/filing-history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×