Quantcast
*Shakes head* Everton again. - Page 2171 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Fugitive

*Shakes head* Everton again.

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

He was just handed appearances for about 3-5 years for both England and United.  It’s not as incredible an achievement when United can’t get rid of you because they’re paying you too much and every England manager is too scared to drop you.  He was a very good footballer up until about 26 when his abuse of his body caught up with him.  He never carried any team he played in though.  By the time the “golden generation” had retired from internationals he may as well have done because he was that shit.

Oh come on. No Englishman has ever scored more in an England shirt. The mancs are the 2nd most successful club in English history and he's their leading scorer. And he wasn't even an out and out striker. All players get picked after their best and everyone who's ever pulled on an England shirt has had the opportunity to score as many as Rooney and failed. Plenty at manchester united went before him and never hit that tally. He probably wouldn't be in my top 10 English players - but I don't think about stuff like that too much. Maybe he would make a front 2, I'd have him before shearer, Owen and lineker who are 3 I can think of who were England's leading men in my lifetime. Rooney is a fucking bellend, who would rank in the "deffo wouldn't want a pint with him category", but I'd be amazed if there's been an English striker before or since who wouldn't swap their careers for his aside from perhaps ones who won a world cup. Rooney might not have hit the heights many thought when he broke into the scene as they thought he'd be the English maradona, but despite that he had an amazing career. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Must have been against someone else as he flipped at the end of the game. It was 0-0 and the ingerland media went mad because they thought that Algeria should let them win 5-0.

Haha, thanks for reminding me. 

I looked it up and it was actually against Uruguay in 2014, the one where Suarez basically hopped out of a wheelchair to knock Ingurland out with two goals.

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Oh come on. No Englishman has ever scored more in an England shirt. The mancs are the 2nd most successful club in English history and he's their leading scorer. And he wasn't even an out and out striker. All players get picked after their best and everyone who's ever pulled on an England shirt has had the opportunity to score as many as Rooney and failed. Plenty at manchester united went before him and never hit that tally. He probably wouldn't be in my top 10 English players - but I don't think about stuff like that too much. Maybe he would make a front 2, I'd have him before shearer, Owen and lineker who are 3 I can think of who were England's leading men in my lifetime. Rooney is a fucking bellend, who would rank in the "deffo wouldn't want a pint with him category", but I'd be amazed if there's been an English striker before or since who wouldn't swap their careers for his aside from perhaps ones who won a world cup. Rooney might not have hit the heights many thought when he broke into the scene as they thought he'd be the English maradona, but despite that he had an amazing career. 

I'd have him ahead of Owen but I think Lineker was superb for England. I wouldnt like to compare him to Shearer as I think they are different types of players.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Em City said:

He scored one World Cup goal. It was a tap in from 2 yards, against Algeria I think?

Uruguay in 2014.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd have him ahead of Owen but I think Lineker was superb for England. I wouldnt like to compare him to Shearer as I think they are different types of players.

Well to be honest I wouldn't compare him with any of them, but it seems that's what we have to do if we're trying to pick something as subjective as a "best". Lineker would be the 1st to say it's about how many you score as a forward and Rooney is top of the pile. He played a lot of games, but then despite finishing his career what feels early, the lad was flying when he was 18 in the euros in 2004. I think my point really is Rooney was in the top drawer of English footballers. We don't have a maradona etc, one of those true world greats or certainly not in my lifetime, so if we can put the achievement of 66 to one side (as I think that elevates those players above all that have played for England), Rooney is from a category of top English players. And he has a scoring record at club and country that also sets him aside from everyone before and since in those colours. I don't think he's the best ever, but I think he's in a group of players who were incredible footballers who's career all but a small number of professionals would kill to have. 

To try and say Rooney had anything but a stunning career to me feels a little bit like saying jelovic was a better buy than Suarez and pace goals don't count. 

His England record is based on the shit loads of meaningless friendlies and qualifiers against conference nations. That said, his Utd record is superb and nobody can knock his achievements. It says a lot about the talent the lad had that he retires as England and Man Utds top scorer and people will still think he kind of wasted his career (as amazing as it was). On his day he was as good as anyone I've seen play footy, his Utd debut was on another level and I've seen games where he has picked it up by the scruff of the neck and won it himself.

I think slur making him second fiddle to Ronaldo for a few years stunted his footballing growth. He had another level to go up which would have put him in the Messi/Ronaldo bracket but he was cast aside a bit. Ferguson never trusted him after he kicked up a stink in the media with the Ozil stuff. I do reckon if he had gone to Madrid in 2010 he could well have gone down in history as one of the greats. 

Superb player nobody can deny that. Its a shame for him that there will always be a "what if' hanging there. 

• Upvote 1

Rooney was a very very good striker, his goals record backs that up.

Taking aside that he only really pulled on an Everton or United shirt in his career (apart from England as well) the one thing I felt he could have helped with, given the almost god like position he had at old toilet, was the enmity between us and them.

He perpetuated it, despite being a scouser, and I think had he made a subtle reference to the shite Ferdinand, Neville et al were coming out with, then I’d think a lot more of him today than I do.

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

That goal fucking destroyed me to be fair, infuriating season. Think of the the legit goal we had chalked off against Stoke at Anfield in 0-0, hitting post twice at britanna, drawing 2-2 with hull after coming back from 2-0 down with more than a half left to play, Mido’s pen against us for Wigan, drawing with fucking Fulham and West Ham at Anfield.

1 hour ago, LFC 6 Times said:

That goal fucking destroyed me to be fair, infuriating season. Think of the the legit goal we had chalked off against Stoke at Anfield in 0-0, hitting post twice at britanna, drawing 2-2 with hull after coming back from 2-0 down with more than a half left to play, Mido’s pen against us for Wigan, drawing with fucking Fulham and West Ham at Anfield.

The Hull one was a pisser as you say we went two down and then the team just sort of went hell for leather to get back to 2-2 and I thought we’d win this about 5-2 and yet second half we barely mustered a shot it was like Rafa got them in and sucked all the energy out the team .

The Arsenal 4-4 was another shite one we played them off the park yet everything Arshavin hit went it ..I think the cunt only scored one other goal for them when they beat us the following season ..Or maybe it just felt like that 

On 17/01/2021 at 10:52, coachpotato said:

Rooney was a very very good striker, his goals record backs that up.

Taking aside that he only really pulled on an Everton or United shirt in his career (apart from England as well) the one thing I felt he could have helped with, given the almost god like position he had at old toilet, was the enmity between us and them.

He perpetuated it, despite being a scouser, and I think had he made a subtle reference to the shite Ferdinand, Neville et al were coming out with, then I’d think a lot more of him today than I do.

He seemed to be alright with them singing their particularly sweet and lovely "Build a bonfire" song. You'd have to be pretty thick skinned to ignore that, as a Scouser.  But i guess, given the fact that he jibbed his boyhood loves off at 18 to sign for United, he must be. Thick skulled, at the very least. 

On 19/01/2021 at 15:15, Doctor Troy said:

McCall's last minute leveller at Wembley in '89. Ok, extra time was a wasted effort and they went on to lose a third final to Liverpool but, when Stewie cracked that one in ........... take that, you Redshite losers!

Bluenose caretaker made a beeline for me yesterday. Talk of the powershift, Klopp is finished, point by point comparison to his disastrous last season at Dortmund, struggle to get top 4. 

I offered him pound a point between us at the of the season, like I did at the start of it. He flapped it and declined. 

• Upvote 7

1993-2001Bill Clinton

2001-2009George W. Bush

2009-2017Barack  Obama

2017-2021Donald J. Trump

2021-Joseph R. Biden

Seen a few Evertonians laughing and getting all giddy about America having more presidents since we last scored a league goal. Bit of perspective here blues, here's a list of US Presidents since Everton last won a trophy. 

Ronald Reagan was the president the last time Everton won the league. Then George Bush's Dad after that. 

• Upvote 3