You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

23 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

Gazza?

Even at their worst times he failed to turn up with a fishing rod, some beers and a bucket of fried chicken, so he can't care that much about them either. 

I think you'll find that his Everton training sessions were preparation for the Moaty intervention.

• Upvote 1

In all seriousness I've always found their reverence for Dunc to be downright weird. I'm not going to trash him or rewrite history - he was a perfectly decent PL striker in the 90s. But it would be like us elevating a perfectly decent PL striker like Craig Bellamy or Peter Crouch to our hall of fame. They're both good players who are remembered fondly - and Crouch has a certain cult status attached to him as well - but there's no way we're holding them up alongside Billy Liddell, Kenny Dalglish or John Barnes.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Manny said:

In all seriousness I've always found their reverence for Dunc to be downright weird. I'm not going to trash him or rewrite history - he was a perfectly decent PL striker in the 90s. But it would be like us elevating a perfectly decent PL striker like Craig Bellamy or Peter Crouch to our hall of fame. They're both good players who are remembered fondly - and Crouch has a certain cult status attached to him as well - but there's no way we're holding them up alongside Billy Liddell, Kenny Dalglish or John Barnes.

That's just it though isn't it? We've got loads of players who have enriched our history, even when the team itself wasn't that good. They haven't, hence why a big Scottish fella who scored the odd goal against Liverpool and got an Everton tattoo is going to be lauded as a great by them. 

Levels.  

Where would someone like Kuyt sit in their echelons?

he was well liked here and was a good player for a few years and is fondly thought of since leaving, but he’s nowhere near legend status.

The comparison of goals and games between fund and heskey has been done before but Kuyt was better and generally more fondly thought of than him, but for me a good bar for comparison.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Was Alan Ball actually any good?. My old boss used to go on about him like he was better than Maradona. 

Souness was on the radio last week and he said Alan Ball, Zico and John Giles were the only players he could never get near. I watched a lot of old games during lock down and Ball stood out to me, he was different to everyone else at the time.

15 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

he was well liked here and was a good player for a few years and is fondly thought of since leaving, but he’s nowhere near legend status.

The comparison of goals and games between fund and heskey has been done before but Kuyt was better and generally more fondly thought of than him, but for me a good bar for comparison.

Kuyt, when asked, "Whats everton's nickname?", replied, "The Bitters.".

Legend.

• Upvote 8

17 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

They go on about him more than us 

17 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Based on that challenge on Phil Neville, if he had played for them they'd have a statue up of him outside Goodison by now

Baines and Coleman have been decent players for them. I definitely thought Baines would have moved to a bigger club at one point. I still can't believe Eto'o payed for them. He had played for Anzhi Makhachkala before he went there though and 3 goes in 14 games proves he wanted a pay-day. I bet he was gutted when he got paid in Blossom Hills, Sterling Dual and a free 6 month on-line subscription to the Echo. 

36 minutes ago, No2 said:

Souness was on the radio last week and he said Alan Ball, Zico and John Giles were the only players he could never get near. I watched a lot of old games during lock down and Ball stood out to me, he was different to everyone else at the time.

Fair enough, wasn't aware that he was that good, not old enough to have seen him play but never really paid any attention to him. Just heard a load of Evertonians hyping him up.

49 minutes ago, No2 said:

Who would you compare Ball too who's playing now 

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Thought they had bought the land. So in April it will have been 5 years and they haven't even bought the land?. Like Red74 said, why choose a site that has so many heritage concerns and hurdles to overcome when they could have easily built a stadium out by the East Lancs road with a massive amount of space, no planning concerns and close to motorway links etc?

Wonder if David Conn will do an article on how their indecision has run down Walton, ruined Kirkby town centre and now stalling on a major site that was originally earmarked for development by Peel?

Peel are probably made up as it takes the heat off them to build something there as they are halfway into a 30 year masterplan that has yielded two buildings at Princes Dock. The cruise line and IOM ferry terminals were separate from their "development"

Development moves at a glacial pace in Liverpool normally without people employing further stalling tactics. 

Sure I read they're taking out a 99 year lease on it