Quantcast
*Shakes head* Everton again. - Page 2060 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Fugitive

*Shakes head* Everton again.

17 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

For me it started in the mid 90s. They barely mentioned Heysel during the ban or the early part of the 90s. They were made up that the Mancs were winning because it pissed us off more.

Loads of us went to the pub by mine for the 1995 Fa cup final and were made up that they beat the Mancs, them winning a trophy didnt really bother any of the reds there. The next year we lost against the Mancs and all the blues turned nasty singing Cantona songs and rubbing our noses in it. Was working in a restaurant and the Evertonians were laughing about it all night saying how much they fucking hated us an that they were made up the Mancs were winning everything because it pissed us off.

Worked in an office after that and there were some proper bad bitter twats working there who were more arsed about Liverpool than Everton. But you pull them up on it and they get even nastier.

Went to the Gary Mc derby in 2001 and saw a lot of fights outside the ground. 

I would pretty much echo that as my thinking. 

I was working in the Raven that day. I was happy for them. I assumed they would be the same in 96. But it was the opposite, I found it a bit sad really as the cup finals in the 80’s had a street party feel with it.

i think you add in the Barmby transfer and the Gary Mac derby and it went proper sour around 2000.

I came home from uni that season and went to about half the games, including the travel. That cup treble year was boss, there was quite a few lads my age who’d not had the chance to travel, do the Europe trips and due to cheap flights it was really opening up.

Despite being on shit wages temping, and having loads of games due to cup progression loads of us made it work. I think they hated that.

The Evertonians just got more bitter as that season went on. I saw a blue from school in the Crosby on the day of the cup final. He was totally aggressive that three of us weren’t in Cardiff for the final, despite we were going to Dortmund on the Wednesday and Charlton the following weekend. All despite having been to 30 odd games and being on less than £200 a week.

But then if you get knocked out of the cups by Tranmere and Bristol Rovers in the early rounds (yeah I had to check) and can get free seasons tickets with a mobile phone contract, you can go the game

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

I would pretty much echo that as my thinking. 

I was working in the Raven that day. I was happy for them. I assumed they would be the same in 96. But it was the opposite, I found it a bit sad really as the cup finals in the 80’s had a street party feel with it.

i think you add in the Barmby transfer and the Gary Mac derby and it went proper sour around 2000.

I came home from uni that season and went to about half the games, including the travel. That cup treble year was boss, there was quite a few lads my age who’d not had the chance to travel, do the Europe trips and due to cheap flights it was really opening up.

Despite being on shit wages temping, and having loads of games due to cup progression loads of us made it work. I think they hated that.

The Evertonians just got more bitter as that season went on. I saw a blue from school in the Crosby on the day of the cup final. He was totally aggressive that three of us weren’t in Cardiff for the final, despite we were going to Dortmund on the Wednesday and Charlton the following weekend. All despite having been to 30 odd games and being on less than £200 a week.

But then if you get knocked out of the cups by Tranmere and Bristol Rovers in the early rounds (yeah I had to check) and can get free seasons tickets with a mobile phone contract, you can go the game

Yep, pretty much what I have experienced too. One of my brothers mates was laughing at the tickets for the semi final Vs Wycombe going on general sale saying it was embarrassing that a so called big club couldn't sell them.

I'd been to most of the cup games that year and eventually went to the final. I reckon I spent about £500-£600, yet this lad was still blagging his season ticket at Goodison as a child ticket which cost £90. He even got my brother a free ticket to one of their games that year. Despite both of them being 22. My ticket to the final cost £5 less than his season ticket, he had also never been to any away games in his life. 

I also had a similar criticism as to why I watched the uefa cup final in the Edinburgh pub even though I had been to Cardiff in the saturday, my train ticket was £70 and I stayed overnight. 

A particular flag at one of the finals "Speke Reds go to Barca, Roma and Porto, Speke Blues go to Rhyl, Towyn & Talacre" seemed to enrage them. 

16 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

When they stopped winning things. 

The problem is though, they have nothing to come back with, they don't just want to go "fair enough 1995" they want to reply but they have nothing to reply because their club has been so spectacularly mediocre. So it starts as a small minority and as the years have passed and they go further away from looking like a team that wants to compete, so more and more of them end up the same. I'm pretty convinced if they had a couple of seasons where they could get their joy from watching their own team as opposed to taking all their joy from our defeats or misery, it might not be so bad. 

Agree with all of this except for the end bit. If they had some success they'd just become entitled cunts as opposed to the vanilla cunts that they are now. Even the 'top of the league' shit that they come out with at the moment ends up more about us than them.

• Upvote 2

I have often thought, would going down make them a bit humble or some success mellow them a bit. Both being beneficial for everyone.

Well we have seen even limited "success" has not mellowed them, so only option is to get relegated. Even if relegation didn't make them humble it is where a nothing club belongs to be. 

I would love them to go down without beating us, knowing they are now unlikely to ever get another chance.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I have often thought, would going down make them a bit humble or some success mellow them a bit. Both being beneficial for everyone.

Well we have seen even limited "success" has not mellowed them, so only option is to get relegated. Even if relegation didn't make them humble it is where a nothing club belongs to be. 

I would love them to go down without beating us, knowing they are now unlikely to ever get another chance.

Apparently they are the most boring club in the football league, everyone else has at least won a trophy or have been able to celebrate a promotion since 1995.

Hard life being a bloo. 

This is a little off topic, when I was growing up Everton were the ”posh” club, Tory, while Liverpool were lower class. I remember back in the sixties when Fred Pickering, a carthorse centre forward was carried off at Anfield. The kop chanted „Fred‘s dead“. There was outrage in the Echo for weeks, holier than thou FC really came to the surface then.”Everton fans would never chant things like that, we are the class club”  Class is something koppites don’t have, they looked down their nose at Shanks as rabblerouser while Catterick was a gentleman. They have never got over the fact that they are no longer the top, class, club in the city which they were through the 50s till Shanks rebuilt us. Older evertonians resent us for this and the resentment has grown with our successes; it’s passed on through generations  and has become hatred which increases as our success is compared to their mediocrity. The only cure is that they cease to exist.

Edited by Peter Cormack
Added a sentence
  • Upvote 10

6 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

This is a little off topic, when I was growing up Everton were the ”posh” club, Tory, while Liverpool were lower class. I remember back in the sixties when Fred Pickering, a carthorse centre forward was carried off at Anfield. The kop chanted „Fred‘s dead“. There was outrage in the Echo for weeks, holier than thou FC really came to the surface then.”Everton fans would never chant things like that, we are the class club”  Class is something koppites don’t have, they looked down their nose at Shanks as rabblerouser while Catterick was a gentleman. They have never got over the fact that they are no longer the top, class, club in the city which they were through the 50s till Shanks rebuilt us. Older evertonians resent us for this and the resentment has grown with our successes; it’s passed on through generations  and has become hatred which increases as our success is compared to their mediocrity. The only cure is that they cease to exist.

Fred's dead baby, Fred's dead

8a00910edfc5475434aaa922f1250d2f.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

My Dad always used to say they had tons of fans coming over from ireland for years and obviously their strongholds in Wales. But Liverpool are a tourist club. If ya know yer history...

14 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

I was going to post something similar as to how they spent decades regarding themselves as the senior club, a different level to us as we'd never won the FA Cup etc and then things changed with Shankly and they had to suck it up for 20 years. Then the mid-80s arrive and they think they're nearly back on their perch but they fuck it up again.  Rivalry turns to bitterness as they start to blame us for all their woes and it's just got steadily worse over the years as every one of our many successes hit home and hating us becomes more important than supporting their own team. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

This is bang on Peter. People can go on about it started after Heysel or 5 years after or whatever. Ive always said they've never got over the fact that since the emergence of Bill's second great team, taken forward by Bob, Joe and the King they were no longer the 'senior' club in Liverpool.

Despite the fact that the trophy haul of both clubs being broadly similar to the promotion in the 60's, they were only better in that they had won the FA Cup and had spent a few seasons less in the 2nd Division.

Ive seen some of their fans say they should change their name to 1 FC Everton, like a few German clubs, to tell everyone they are the 'senior' club of the two.

They see us as the pupil usurping the master and they dont like it. It all more or less, stems from this.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Agree with all of this except for the end bit. If they had some success they'd just become entitled cunts as opposed to the vanilla cunts that they are now. Even the 'top of the league' shit that they come out with at the moment ends up more about us than them.

Maybe you're right. Also, I must have missed a lot of it, because most of their stuff I've found good natured, the likes of them getting songs to number one. They've spent more time in 1st place this season than something like 20 years combined, so they've a right to enjoy it and let's face it there's not a lot of joy in the world right now. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We’ve won 15 pieces of silverware since they last won anything. 15 

And let's be fair, for a good proportion of that time we haven't been great, but still managed to win things!

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

This is bang on Peter. People can go on about it started after Heysel or 5 years after or whatever. Ive always said they've never got over the fact that since the emergence of Bill's second great team, taken forward by Bob, Joe and the King they were no longer the 'senior' club in Liverpool.

Despite the fact that the trophy haul of both clubs being broadly similar to the promotion in the 60's, they were only better in that they had won the FA Cup and had spent a few seasons less in the 2nd Division.

Ive seen some of their fans say they should change their name to 1 FC Everton, like a few German clubs, to tell everyone they are the 'senior' club of the two.

They see us as the pupil usurping the master and they dont like it. It all more or less, stems from this.

By changing their name to 1 FC Everton it would just bring forth how relatively piss poor they've been in the last 128 years!

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe you're right. Also, I must have missed a lot of it, because most of their stuff I've found good natured, the likes of them getting songs to number one. They've spent more time in 1st place this season than something like 20 years combined, so they've a right to enjoy it and let's face it there's not a lot of joy in the world right now. 

There's not, so why waste it on them? 

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We’ve won 15 pieces of silverware since they last won anything. 15 

We've been in more European finals than they have won derbies since 2000.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Apparently they are the most boring club in the football league, everyone else has at least won a trophy or have been able to celebrate a promotion since 1995.

Hard life being a bloo. 

I've mentioned it before, but apart from us no other fans have any reason to remember they exist.  There's a scene in The Thick of It where Nicola asks Ollie for his opinion of Glen. He says "That's like asking my opinion of skirting boards: I'm sure they're there for a reason, but I can't think what it is."

That's Everton. 

• Upvote 1

Its a shame Southampton seem to be incredibly shit at the minute. I could really do with an Everton defeat to cheer me up. Won't be today though, easy Everton win this even last years Everton would win.

Cant stand the scummers but I'd love them to beat these little farts today. No doubt if that happened it will be all our fault for Richarlison getting wound up, Pickford being distracted by death threats etc etc. 

4 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

absofuckinlootly spot on assessment mate