Quantcast
*Shakes head* Everton again. - Page 1957 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Fugitive

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

Yeah, it depends who those loans are with I guess. Everything they're doing feels pretty h&g, although I firmly believe they'd still be here had we not had the financial crisis and it became so difficult to borrow. 


Yes, a rare benefit in a global recession. 
 

Hopefully The Ev won’t be so lucky in the forthcoming one coming next year (and being compounded by Brexit). 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, davelfc* said:

Without planning permission, I doubt it. Although they are free to move the traffic cone in preparation. 

I think they could probably start clearing the site without planning permission. However, I doubt they've even moved that come at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Gaul said:

I'm not sure it was going to cost them 20m a year, they were planning to spread the cost over about 40 years! And borrowing has never been cheaper. I get what you are saying and I also thought they would struggle to get the money before covid. I actually think covid won't have harmed them at all though, in fact there'll be all kinds of chances for grants or subsidised loans etc imo for large infrastructure projects and along with that it could also kick start the rest of the Liverpool waters scheme. 

I am not so sure revenues will go down at all. I think this for 2 reasons -

 

1. Overseas rights are already worth more than the domestic aren't they? And everything I've read has suggested this will only continue to grow. 

 

2. Sky are literally fuck all without premier league football. Nobody is arsed about any of it. If there was no football, I think a massive part of sky's subscription base would just go to Freeview and put their money into streaming services and wherever football ends up. There was a time the PL needed a TV partner, but I feel pretty certain they could go to market and do it themselves now and I would be shocked if they did it alone they couldn't double today's money. 

 

Ultimately I don't think the PL want to run in that direction right now, but they've got it as a bargaining chip. Sky have nothing to negotiate with. 

I'm with this view. 

I never thought the losses from TV would be as big as some said. 

 

If say Sky or Brin started demanding the huge amounts that was initially said the Premier league would likely have just told them when your contracts up you will not get any new deals. We will distribute ourselves online or go to a rival provider. That would pretty much kill any platform that basis itself on live sports. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:


Yes, a rare benefit in a global recession. 
 

Hopefully The Ev won’t be so lucky in the forthcoming one coming next year (and being compounded by Brexit). 

As I posted on the previous page, I genuinely believe this could be a blessing for them. I think when we start coming out of this crisis, there will be a lot of support for all manner of infrastructure projects and I genuinely believe there will be a drive to getting people back to working in offices because of the support it brings to the hospitality industry. If there is ambition at Everton , Peel and LCC I reckon there's every chance it could genuinely be a kick starter for that whole Liverpool waters area. While I'd laugh my tits off if Everton went down, I honestly don't mind if they get to build this stadium and I would be positive about it if I thought it would be genuinely helpful to the city. 

 

Having said all that, I still doubt the ambition of LCC and Peel and the intentions of moshiri, so there is a long way to go on this imo and if I was gambling, my money would still be where it was before the pandemic and on them not doing it. But I do think the environment to do it is better now than before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I'm with this view. 

I never thought the losses from TV would be as big as some said. 

 

If say Sky or Brin started demanding the huge amounts that was initially said the Premier league would likely have just told them when your contracts up you will not get any new deals. We will distribute ourselves online or go to a rival provider. That would pretty much kill any platform that basis itself on live sports. 

There's another part to the equation I should have also mentioned in my post you're replying to. And that is the success of this sky proclaimed "best league in the world" is intrinsically linked to the clubs within it being able to compete with Europe's finest for footballers. The idea sides in the bottom half of the league can take players from pretty much everywhere except the elite European teams is the very basis of the PL product. If sky attempt to short change the premier league, they actually undermine their own product. It's almost like making a TV show and having the choice to cast me or Al Pacino in the lead role. The show might be good, bad or indifferent, but not many people want to tune in to see me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

There's another part to the equation I should have also mentioned in my post you're replying to. And that is the success of this sky proclaimed "best league in the world" is intrinsically linked to the clubs within it being able to compete with Europe's finest for footballers. The idea sides in the bottom half of the league can take players from pretty much everywhere except the elite European teams is the very basis of the PL product. 

Which underlines the eternal peril of relegation for them. Which, if The Gaul is right, they will now be petrified of for the 40 seasons they’ll be paying this off - Everton usually look better than the three teams who go down, but they’ve come close enough far too often.

Sunderland and Leeds both managed to go into meltdown without the hindrance of massively expensive white elephant stadium which they couldn’t fill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

There's another part to the equation I should have also mentioned in my post you're replying to. And that is the success of this sky proclaimed "best league in the world" is intrinsically linked to the clubs within it being able to compete with Europe's finest for footballers. The idea sides in the bottom half of the league can take players from pretty much everywhere except the elite European teams is the very basis of the PL product. If sky attempt to short change the premier league, they actually undermine their own product. It's almost like making a TV show and having the choice to cast me or Al Pacino in the lead role. The show might be good, bad or indifferent, but not many people want to tune in to see me. 

Not even if you've got plasters on your nipples? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sky were paying £11m per match on their previous contract, though that’s come down a bit on the latest contract. Good luck to the PL getting that sort of money if they were to sell games directly, as that Sky contract included matches such as Newcastle v Palace and Bournemouth v West Ham. I think the days of the PL rinsing Sky for tv money are over, they’ll probably get a new deal on similar terms when the next contract comes up for tender. The growth will continue to be in the overseas rights, but even they will be impacted if we can’t get full houses in the stadiums soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ron B said:

Which underlines the eternal peril of relegation for them. Which, if The Gaul is right, they will now be petrified of for the 40 seasons they’ll be paying this off - Everton usually look better than the three teams who go down, but they’ve come close enough far too often.

Sunderland and Leeds both managed to go into meltdown without the hindrance of massively expensive white elephant stadium which they couldn’t fill. 

This season coming i reckon is massive for them. And not about if they can get in the top 6, as even with ancelotti they almost certainly can't. But the words of Coleman towards the end of the season suggest something is really bad in the dressing room and it's not one or two bad eggs, it's a culture there. Forgetting our rivalry for a moment I think it's fascinating if ancelotti can turn it around. It's a challenge he's never had before and perhaps he's only there for the money and doesn't care. However, being a top professional he is also pretty likely to really love the idea of fixing them and almost making his CV look better for the journey at the end of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with that. Maybe Ancelotti can pull them together but I think there is something rotten at the heart of the club and it begins and ends with the way they obsessively judge themselves against us. It's not just the fans as players, ex-players, previous managers, owners, administrators are all at it. It's something Ancelotti needs to change if they are going to be meaningful again. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spot on aws. Every conversation with an Everton fan will come back to a snide dig at us. I honestly reckon they would enjoy being Everton fans more if they got relegated and batted around the lower leagues with the odd Johnson Paint Trophy or Cup run to cheer. Imagine your benchmark at the start of every season going from "Finish above the Red shite" then by October "Finish 6th hope they don't get out the group stages" then by February "Top 10 is the minimum acceptable and hope they don't win fuck all come May" 

 

It's unhealthy for a lot of them. Imagine spending your whole life consumed by a club you don't support. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Spot on aws. Every conversation with an Everton fan will come back to a snide dig at us. I honestly reckon they would enjoy being Everton fans more if they got relegated and batted around the lower leagues with the odd Johnson Paint Trophy or Cup run to cheer. Imagine your benchmark at the start of every season going from "Finish above the Red shite" then by October "Finish 6th hope they don't get out the group stages" then by February "Top 10 is the minimum acceptable and hope they don't win fuck all come May" 

 

It's unhealthy for a lot of them. Imagine spending your whole life consumed by a club you don't support. 

Wonderful isnt it? 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, aws said:

Agree with that. Maybe Ancelotti can pull them together but I think there is something rotten at the heart of the club and it begins and ends with the way they obsessively judge themselves against us. It's not just the fans as players, ex-players, previous managers, owners, administrators are all at it. It's something Ancelotti needs to change if they are going to be meaningful again. 

Agreed - obsession with us drives unrealistic ambitions to catch up and overtake us very quickly. If you can’t do that in one season, then off you go. Then it’s wash, rinse and repeat ad nauseoum and ad infinitim. That will never, ever change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2020 at 12:32, Stickman said:

Oh yea of little faith ....

Now I know next to fuck all about the building trade but I wouldn’t have thought a Saturday is a day you start work on a major building project 

 

@TheGwladysSt

Glenigan has confirmed that work is set to begin on Bramley-Moore Dock this Saturday.
Start date 1/8/2020

End date. 1/8/2023

contract period 36 months 

 

EeIQsREWsAI-8iK?format=jpg&name=large

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Scheme comprises application for full planning permission..."

 

That suggests to me that the work that was due to start on Saturday is finalising the planning submission.   Any moving of cones or planting of spades is contingent on that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

"Scheme comprises application for full planning permission..."

 

That suggests to me that the work that was due to start on Saturday is finalising the planning submission.   Any moving of cones or planting of spades is contingent on that.

So... the “work” that starts on Saturday is paperwork? Desperate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

This season coming i reckon is massive for them. And not about if they can get in the top 6, as even with ancelotti they almost certainly can't. But the words of Coleman towards the end of the season suggest something is really bad in the dressing room and it's not one or two bad eggs, it's a culture there. Forgetting our rivalry for a moment I think it's fascinating if ancelotti can turn it around. It's a challenge he's never had before and perhaps he's only there for the money and doesn't care. However, being a top professional he is also pretty likely to really love the idea of fixing them and almost making his CV look better for the journey at the end of it. 

It’s also a no-lose for him. Money aside, his record won’t be judged based on what he does at Everton - whether it’s a wild triumph or a horrible disaster (I’m assuming that ‘Wild triumph’ won’t involve winning league or European titles here, an assumption I hope you will all forgive). 
Only Bob and Zidane can match his three European Cups; he’s won the league in England, Germany, Italy and France; he led Real and Milan to become World Champions; and evening as a player he won Serie A three times plus the European Cup twice. 
So even though he’s a consummate pro, this isn’t the job that will define him. Worst case scenario it’ll be like Cruyff’s final season at Barcelona, or Del Bosque’s last couple of years with Spain - a postscript to an absolutely sensational management career. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

This season coming i reckon is massive for them. And not about if they can get in the top 6, as even with ancelotti they almost certainly can't. But the words of Coleman towards the end of the season suggest something is really bad in the dressing room and it's not one or two bad eggs, it's a culture there. Forgetting our rivalry for a moment I think it's fascinating if ancelotti can turn it around. It's a challenge he's never had before and perhaps he's only there for the money and doesn't care. However, being a top professional he is also pretty likely to really love the idea of fixing them and almost making his CV look better for the journey at the end of it. 

Agree with this. Ancelotti has to change the shite's mindset of always using Liverpool as their excuse for failure. Much like Jurgen's turning doubters into believers, if you will.

 

Will be interesting to see if Carlo has the wherewithall to carry it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ancelotti will always be judged and revered for what he has done in his long and distinguished history, not by what he couldn't do, in the twilight of his career. His successes, both domestic and European will preserve his legacy, and the tiny blip on the radar, or Everton, if you prefer to call them by their chosen name, will be shrugged off and forgotten as inconsequential. Fitting, really.

 

That BBC article is damning and unforgiving at every turn. Great read, indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Sky were paying £11m per match on their previous contract, though that’s come down a bit on the latest contract. Good luck to the PL getting that sort of money if they were to sell games directly, as that Sky contract included matches such as Newcastle v Palace and Bournemouth v West Ham. I think the days of the PL rinsing Sky for tv money are over, they’ll probably get a new deal on similar terms when the next contract comes up for tender. The growth will continue to be in the overseas rights, but even they will be impacted if we can’t get full houses in the stadiums soon.

There'll become season ticket of some kind. Or they'll strike deals with a global streamer line Amazon and fuck off domestic and world rights through that type of platform. The key here is sky have no platform anyone is arsed about if they lose the PL. The PL football rights and the reason for sky's existence, without it it'll be worthless, as sky have just found out when people started cancelling during the pandemic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

Yeah, a point I found most interesting was this "Who will take Sigurdsson, Fabian Delph, Cenk Tosun, Theo Walcott and even Alex Iwobi, signed for an eye-watering £34m from Arsenal on deadline day last summer?" . They have an entire squad of shit players, so are these the bad apples Coleman was referencing previously? 3 or 4 of them would start most games, so it's fine you say you want rid of them, but how are they replacing them and want do they do if they can't get rid and the poison stays in the dressing room? 

1 hour ago, Ron B said:

It’s also a no-lose for him. Money aside, his record won’t be judged based on what he does at Everton - whether it’s a wild triumph or a horrible disaster (I’m assuming that ‘Wild triumph’ won’t involve winning league or European titles here, an assumption I hope you will all forgive). 
Only Bob and Zidane can match his three European Cups; he’s won the league in England, Germany, Italy and France; he led Real and Milan to become World Champions; and evening as a player he won Serie A three times plus the European Cup twice. 
So even though he’s a consummate pro, this isn’t the job that will define him. Worst case scenario it’ll be like Cruyff’s final season at Barcelona, or Del Bosque’s last couple of years with Spain - a postscript to an absolutely sensational management career. 

Absolutely. I am not saying this will define him. But his professionalism throughout his career would lead you to think there must be something in it for him other than money. I am not saying money would not be his driving motivation to take the job, just once he gets there, what's he to lose by trying to do it well? But he has the type of job on his hands he's never done before and that might be just why he's there. But back to my post earlier, it's why I think it's fascinating what'll happen there this year. And as much as I like ancelotti, I'm rooting for the tosuns of this world to win the day! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Gaul said:

As I posted on the previous page, I genuinely believe this could be a blessing for them. I think when we start coming out of this crisis, there will be a lot of support for all manner of infrastructure projects and I genuinely believe there will be a drive to getting people back to working in offices because of the support it brings to the hospitality industry. If there is ambition at Everton , Peel and LCC I reckon there's every chance it could genuinely be a kick starter for that whole Liverpool waters area. While I'd laugh my tits off if Everton went down, I honestly don't mind if they get to build this stadium and I would be positive about it if I thought it would be genuinely helpful to the city. 

 

Having said all that, I still doubt the ambition of LCC and Peel and the intentions of moshiri, so there is a long way to go on this imo and if I was gambling, my money would still be where it was before the pandemic and on them not doing it. But I do think the environment to do it is better now than before. 

We bought a new house down there 20 years ago and Peel were promising a mini city build back then. Heard the new apartments in the old tobacco warehouse aren’t selling nor getting the expected interest so can’t see them pumping money in while people are losing their jobs to build apartment blocks next to a footy ground that’s only going there to block the view of the sewage farm. 
 

Who wants to spend big money on a flat only to have 50,000 people pissing in your doorway every other week. There’ll be chaos down there trying to get in and out on a match day. 
 

Once the commonwealth games were lost they should have binned it and went to Gillmoss. However, they’ve backed themselves into a corner now and will probably build it and fuck themselves up for generations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HAHAHA! Looks like a few random things cobbled together and displayed at a car boot sale.

 

'Who would take Alex Iwobi, signed for an eye-watering £34M on transfer deadline day?'

 

What self respecting club would not want the opportunity to sign a transfer-window-winning player? They should be queueing up for the sheer privilege of it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Available Subscriptions

  • Last Match Report

  • Latest Posts

    • You just described the entire Everton fanbase.
    • Yeah, the ones the kids had LFC on, but not Nike, the red was as dark as last year's kit and the ones for the 2nd kit were just weird. 
    • The socks are not the same as proper ones....bit like the socks get with the smaller kids kits where they bundle them.   Just plain black - but do at least have LFC in grey writing on them, they are OK for kids.
    • Saturday Oct 24:   L 2 Sheff Utd 1. Not going to say too much about the game as it’s all covered in the match report. It’s a nice little win for us this because we’re having to deal with a lot of adversity at the moment and the lads have done well to come through it. What I want to talk about here though is Henderson’s post match interview. Fucking fantastic.   He was asked about the heavy fixture load and said “We do have a tough period coming up, yeah, but we love playing football. We want to play these games,” he explained. “If you look back a few months ago and were sitting in the house during lockdown, couldn’t go out…we’d have played football every single day if we could.”   “There are a lot of things going on in the world and it’s tough for people sitting at home. These things have a huge impact on people. So we really have to try and put a smile on the face - even if it is just for tonight. So for us, it is physically demanding, but we are used to it. And we enjoy it. We will use all the lads in the squad, everybody is needed for full season. But you have to enjoy it - I love playing football, we love it, enjoy it.”   You’d run through walls for that lad wouldn’t you? Imagine saying that a few years ago though, you’d have been laughed out of town. He was always a nice lad, a great pro and a good example to everyone, but now he’s the ultimate fucking leader.    He just gets it, doesn’t he? A lot of footballers are in their own little football bubble but Hendo just seems to know how people are feeling and what his responsibilities are. It would have been easy for him to complain about the number of games and the injuries we’re getting but he knows how entitled and tone deaf that would come across. So instead he goes the opposite way.   He’s fucking great. Because the other players all take their lead from him, so when he’s thinking something you know they all are because he’ll make sure they are. The influence he’s had on our recent success is fucking massive and goes beyond his performances on the pitch. He sets the tone for everything.   A couple of my mates have been saying for a while he’s the greatest captain we’ve ever had. At first I think it was a little tongue in cheek, but by the time he’s finished it’s something you might be able to make a really strong case for. He won’t have won the most trophies, he won’t have been a Superman type who took the team on his back and won games almost singlehandedly, but in terms of the all around complete package of leadership on and off the field and setting the example for everyone else to follow, he’s got to be right up there.   Sunday Oct 25:   Sick of hearing all this victim shit from and about Everton. If it’s not Ancelotti crying it in it’s pundits expressing their sympathy for Pickford. Today it’s Kevin Phillips.    “Let’s not forget that he has got to live in that area as well. It reminds me of the situation when Stephen Hunt crashed into Petr Cech and it resulted in Cech having to wear the head guard. A stigma becomes attached to you, whether you meant it or not. I am sure Pickford did not mean it. It was a clumsy tackle. I am pretty sure he is upset because he seems like a different guy.”   I doubt he’s losing any sleep over it to be honest. He’s probably upset that he took so much flak when it happened, but this notion that he’s upset at the thought of Van Dijk not playing again this season is ridiculous. I doubt he gives a fuck, because why would he? Footballers see this kind of thing as just a risk of the job.    I’m sure he felt bad when it happened and his apology was sincere, but don’t be telling me he’s even giving Virgil’s situation a second though because he isn’t. I don’t expect him to either, footballers need to be selfish and single minded and worry about their own game. I’m just sick of this ‘poor Jordan, he’s a victim in this too”.    Phillips also said “Now he has to live in that area and it is like Sunderland and Newcastle. You are either red or blue. Half of the city will hate him and the other half will put an arm around him.”   Ironic really, because that was also the case prior to him ending Virgil’s season. Only difference is the roles have been reversed.   Elsewhere, Harvey scored for Blackburn and had a cracking game apparently. It’s his first professional goal, which is nice. It’s going to be fascinating to see how he does there, because he’s still only a baby really.    Today’s reported transfer target is Upamecano from Leipzig. £40m he’d cost, although if we want him we should just send Naby back there in part ex and call it quits. No idea if he’s any good or not but I don’t sweat stuff like that these days because it’s clear that Klopp, Edwards and the staff know what they’re doing.   You know what they won’t be doing? They won’t be doing what Mark Lawrenson suggested they do. What’s that, I hear you ask. Wait for it, he’s only gone and suggested we sign……    Conor fucking Coady. Jesus Christ, Lawro. Not you as well? ‘If Liverpool are going to pay big money for somebody in January, they want absolutely ready-made. Conor Coady has had loads of shouts and he is a very good organiser who has played lots of games in the Premier League.’   Firstly, there is no ‘ready made’ replacement for Van Dijk because he’s the best in the world. Coady isn’t even the best at Wolves. But because he shouts and points and organises people (which he does very well to be fair, he always has done and he is a natural leader) that means he could come into our defence, playing with our high line?    Fuck me, I can’t believe how many intelligent people can’t see why this is a terrible idea. If he wasn’t a Red and an Academy graduate, would anyone be saying we should go for him? I’d rather have Eric Dier, and I think Eric Dier is shit.     This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article   Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 
    • Never Attribute to Malice That Which Is Adequately Explained by Stupidity
  • Latest Round Up

  • Popular Contributors

  • Football Betting Site Betway
  • top casino sites
  • new UK casino
×