You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

45 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Calvert-Lewin is only 1 goal short this season of the best tally Welbeck ever had, so I don't think he's worse at all. Both have/had the physical capacity and athleticism to do a job and be a nuisance against pretty much anybody in a given game.

Players quality is not just measured in goals. I heard a stat before yesterday's match that said man United's front 3 had more goals than ours this season (obviously that must have included rashford), but only a fucking idiot would choose their front 3 over ours. Wellbeck was not a great forward, but he had an ability in certain situations to be incredibly dangerous and extremely difficult to defend against. DCL is dead easy to defend against, I'm almost 59 and I'd fancy my chances. He's dead at his level at Everton while Everton are a bottom half team. If Everton want to get themselves challenging for the top 6, they'll need a better forward. In the current league my guess is only villa and bournmouth would take DCL over whoever they pick today. What's absolutely certain is he shouldn't be near the England team. 

Dear God, never make the stupid stop....

MarcelsGoat

MarcelsGoat

Clique Spokesperson

Nothing wrong with Mina, since Dunc came in he’s be alright, tbh our defence has improved, but still lots of work to do to get it top 6 quality.
You look around the league, the traditional and even the current top 6 and tell me any of them have top class CBs or even GKs.

Sure theres the odd 1 or 2, VVD at the vermin, Ederson at City.

But most of those sides are built on great midfields and superb attacks.

Its a myth you need a top-class back 5 to win stuff

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

DCL is another Big Drunk. A big lump to hoof the ball up to who'll never score 15 in a season but works hard. 

Big Dunc never worked hard. Lazy bastard who was always injured, never worked hard to get back to full fitness and had the lifestyle of a Sunday league player. As soon as Newcastle wanted to sign him he fucked off at the drop of a hat. Still cant understand why he's idolised by them just because he threatened people, scored 2/3 goals in a decade of derbies and got an Everton tattoo.

Hang on right. Leicester, 2016/17. Their only Euro appearance in that table. Knocked out in the quarters having played nobody. Yet for that, apparently they earned more than we did the following year as losing finalists. Really?

Go on, how does that work? 

32 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Hang on right. Leicester, 2016/17. Their only Euro appearance in that table. Knocked out in the quarters having played nobody. Yet for that, apparently they earned more than we did the following year as losing finalists. Really?

As league champions, they would have received a higher percentage of the TV money for English clubs. I think it used to be 40%:30%:20%:10% for 1st to 4th respectively, but I'd assume they redistribute the money as teams gets eliminated- as Leicester were the only English team in the quarters, they'd get all the money at that stage.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, rb14 said:

When you win the league you get a higher percentage of the tv money. We finished 4th so got the lowest percentage of the 4 teams. 

The year we got to the final against Real, the champions Chelsea went out in the group stage but we only overtook them in earnings by the time we played Roma in the semi final.

Mudface beat me to it.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Repping you both for taking time out to reply.

So if we win the CL next year, we are gonna be super rich

Yes, plus the domestic tv money will rise to about £178m. I think last year we earned about £152m when we finished second but actually earned more than Man City. 

UEFA want to introduce another set of fixtures in the CL which most clubs are opposed to but it would probably increase the revenue by another £40m

The Club World Cup set for June 2021 in China will be worth about £120m to the winners. 

Basically, unless you are in the Champions League you are miles behind. 

1 minute ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Repping you both for taking time out to reply

I only remember this because I'm sure it was a factor after the 2005 CL win. By rights, we should have gone in as the top English club for the 2005/06 competition- we'd get 40%, Chelsea (league champions) would get 30%, Arsenal 20%, and Utd 10%. Everton wouldn't have qualified, Arsenal and Utd would have to play a qualifier (maybe just Utd, can't remember).

As it was, Everton whined like fuck to retain their place, and the FA- in which David Dein, the Arsenal chairman was a bigwig at the time- decided that the top 4 would go in, UEFA themselves allowed us in in the end.

I don't think the issue of how the money would be divided up between 5 clubs was ever resolved, but Everton getting knocked out in their qualifier meant that we got the 4th place percentage for the group stages. We also didn't get country protection, so ended up drawn with Chelsea.

• Upvote 1

I'm old enough to remember when Everton were on the brink of going top of the league:

On 23/08/2019 at 14:54, manwiththestick said:

The brother is getting giddy on Facebook, doing a count down to finishing work so he can go the pub to watch Everton go top of the league. 

Things are so much better now.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Repping you both for taking time out to reply.

So if we win the CL next year, we are gonna be super rich

Interestingly given what Mudface and Dr Troy are saying it works counter to the whole "I hope all English clubs do well" bit, in fact we want all of the rest of them to crash out and lose badly so we get a larger slice of the pie.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Interestingly given what Mudface and Dr Troy are saying it works counter to the whole "I hope all English clubs do well" bit, in fact we want all of the rest of them to crash out and lose badly so we get a larger slice of the pie.

Exactly. If a team has to play a qualifier, we want them not to progress, and we certainly don't want any teams to get out of the group stages. I've never wanted any team other than ourselves to do well in Europe anyway- fuck 'em- the only caveat is that they do well enough overall to keep the 4 places for the CL as that maximises our chances of qualifying for it (hopefully that won't be an issue for the foreseeable future).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Basically yes. I think the only reason why anyone wanted another team to do well in the past was to help the Premier league coefficient as at one point UEFA were contemplating taking the 4th spot off the Premier League. Now there's no play off and all top 4 qualify so there's no reason for anyone to want another English club to do well. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Even when the co-efficient was an issue I thought ' fuck-em '

Agreed, though sometimes it is useful to have other teams distracted by European competition, but long flights to the furthest reaches of the Eastern block in the Europa league are perfect for this.