Quantcast
*Shakes head* Everton again. - Page 1720 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Fugitive

*Shakes head* Everton again.

8 minutes ago, magicrat said:

They do but they won't.  The headbangers won't let them. 

It's all very concerning. 

They'll carry on wasting their money on big name cast-offs and the latest young superstars and expect to be instantly restored to their rightful place at the top table.  Then blame us when it all collapses. 

The irony of Sunday’s disaster taking place on the same day that the FA allocated a minute before kick-off for us to consider mental health issues was likely not lost on many.

Emotionally and mentally, for Evertonians, the Anfield Derby has become a problem, a point on the annual football calendar primed to negatively alter our collective mood for days, if not weeks. Anger, frustration, sadness, despair, a lingering sense of shame, these are the emotional responses now regularly conjured up by this fixture. Where once, only defeat was feared, we now seem to be ploughing new footballing lows with every visit.

The shambles of the cup tie, losing to a deliberately weakened Liverpool, governed by a manager who had no real desire to win, represents a low many of us probably thought impossible. I, like many Blues, remain stunned by what occurred. Gutless, cowardly, devoid of the basic requirements of a football team, this was an anaemic display that will rightly haunt us for years to come.

But although in isolation the game was a sickening blow, from a wider perspective it merely forms another part of an increasingly toxic relationship with our neighbours. Toxic, in this instance for us alone.

This is not a rivalry anymore, it’s a destructive relationship. For decades. Evertonians have suffered at the hands of Liverpool; last minute goals, biased refereeing, winless droughts, jamminess, Heysel, the 86 Double, Anfield maulings, the list goes on and on. And with every blow, our self-esteem withers and their smugness and gloating grows. We have reached the point now where Everton have become a joke, a Kopite punchline.

We are the gift that keeps on giving, our perpetual disappointment a constant source of succour to the Red menace.

And so, maybe it’s time then, for our own sanity, to uncouple from this toxic connection to our neighbours. Because, realistically, how much more can Evertonians take?

As supporters, we are free to have whatever relationship we want with other clubs. But of course, history, geography and tradition skewers our perspective. But should they?

Football rivalries based on proximity once made perfect sense. Clubs were rooted in local communities, and ties of family and geography powered your relationship with a club. In the highest reaches of the game, that is evidently no longer the case. Elite football has changed beyond recognition over the past twenty years. Elite clubs are rootless, international brands, followed by a legion of fans whose geographic spread covers the globe.

The ‘Liverpool’ that we once rivalled no longer exists. If you want proof of how little Liverpool are rooted in the community, imagine picking up Anfield and relocating the stadium somewhere else in the country. The impact would be negligible. Tourists and domestic and international fans would flock there, no matter where it was. Liverpool are a ‘Liverpool’ club in name alone. They might have Scouse fans, but they are no longer what drives the club forward. They are now the minority. And not just internationally but also within Anfield itself, just a sliver of the selfie-taking, half-scarf wearing horde.

Our shared history with the Shite tethers us to them, making it a challenge to redefine our relationship. But the ‘rivalry’ no longer makes any sense. The factors that created it have lost their grip. We are free, should we choose, to no longer participate.

And it’s something that is really worth considering. I’ve never been one to subscribe to the theory that football must always be fun and entertaining. To me that smacks of the FIFA-isation of the sport that has begun to take hold in recent years, the desire to make it as frenetic and high scoring as a twelve-minute video game. The grinding reality of football, the fact that it can be boring and upsetting as well as entertaining is part of its appeal. It’s meant to be an emotional experience, one filled with heady highs and soul crushing lows, not one endlessly captivating love-in.

But the toxic relationship that exists between Everton and Liverpool goes beyond ‘soul crushing lows’. It is something pernicious, something poisonous, something that eats away at you. No supporter deserves to endure what we have been put through at their hands. It’s cruel and unnecessary. And it’s gone too far.

We deserve an end to this. It’s time for Liverpool and its fans to be somebody else’s problem. For generations we have put up with the worst supporters in the country. Take a minute and think about all the characteristics that you loathe in a football fan. I’m no mind reader but I bet the ‘qualities’ such as smugness, a sense of entitlement and a lack of perspective will feature. What’s being described here is the archetypical Kopite, Kopite-erectus. Humourless, thin-skinned, braying, obnoxious, self-righteous, smug, arrogant, they are unique in their awfulness. Why should it be us who have to constantly put up with them? We’ve done our shift.

I’ve followed the club long enough to realise that uncoupling from Liverpool will be no easy task. There’s too much water under the bridge for the breakup to be an easy one. But if you had a mate whose partner was objectionable, the kind of unbearable prick who puts everyone’s back up, and that ‘prick’ was making the life of your friend a living hell, you’d recommend that they gave them the elbow wouldn’t you?

You don’t stay together just because you’ve always been together. You don’t stay together just because that’s what other couples do. That might work for the Manchester couple down the road, but it doesn’t work for us. If it’s toxic, you get rid. It’s time for us to break away from the thing in our footballing life that makes us the most miserable. Time to tell Liverpool to sling their fucking hook.

I see they're taking it well 

• Upvote 5

What a fucking bullshit holier than thou piece of shit writing that is and we get labelled "always the victims". The boos the fucking boo hoos. Theyre shite by their own making, it's their fault it's no else's. 

• Upvote 7

Basically moaning about how shit they are some of it isn't their fault because of Heysel and dodgy referees. Then gets a snide little dig in about hardly any Liverpool fans being from Liverpool.

• Upvote 2

Haunt them for years to come...

That sentence alone would have sufficed and sums their fan base up perfectly. As for the toxic relationship, well that is pretty one sided and fuelled by their own fans who believe they have the given right to challenge us by skipping past the building blocks of success by trying to climb straight to the top. It really is a shit article. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

What the fuck does it even mean?

I can't decipher what the stupid cunt is suggesting.

I think *heysel* he’s saying they *norwegians* should pick Watford *half and half scarf* to be their rivals because *heysel again* they’re more in their level and *wall pushers* the can’t possibly compete *booo* with us anymore and it *handball* makes him sad.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

I took it as though they need to start calling southampton and Norwich rivals as although they are not local they are at the same level.

There was something about us being smug pricks but I think he is being bitter about us being fucking awesome at the moment and the fact we are gonna win everything. 

Hes a quarter of the way there to understanding that they need to realign their expectations on the team and to stop comparing themselves to others. Hes 100% there on realising Everton are shit.

• Upvote 1

But the ‘rivalry’ no longer makes any sense. The factors that created it have lost their grip. We are free, should we choose, to no longer participate.

52C43EE7-40C6-4B68-B4D4-719EC7A299AA.gif

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

The Men of Walton Vale have besieged the fortress at the Farm of Finches, led by Lid the Mighty. After decades of abuse at the hands of Lord Kenwright of Luvvie they have finally decided to rebel. The threat from power of the neighbouring land, it’s Queen Ann of Field and her Red Legions has finally thrown them over the edge. They fear Kenwright may bolt under the pressure and leave them at the mercy of the Red army led by Jurg of the Black Forest. 

Coming in the next instalment. Kenwright sends Maester Brands to speak with Lid.

The gates at the Farm of Finches swung open and the Maester in all his pomp strolled out, with him his trusty guardian Sir Duncan otherwise known as the Pigeon. A huge man of mountainous rage. They spoke briefly with Lid and ushered him and a few trusted men through the gates to discuss the end of the siege.

After what seemed like an age of secret discussion the Lid and his men came back through the gates. The Lid’s Man at Arms, Tight Lips spoke to the crowd on behalf of a subdued Lid. “ We will continue to lay siege here men, we demanded to see Moshiri Lord of the Loan but he would not see us, we demanded hostages to lift the siege but none would come forward “ he spoke badly and seemed possesssed. 

With the Red Hordes closing in on victory time was short for Lid the Migthy, unless a saviour from a far lad could be sought. Off to the Golden Arsenal.

To continue.....

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

That seems to start off as a measured response before turning into yet another bitter rant featuring Heysel and Clive Thomas. Remember that after Heysel they'd only won the Cup Winners Cup,the worst of the then three European competitions and had never played anybody decent other than Bayern Munich. Utterly deluded.

1 hour ago, suzy said:

Having a go at Speedo Mick is madness! They really are a strange bunch.

What they having a pop at him for? 

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That seems to start off as a measured response before turning into yet another bitter rant featuring Heysel and Clive Thomas. Remember that after Heysel they'd only won the Cup Winners Cup,the worst of the then three European competitions and had never played anybody decent other than Bayern Munich. Utterly deluded.

This, 100%. When I started reading I was thinking it was nice to see a bitter who was not acting the knobhead but unfortunately he kept on typing and insanity, bitterness and hatred prevailed.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I head that yesterday. TBH, I don't blame them for trying to do something but trying to claim it had nothing to do with the derby result is just wrong. If they didn't lose on Sunday, then Finch Farm doesn't get visited yesterday.

• Upvote 1

I hope they dont win at the weekend otherwise who knows where it leads.

The Peaky blinders turning up at Birmingham training ground because they took a couple of shit free kicks. 

He correctly identifies the irrational, unhealthy obsession they have with us then runs through his version of all the reasons it's our fault before coming to the conclusion that it's time for them to finish with us.  

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

“Once Liverpool have touched you, nothing will be the same”.

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

I think he's suggesting that Bloos take the rivalry far more seriously than is healthy, to the point of obsession and beyond  (no argument from me) but then he tries to blame that on us and our unique awfulness  - which sort of undermines his point. 

For all his Zen aspirations, come March he'll be a frothing loon - again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RobbieOR said:

I dont know if that 'piece' copies through to my post but it is a funny read. Yet again it highlights the undercurrents of the parochial mindset of the bluenose hordes. They yearn for their club to be recognised not just within England, Europe and beyond, yet refuse to allow the mere thought of wider appeal be a reality.

Yes, you possibly could relocate Liverpool FC to another location and in some respects, things wouldnt change. The same can be said of Real, Barcelona, the two Milan clubs, Juve, maybe even celtic and rangers. Guess what? That's what world wide appeal gets you and having a parochial outlook doesnt.

If everton fans truely want their club to remain a small fish in the football ocean, that's fair enough. But stop banging on about Liverpool and other clubs being the cetaceous giants in the same ocean because they have 'evolved' and you havent.

Fucking eejits.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I head that yesterday. TBH, I don't blame them for trying to do something but trying to claim it had nothing to do with the derby result is just wrong. If they didn't lose on Sunday, then Finch Farm doesn't get visited yesterday.

... except to strew flowers on the road the players drive in on.