You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

I'll avoid putting that picture up of danniella westbrook topless but you get the idea. 

Mutants 

phew.............

actually, you've just reminded me to check the thawing time for a 6 kilo Turkey. 

6 hours ago, Anubis said:

For the avoidance of doubt she’s talking about Ancelotti.

Vegas Toffee Girl

Player Valuation: £950k
I think he is the best manager in the world right now, with Zidane a close 2nd and then Pep. We couldn't have done any better.

I've been a fan of Ancelotti since 2013 when he was at Real Madrid. The players loved him, you could tell. They didn't want him to leave including Ronaldo, but it was Perez that wanted a change.

I think she’s right, they couldn’t have done any better. There’s a very good chance that under his management they will be a much better team, certainly they can’t be any worse than under Silva. 

The only other issue I have is her Liverpool derangement syndrome. The complete failure to see what is in front of her face, so any rational thoughts are withheld in favour of their blue delusion. 

Ancelotti isn’t even in the top ten of managers in the world ‘right now’ I doubt he’d make the top 20. That’s not taking anything away from his achievements. If he genuinely was the best manager in the world he wouldn’t be taking the Everton job would he? 

Time will tell just how he will do, whether he’s just in it for a pay day or if Moshiri is all talk and no more money is forthcoming. While I’d certainly chuckle if Everton got relegated, mainly because a lot of their fans appear to be right fucking idiots. I’m also in the group that would enjoy them up there competing at the top and having something other than sick chants to banter with us. 

Oh and officially the best team in the world ‘right now’ is Liverpool fc and therefore the best manager would be Klopp, right now. Merry Xmas Everton. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, mattyq said:

They did a study in 2011 and tourism contributed over 10% of the regions revenue. Almost £2 billion.

It'll be a lot more now

Football is responsible for about 30% of this with the vast majority LFC related

If Everton can increase their share we're talking billions of pounds coming into the city over 4 or 5 years

Call me old fashioned but I think this is a good thing for the City

That's all well and good, but why would building a stadium on the Mersey make all these random tourists come to the city? It'll still be Everton inside. Nobody will want to go near them and there's no romanticism to a new stadium. Some people come to anfield because it's anfield. BMD will be no different as the Emirates, Etihad or spurs stadium, it won't attract random tourists, it'll attract only fans. It will have an initial attraction but as soon as it's no longer shiny and new, it becomes nothing. Man City are playing 35 miles away, with billions pumped into their team and winning at an unprecedented level, yet they give the tickets away and still can't fill the joint. BMD will do fuck all for the city, unless of course chippy tits lends them the money and takes the city towards bankruptcy. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Anubis said:

For the avoidance of doubt she’s talking about Ancelotti.

Vegas Toffee Girl

Player Valuation: £950k
I think he is the best manager in the world right now, with Zidane a close 2nd and then Pep. We couldn't have done any better.

I've been a fan of Ancelotti since 2013 when he was at Real Madrid. The players loved him, you could tell. They didn't want him to leave including Ronaldo, but it was Perez that wanted a change.

There is a manager whose team have just become world club champions after only months ago being crowned European champions. He's definitely in the top two.

23 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If BMD is actually built (stop sniggering at the back!) will Everton become the next Derby,Stoke,Middlesborough,Sunderland and one or two others I have forgotten who play in the newest stadium a division or two below where they began?

Coventry, Leicester have gone down and recovered. It's some type of fantasy that building a new ground is some wonderful solution to all problems. It'll work for some, it will hinder others. I'm intrigued to see what happens with spurs, that is a lot of debt, but ultimately on the back of it I think they probably be bailed out by NFL. 

11 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Coventry, Leicester have gone down and recovered. It's some type of fantasy that building a new ground is some wonderful solution to all problems. It'll work for some, it will hinder others. I'm intrigued to see what happens with spurs, that is a lot of debt, but ultimately on the back of it I think they probably be bailed out by NFL. 

Leicester are an exception as they got the 'sugar daddy' most clubs are pining for. With Spurs and Arsenal,their status before building almost guarantees things like relegation wont be a problem. Everton on the other hand.

• Upvote 1

Although they've extended the cruise season, a lot of it still manages to take place in the closed football season. So why would a load of cruisers ignore the Beatles trips to go and walk around some empty stadium that belongs to a team very few will have heard of. Unless of course it's a cuckoo clock makers cruise, and they're as rare as a trophy at everton. 

Since Moyes first turned up they've made it quite clear that they're a local club for local people, that you're born a blue. So all you tourists can do one. I'm struggling to understand just who the fuck they think they are that millions will make the pilgrimage to some steel and glass building when there are many more interesting places in and around the city that they could go to instead. 

If I understand it correctly they're claiming the funding is in place for BMD, details of which will be revealed 'if' planning permission is given. You have to wonder if that's the out Moshiri needs and if then attention shifts towards ground improvement and away from the new stadium. 

Just how are a club allegedly £100m in the red this year that owe their owner £300m+ in loans, languishing at the bottom end of the premiership and having sold their best players and bought shite in return,  a decent prospect for a £500m+ loan?

They may fill their wooden shack at the moment on free tickets and 20000 child tickets used by adults. But if this unicorn stadium ever gets built how will the bitters react to the price hikes, especially when their spending power will be limited by loan repayments. Imagine their current predicament if their fans were paying 30% more per ticket and they had a huge stadium loan to repay. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, @@@@@@ said:

Although they've extended the cruise season, a lot of it still manages to take place in the closed football season. So why would a load of cruisers ignore the Beatles trips to go and walk around some empty stadium that belongs to a team very few will have heard of. Unless of course it's a cuckoo clock makers cruise, and they're as rare as a trophy at everton. 

Since Moyes first turned up they've made it quite clear that they're a local club for local people, that you're born a blue. So all you tourists can do one. I'm struggling to understand just who the fuck they think they are that millions will make the pilgrimage to some steel and glass building when there are many more interesting places in and around the city that they could go to instead. 

If I understand it correctly they're claiming the funding is in place for BMD, details of which will be revealed 'if' planning permission is given. You have to wonder if that's the out Moshiri needs and if then attention shifts towards ground improvement and away from the new stadium. 

Just how are a club allegedly £100m in the red this year that owe their owner £300m+ in loans, languishing at the bottom end of the premiership and having sold their best players and bought shite in return,  a decent prospect for a £500m+ loan?

They may fill their wooden shack at the moment on free tickets and 20000 child tickets used by adults. But if this unicorn stadium ever gets built how will the bitters react to the price hikes, especially when their spending power will be limited by loan repayments. Imagine their current predicament if their fans were paying 30% more per ticket and they had a huge stadium loan to repay. 

Fair points. If you drive away 'outsiders' and a fair few citizens of 'your city' are struggling financially,then where does the extra revenue come from?

Every time I think "it might be good for the city" I just look at the Echo comments page and the shite they spout about us. They seem to think as well that they are on the level of Barcelona or Real Madrid who've fallen on hard times and need a new manager or stadium to set them "back" on the path of world dominance.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, @@@@@@ said:

In fairness, they'll have four more home games on their season tickets. Heads fallen off etc

• Upvote 1

Ancelotti's challenges.

Carlo Ancelotti’s in-tray: overtake Manchester United and make signings count

The Everton manager’s to-do list also includes winning the club’s first trophy since 1995 and sorting the chain of command

Climb the table
Not too many Hollywood managers – major shareholder Farhad Moshiri’s expression – are tasked with relegation firefighting but then not many clubs go from Sam Allardyce to Carlo Ancelotti in the space of two years. Everton’s revival under Duncan Ferguson appears to have seen the club turn a corner in terms of results – at least they can see a way out of trouble now and the caretaker manager has successfully mobilised the Goodison atmosphere – but, with a stadium about to be built and a great deal of money already spent for little reward, Moshiri is aware relegation would be a disaster from which the club might take years to recover. It is understood a bonus for Premier League survival is to be written into Ancelotti’s contract.

Sign amazing players
Everton have been doing that assiduously over the last few seasons, without much notable success. There was a splurge under Ronald Koeman that failed to have the desired effect and another when Marco Silva arrived, with Allardyce getting a little money to spend in between. Jordan Pickford has been the only incoming player to deliver consistently. Gylfi Sigurdsson and Richarlison have their supporters but too many of Everton’s purchases have been cast-offs from top six clubs, such as Theo Walcott, Alex Iwobi, Morgan Schneiderlin and Fabian Delph. Not only have Everton overpaid at times; they have unsurprisingly found the policy unsuited to their stated ambition of breaking into the same top six. Ancelotti is believed to have demanded sizeable funds be made available for some properly ambitious signings. Based on the wages they are paying their new manager, Everton supporters can expect to be amazed.

Determine chain of command
Ancelotti is understood to want total control of spending and signings, which immediately puts him at odds with Marcel Brands, Everton’s director of football. There is simply no point having a DoF if the manager insists on doing everything himself and from the early indications it appears that is going to be the case with Ancelotti, who seems to have told Everton in no uncertain terms that he would be unwilling to work with any Tom, Dick or Harry foisted on him by the club’s scouting and signing network. Considering Everton’s extremely average recruitment record over the past few seasons that is understandable, yet this is a club that at least tried to put the basic building blocks in place. Everton were congratulated on their farsightedness when appointing Steve Walsh as DoF in 2016, fresh from Leicester’s title triumph and a statement of intent at the start of the Moshiri regime. In the event Walsh lasted little longer than Koeman and now Brands appears to be in danger of being marginalised.

How will Marcel Brands, the director of football, be affected by Carlo Ancelotti’s arrival?

Win silverware

When Ancelotti makes the short journey to Anfield for the FA Cup third-round tie against Liverpool next month, he is bound to hear the home supporters tunefully alluding to the fact that Everton have not won a trophy since 1995. That was only the FA Cup, although in fairness the nation’s favourite knockout was still quite a big deal then. Ferguson came on as a second-half substitute at Wembley, as did Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, not yet established as Manchester United players. If that suggests an entire generation has grown up without seeing Everton win anything, that is the unusual challenge facing a manager more used to dealing with elite performers at a much higher level. The Carabao Cup has just gone for another year and Everton could be out of the FA Cup in a couple of weeks, unless this veteran of clásicos and Milan derbies can make himself a hero with his first foray into the Merseyside version.

Displace Manchester United
Does that sound like a tall order? How else are Everton going to improve on their status as the fourth-best team in the north-west? They live in the shadow of the European champions, arguably the best team in the world at the moment. Down the road in Manchester Pep Guardiola’s City are financially uncatchable and ready to turn their own eye on Europe after winning everything in sight on the domestic front last season. Only United look vulnerable, and this may be only temporary, but if Everton are going to crack the top six, let alone the top four, they are going to have to displace one of the regular incumbents. The only slight glimmer of hope, now José Mourinho has replaced Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs, is that Arsenal, Chelsea and United are all under new and relatively young management. Ancelotti definitely has the edge in experience but, starting from as far back as Everton, is that going to be enough?

Hmm....

Guest Pistonbroke
13 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Probably the hardest task of all judging by those forum posts and their yearning for the fabled powershift.

He'll leave them with a Power Drill. Which he'll get as a leaving present after 1 season.