You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

I actually had a Coventry fan (a friend of a friend) saying that 'we' stopped Coventry getting into Europe because they won the FA Cup in '87 while the ban was still active. I pretty much said what chettevehs posted above and asked how come plenty of other English teams had managed to get into European competitions since, but Coventry hadn't. 'Maybe if you'd actually gone and won something else rather than a one-off fluke' didn't go down all that well.

You won’t convince them.....ever, that it’s their owners and playing staff’s fault they’ve done next to the square root of fuck all in 30+ years.

They’ve convinced themselves they would have won the European Cup in 1985/86 to become attractive to every top player in the game and gone on to World Domination and we prevented that.

It’s easier by far to a) blame someone else when the facts are others have actually achieved more with less in the same period and b) use an unquantifiable scenario that can never be disproven than to face up to reality.

As I’ve said before, had Heysel not happened to us, it is very likely it would have happened to some other, probably English, club at some time and it just might have been them.

30 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I actually had a Coventry fan (a friend of a friend) saying that 'we' stopped Coventry getting into Europe because they won the FA Cup in '87 while the ban was still active. I pretty much said what chettevehs posted above and asked how come plenty of other English teams had managed to get into European competitions since, but Coventry hadn't. 'Maybe if you'd actually gone and won something else rather than a one-off fluke' didn't go down all that well.

Well Heysel was 85 so they managed to win a trophy two years after no problem.

• Upvote 1

I hate the way other fans make out that Heysel was a one off incident that led to the ban. Virtually every other team and the England national team had been causing murder everywhere in Europe for a decade. Loads of shite cockney clubs used to fight amongst themselves every week. The mancs had to play domestic and European games away from OT because their fans were that bad. 

Every cunt used to fight non stop and attack away fans as well as away fans using a game of footy to go on the rampage in a different town. Trains, buses and town centres were getting wrecked every week. 

All our fans got stabbed and battered the year before by Roma fans yet nothing happened to them. Our fans didn't react or deliberately start fights there.

The year after Liverpool get everyone banned and it's all solely down to the behaviour of some of our fans. Yes. Liverpool should fully accept that charging at the Juventus fans was bad but we aren't "murderers". Some of our fans rightly went to prison too. 

If all English clubs were such Angels why didn't Liverpool just get banned?. I don't think any of us would have gone on about it if it had just been us. 

Evertonians seem to have become experts on the subject of Heysel and bring it up at almost every opportunity. When you say there were more factors in play than just a load of Liverpool fans reacting to bricks being thrown at them they accuse you of denying any responsibility and say "it's never you're fault". 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, chevettehs said:

Also the Super Cup has been won by us 3 times, the Mancs and Chelsea once, as well as both of them being runners up 3 times.

Four times now.

Even Fulham, with a manager as shit as Hodgson in charge, got to a Europa League Final in 2010.

6 hours ago, Trumo said:

Nil Stantz Nisi Venkman. When der redshite are the topic, it's like crossing the beams.

If there's something shit about your football club 

Who you gonna blame

der redshite.

When you've got no cups but a cuckoo clock

Who you gonna blame

der redshite.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

Headline "Liverpool fans worried"

Story "one person claiming to be a Liverpool fan called us"

Real story "Office roof gets a lick of paint"

• Upvote 3

Their European record really is dogshit.  Apart from that win in 1985 they've only once reached even a Quarter Final of anything. That puts their European history on a par with teams like Mechelen, Aberdeen, Magdeburg and Slovan Bratislava. 

Such a nothing club.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everton_F.C._in_European_football

Since 1985, Everton have won the league once, the FA Cup once, and countless transfer window trophies.

The likes of Oxford, Coventry, Wimbledon, Luton, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Leicester, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Swansea and Wigan have all won a domestic trophy (more than one in a few cases) since then. If you include other trophy-winning teams like Forest, Chelsea and Man City in that list, one thing all those clubs have in common is that they've all been outside the top flight at some point since 1985. Everton, as we know, have been a top-flight club in all that time. They've ridden the Premier League gravy train for its entirety. There is nowhere near enough questioning about that club's lack of tangible success, because they are all too ready to put the blame on der redshite if the subject ever crops up. They deride the League Cup as a Mickey Mouse competition even though they've never won it. They criticise the weakness of clubs involved in the Champions League despite never having actually played in it, and never won the trophy in the competition's previous incarnation.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Trumo said:

They've ridden the Premier League gravy train for its entirety. There is nowhere near enough questioning about that club's lack of tangible success, because they are all too ready to put the blame on der redshite if the subject ever crops up. 

That's the top and bottom of it.

Some crap in the paper about the signing of Keane, he may turn out to be a great profit for them. Apparently it's all down to Marcel Brands, this amazing man is so meticulous that if Keane has a nephew, Brands will know about it. He's surely missing an opportunity at Interpol there.

You can know almost everything about a players life, you can give them luxuries and loads of cash. But when it all comes down to it they can't shake the stench that is their club and not winning anything nor the terrible atmosphere that their players often have to endure because they aren't reaching the lofty standards set by their deluded fans.

They're Southampton, buy half decent players and then try to sell them on at a profit. If they'd have kept Rooney they might have won a trophy, same with Lukaku. Decent players don't hang around there too long though. They're a shop window for the mancs private viewing, they are just a feeder club for city, Utd and Chelsea. 

Everton football club sells hate, because it can't sell success. 

Oh and my daughter told me yesterday that her new fella is a blue (she dodged my question on if he's a bitter blue) and also drives a BMW. Strangely the latter bothers me more, but we can never discuss football I know that. 

• Upvote 1