You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

15 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I'm tempted to make a whole thread out of a pet theory I've developed that is the reason I disagree with this.

The short version is that I think the financial advantage from the TV deals the Premier League gets is slowly moving it into becoming a de facto Super League. In a globalised world, it makes sense that we will eventually see a more American-style single league that has most of the fan interest and money behind it, and looking across Europe it seems clear that if there's to be a winner it will be the English league (barring something idiotic like a Brexit-driven installation of English player quotas).

In other words, there will either be a breakaway Super League or the Premier League will become a Super League by virtue of their huge financial advantage. Already you see things like Leicester and Everton having higher revenues than AC Milan or Atletico Madrid and you think "hmm." But as the pace of the financial discrepancy increases, then mid-table English teams will outbid major German/Italian/Spanish powers for players. And lest you argue "yeah, but the best players will always prefer to win major honours for Dortmund or Juventus rather than move to West Ham" I point you to history of big-money clubs across Europe. An oligarch buys Chelsea and we say "yeah, but the majority would rather earn 75% of what they pay at a real club rather than move there." And then we watch as 5 years pass and the plastic club is now a fixture and winning trophies and nothing could feel more normal.

This is why I think the pressure has come up all of a sudden for the breakaway league. The European powers have realised that if they DON'T break away, they're in real danger of being left behind. I could easily see a future 25 years from now if we don't see a Super League where England rules the roost to such an extent that mid- and low-table PL teams are serious competitors with even the likes of PSG or Bayern for players.

I see what you're saying, except I'm talking about a sugar daddy who wants to get his team in the CL year in and out and wants to win trophies. I get Everton can offer more money than anyone in Italy except maybe juve. As for the super league v the defacto super league, I think relatively speaking the last deal signed was a drop wasn't it? It's still bundles, but they've had to give away loads of games and make new slots to make it. The Premier league is already the wealthiest league, but I don't think it's pulling away in quite the way you describe, I think that was the case a while back. 

On 11/27/2018 at 9:57 PM, Paulie Dangerously said:

It's gotten to the point that they really have nothing to lose in derbies. So many beatings and years without a win at Anfield that defeat is the default and we expect to win. 

You don't need to lose to be losers, but they are losers. Hang on...

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I agree.

It would be great if they all spent the next couple of days telling the world they're going to stuff us.

Just hope we don't throw in one of those "3rd game in 7 days" type performances we sometimes throw in during these runs of lots of games.

https://foundation.liverpoolfc.com/news/foundation-news/327394-the-anfield-rap-is-reborn

You can just imagine the Evertonian parents at St Margaret’s.

” Just found out about this and removed our Kendall and Bramley immediately, me and our Dixie are going to torch the school tonight “

Apparently we’re all apoplectic with rage at the Blue Liver Bird. The fucking weirdos. Why do our heads fall off so easily? They’ve been falling off for 2 years now. Moshiri, Usmanov, Liver Birds, the transfer window last year, Pickford at the WC, Richarlison, the Stadium, etc etc etc. They are certainly a strange bunch.  It must be really shit ‘supporting’ a team whereby success is all to do with our failure. I really fucking hate them. The small time fucking cunts. 

Dolphin Lundgren was doing the Premier League predictions on the BBC website and said he used to support Everton. He also predicted Everton would win 3 nil

Overheard an Evertonian saying that because him and Sylvester Stallone support them that they have higher profile celebrity fans. I asked him when the DVD was coming out to celebrate it.

• Upvote 1

I don't get the whole "The city is ours" thing, its fucking football you either support a team or not and beyond that it doesnt mean shit. You live your life, you work or not, you get by and hopefully life's okay if not more. I love LFC but ultimately when it really comes down too it, I'll survive whether it exist or not, whether the club I support is successful or isn't.

Honestly I'm tired of good people being or becoming so entrenched in it they become people i don't like to be around just because of football. 

• Upvote 1