You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

My Facebook has gone into bitter meltdown the last few days. One horrible bitter obsessed twat day all the reds who want Everton to get 4th are patronising twats who would hate it if the roles were reversed. Also says Liverpools player of the season is the penalty spot.

Others are going to need PTSD counselling if they beat City or even draw with em and help us out.

Bitter horrible obsessed bastards who haven't won anything for years.

• Upvote 2

The players will want to win but the fans won't. Sums the stupid bitter obsessed bastards up. If they got in the CL they would be able to hold onto their best player, be able to have more money to buy players and have more TV exposure to market themselves around the world.

Fuck all that shite, the redshite losing the league is more important than any of that.

My Facebook has gone into bitter meltdown the last few days. One horrible bitter obsessed twat day all the reds who want Everton to get 4th are patronising twats who would hate it if the roles were reversed. Also says Liverpools player of the season is the penalty spot.

Others are going to need PTSD counselling if they beat City or even draw with em and help us out.

Bitter horrible obsessed bastards who haven't won anything for years.

Repped - for the tits in the avatar and your absolute contempt for the cavemen.

A Bitter mate of mine. Forever harping on about the number of penalties we've won. Frothing at the mouth when we got 2 in the West Ham game. Hardly mentioned the 3-0 hammering they gave Arsenal. Dick head

They'll latch on to anything. If we win it, by the end of the season they'll have a list of reasons why Liverpool were jammy to win the league. Predictably sad and bitter.

Lad in work said that he'd rather miss out on 4th than have us win the League, because he couldn't stand listening to us all Summer.

I pointed out that, surely, he doesn't care what the Redshite say....

He clammed up.

I've just used this one in work.  The clamming up was a joy to behold.  I would ask that everybody else uses the same tactic.

The bitter in work (the one who reads the s*n because it has a good sports section, mentioned this before) just said that if Mirallas has an open goal against City he'd run on the pitch and stop him scoring.  He will also take 5th to stop us winning the league because we'd become unbearable.

By the way, as he's a scouser who reads the s*n I give him no fucking time of my day, just can't bear the knobhead who shouts all over the canteen about how much he hates Liverpool.  He's an embarrassment to his family reading that rag.

• Upvote 1

They'll latch on to anything. If we win it, by the end of the season they'll have a list of reasons why Liverpool were jammy to win the league. Predictably sad and bitter.

I didn't think there could be anything better than Liverpool winning the title, but the thought of this list shows the happiness can go up to 11.

These are the fans that made up a song for Dan Gosling because he scored against us in an FA Cup replay once. Yet players and managers who are there over a decade get no such recognition.

"You're so small, all the songs you sing are about us" to the tune of Carly Simons "you're so vain".

• Upvote 1

Judging by that Distin interview, I wouldn't even be surprised if they rolled over for City.

Its a pity we don't have a game when they play Man City.

Would be hilarious if we started losing the game so they decide to roll over only for us to do an Istanbul and win it leaving them out of the CL placings! 

The players will want to win but the fans won't. Sums the stupid bitter obsessed bastards up. If they got in the CL they would be able to hold onto their best player, be able to have more money to buy players and have more TV exposure to market themselves around the world.

Fuck all that shite, the redshite losing the league is more important than any of that.

Id say qualifying for the CL is worth more to them than anyone else in the top 7, as we know its fucking hard qualifying for this CL and I imagine their the least likely of the top 7 to be in the position next season is CL qualification would be a big selling point for their recruitment and getting players to stay

Their best players are ageing/aged, on loan or like Barkley will soon be wanting to leave to better themselves if they're not playing in CL, their team could fall apart very quickly

I e-mailed my mate, an ST holder at Goodison, and asked him what his thoughts on this whole "i'd rather us be in the Europa League next season if it meant you not winning the league" nonsense were.

This was the response. Astoundingly sensible.

"Anyone who says that are either winding you up or not a real blue.

It's a ridiculous argument that i am getting sick of having to be honest. If you go on Everton forum's, the majority opinion is the same as mine. I have only seen one or two comments saying they'd rather we lost out on 4th and Liverpool lose the league. These people are usually keyboard warriors who would need an a-z to find Goodison.

No matter how much anyone says that to you, and no matter how convincing they are, i very much doubt it would be their real feeling. Personally, i am not interested in what happens to Liverpool as they are nothing to do with me. For the sake of "banter" it would be quite funny if you slipped up, but quite honestly i'm not really bothered.

My priority is Everton and if we hand you the league by beating City so be it. It's a Prem League fixture that we need to win and could possibly get ourselves a champions league spot by doing so. How can any true Evertonian not want that, regardless of what happens to any other club?"

• Upvote 2

Conversation with a blue at work.....

Me: "European Cup for your mob next year then?"

Him: "Not sure I want it"

Me: "Why's that? Surely you will do better than in 05"

Him: (beginning to get the nark) "It would probably mean us beating City and handing the league to you shithouses"

Me: Why would that bother you, surely what you do is all that matters?

Him: "You lot winning the league would be horrible and if it means us finishing 5th it is worth it"

Me: "You are winding me up"

Him: "No, no I am not - I mean it - couldn't stand listening to you lot go on and on about it for frigging ever"

Me: (Borrowed from a post earlier) "But as you sing you don't care what the Redshite say"....?

Him:  Turns abruptly to walk off and bumps into another feller - he's got the nark that much that he does not even apologise - just keeps walking quickly....

Other lad looks at me and says "Ignorant get, him"

Me: It's in his DNA!

• Upvote 1

The thing is, I think there is a subconscious part of your average Evertonian that is not being entirely unreasonable here because finishing 4th isn't all that. Sure, you get a shot at the glitz and glamour of the Champions League, but it's a terrifyingly fraught shot. Look at the Uefa coefficients. Athletic and Sevilla, the teams vying for fourth spot in Spain, are 37th and 29th respectively. Everton are 83rd, sandwiched between the might of Stoke and Hertha. The odds are very high that they are going to draw a stinker of a team, and they're going to have to make expenditure decisions based on imperfect knowledge. Do they assume they're going to qualify - where's the notional Champions League money, Bill?! - and what would be the plan if they didn't? Do they assume they won't, then get absolutely twatted in the group stage because they do qualify and haven't spent? It's an absolutely disgusting system that sees Arsenal in the top eight despite stinking the CL out for every year bar one of the last 15, while a demonstrably competitive Everton are down there with the Stokes of the world.

Not that they're not all deranged when it comes to Liverpool. There's that too.

I can understand the fans feeling that way, although it's the epitome of small time, but the STAFF. I can't get my head around the fact that there are people paid handsomely by Everton football club, that actively want to sabotage them finishing in the champions league. I'd sack whoever Distin was alluding to in that interview if i was Kenwright on the spot.

• Upvote 2

The thing is, I think there is a subconscious part of your average Evertonian that is not being entirely unreasonable here because finishing 4th isn't all that. Sure, you get a shot at the glitz and glamour of the Champions League, but it's a terrifyingly fraught shot. Look at the Uefa coefficients. Athletic and Sevilla, the teams vying for fourth spot in Spain, are 37th and 29th respectively. Everton are 83rd, sandwiched between the might of Stoke and Hertha. The odds are very high that they are going to draw a stinker of a team, and they're going to have to make expenditure decisions based on imperfect knowledge. Do they assume they're going to qualify - where's the notional Champions League money, Bill?! - and what would be the plan if they didn't? Do they assume they won't, then get absolutely twatted in the group stage because they do qualify and haven't spent? It's an absolutely disgusting system that sees Arsenal in the top eight despite stinking the CL out for every year bar one of the last 15, while a demonstrably competitive Everton are down there with the Stokes of the world.

Not that they're not all deranged when it comes to Liverpool. There's that too.

Yeah but you've got to start somewhere, it's no good saying 4th wouldn't be that good anyway because they won't qualify/get hammered, you could think like that forever

I can understand the fans feeling that way, although it's the epitome of small time, but the STAFF. I can't get my head around the fact that there are people paid handsomely by Everton football club, that actively want to sabotage them finishing in the champions league. I'd sack whoever Distin was alluding to in that interview if i was Kenwright on the spot.

It has to be a lost in translation moment, surely Distin didn't pick up the tongue and cheek aspect of the conversation? I defy any club to be that bitter, the odd knobhead among them will be daft enough to be that small time but the vast majority would rise above that. 

Why would they get twatted by everyone? If they're good enough to come 4th in the premier league then they should be good enough to beat equivalent teams from Germany, Italy and Spain. They're a quality side, this Everton one. I'm not saying they'd win the competition but they certainly wouldn't embarrass themselves.

• Upvote 1

Yeah but you've got to start somewhere, it's no good saying 4th wouldn't be that good anyway because they won't qualify/get hammered, you could think like that forever

You're quite right, that's the logical conclusion, as it is to any questions of Europa League participation. But it's reasonable to have concerns and I think they will shape the discussion.

Why would they get twatted by everyone? If they're good enough to come 4th in the premier league then they should be good enough to beat equivalent teams from Germany, Italy and Spain. They're a quality side, this Everton one. I'm not saying they'd win the competition but they certainly wouldn't embarrass themselves.

City got twatted by everyone in their first forays into the CL. Perhaps I shouldn't be suggesting that they will be out of their depth, but it's not hard to envisage a scenario where they arrive in the group stages with a less-than-optimal squad because they couldn't invest properly due to fears of not getting there.

As much as I hate to say it they have got a pretty good side now - Not as good as us obviously - but a good side who will do OK in Europe. Their real problem is that their squad is very shallow and a few injuries / failure to replace Lukaku when he goes will hamper them.

It's nice to be able to tell them that they have a good side now but not in our League!