You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

It shows their general mentality, that is probably genuine. Would you question it on what has been said before? I wouldn't. Can well believe it's real.

Remember the old saying " Saner people in Rainhill "

GOT has to be a group of people on internet hour at Stoddart House

• Upvote 1

You’d think this was a red in the windup on GOT, but its really not.

LEONARD said: ↑

If they lose in Kiev, it will be another trophy-less season, and at least 19 points behind the CHAMPIONS Citteh.

a lot depends on whether we can get at least a point vs West Ham. Should we get to 50 points, and they lose the game in Kiev, I think we can lay claim to having had the more successful season. Certainly we will have wrested the initiative from them as we look forward to next season. But as you imply, if they can win a pot, even a non-domestic one, argument can be made that their season has just shaded ours in terms of tangible return. But I am not entirely convinced that tangible outcome necessarily trumps the intangible. A case could be made that our trophy cabinet is better stocked than theirs if our work in the community and our providing a stable and nurturing 'family' environment for our players is taken in to acccount and were this awarded silverware. Yes, the more cynical on here might therein accuse a 'clutching at straws' dialectic but I guess that's just a shade of grey (i.e. open to debate). Kiev notwithstanding, Evertonians have been presented a season which, on the basis of the club's social consciousness, is one we can all take pride in...and pride of place on Merseyside

NSNO

It's a shame this year's Nobel Prize in Literature has been cancelled. Because Leonard would be a worthy winner for this work of unparalleled genius.

Paddock1982:

My personal favourite was from the late 70s even though I wasn't match going at the time, simply the "Everton are magic, Everton are magic na na na". Hear that ringing out at Wembley 77 or Villa park 80 semi final on any dvd or online vid. Has a great melody to it it when it was sung with passion.
I don't go in for all these long verse like songs, that IS kopite behaviour

Songs with over 3 different words = Kopite behaviour

Paddock1982:

My personal favourite was from the late 70s even though I wasn't match going at the time, simply the "Everton are magic, Everton are magic na na na". Hear that ringing out at Wembley 77 or Villa park 80 semi final on any dvd or online vid. Has a great melody to it it when it was sung with passion.

Must be thousands of Kopites singing that if you know your history song then.

Paddock1982:

1977 dull goalless draw, lose replay. 1980 lose semi final. Sang Everton are magic na na na.

Oh the memories they have 

• Upvote 4

They are definitely trying to outdo each other with Corinthian Spirit.

" Championships? Championships? I remember travelling to a league game we 3-1 at Burnley in the late 70's. We were awful, just awful but we hummed Z Cars in the rain for a full hour. Happy days, happy days "

• Upvote 1

No wonder they love the Corinthian spirit at Everton. Look at the Oxford dictionary description. Especially the winning trophies and tolerating talented players.

An approach to sporting encounter rooted in the amateur philosophy of football in late 19th-century England, when the Corinthian (Casuals) club was formed in 1881 as a riposte to the emergence and rise of (initially concealed) professionalism in the sport. (A lively non-academic account is provided in D. J. Taylor, On the Corinthian Spirit: The Decline of Amateurism in Sport, 2006.) Paradoxically, the club's founding rationale pointed to an aspiration to improve the performances of the English football team at national level, but the core motivation lay in the preservation of an amateur ethos outlined in its 1883 constitution declaration that Corinthian players ‘shall not compete for any challenge cup or any prize of any description’. This was loosened for entry into a charity shield tournament, but friendly matches were the purist norm. The club produced teams that could beat early professional champions, and provided many players for England XIs in the late 1800s.

The 1906 Annals of the Corinthian Football Club called its members ‘missionaries of the Empire’, linking British sportsmanship to international understanding as well as the bringing together of colonies and the ‘Mother Country’; prioritized charitable causes; and emphasized that a game should be a game, opposing competitive glory-seeking and trophy-hunting. Brilliant but selfish players, in the words of veteran Corinthian G. O. Smith (1872–1943), should not be tolerated. The Corinthian spirit of fair play was embodied in the famous principle that if a penalty was awarded against the team, the goalkeeper must vacate the goal to allow the opposition to score and take its just rewards for the Corinthian team's violations of the rules (and the spirit) of the game. The Corinthian spirit came, in British football and sport, to represent a byword and shorthand for the golden age of amateurism and its associated values.

• Upvote 2

"The Corinthian spirit came, in British football and sport, to represent a byword and shorthand for the golden age of amateurism and its associated values."

Hahaha.

Looks like they may be onto something.

The most posted on thread on the entire forum is all about us. 7,251 pages worth. Treble the number of posts on the new stadium discussion that comes in 2nd, which incidentally, has a pop at us every 3rd post.

Oh, and they know exactly what RAWK are doing by calling him Mr Ferguson instead of Sir Alex.

Paddock1982:

I preferred the Emlyn Hughes version myself.

• Upvote 1

I like how they're shit.

I am however, jelaous of their ability to twist abject failure into success. I wish I could do the same. All these trophyless years would have been a breeze if we could effectively just stick our fingers in our ears and shout "laa laaa laaa laaaa laaaa, were fucking brilliiiaaant"

Some fella has opened up a Champions League shop in Old Swan selling LFC flags, scarves and memorabilia for the final. The fume will be epic.

Went past a stall in Huyton village that sells both Liverpool and Everton flags. He was also selling Real Madrid flags just so the bitters don't feel left out in a few weeks.