You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

10 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

I swear that this gets tweeted as often as Everton stadium updates. 

The club has never recovered from the European ban?

I mean..

Where do you start?

How many times did they qualify pre 86?

And why have we recovered..when we were banned even longer?

10 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

The club has never recovered from the European ban?

I mean..

Where do you start?

How many times did they qualify pre 86?

And why have we recovered..when we were banned even longer?

It's just the same broken record with them. A ready made excuse for being shit. The fact that it was us who got them banned is just more reason to go on about it.

1 minute ago, Harry Squatter said:

It's just the same broken record with them. A ready made excuse for being shit. The fact that it was us who got them banned is just more reason to go on about it.

Tottenham were UEFA Cup holders and Arsenal had been in a European final recently then too. Since the 90s both Spurs and Arsenal have reached the CL final. Everton havent even participated past a QF round.

Hmmmm, pretty sure you’ll still get fourth or lower.

Trilly

Full-Time Respecter Of Arteta

Trusted
Arteta being as good as a Klopp is a story I’d love to see lmao. Couldn’t think of anything less likely
If you can’t see that Arteta has the potential to be better than him then I don’t know what to tell you. 

We spent 250M and are gonna get 4th, what do you think is gonna happen when we spend 500M?

13 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Arsenal fan after Diaz spooned the scissor kick. Heh heh heh. Clueless fuckers.

Iwobeast

Starting to think Luis Diaz is slightly overrated

He was going for another assist but Mane & Salah don’t have Origi’s anticipation / class…

20 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

There are so many holes in the argument it's untrue. 

If they have been in decline since 85 ,how did they win the league in 87?

Even if there was no ban,there is no guarantee they would have won it in 86 anyway,and even if they did, what would it have changed over 30 years later?Forest won it twice in that period and look at them now?

Fucking crack pots.

They still spent more money than most clubs after Heysel. I remember them buying Cottee for £2.2m and spending another £2m on a few other players in the same summer. 

Their manager left to go to Spain because it offered him financial security and Bilbao didn't even qualify for Europe the season he joined them. He was there for 2 seasons, got sacked then came straight back to England to manage Man City who weren't in Europe and finished 14th. He then left a season later to return to Everton, who also weren't in Europe and even after the ban was lifted they never qualified for Europe until 1996. 

Lineker didn't leave because of the ban, he left because the Everton board were offered 3 times what they paid Leicester for him the year before. He didn't even want to leave them and he joined them after the European ban. 

The majority of the 1985 team were still in the 1989 Cup final team.

Stevens and Steven left to go to Rangers in 1988 and 1989, long after the ban, Rangers offered larger wages and most Scottish teams didn't last long in the European Cup. They probably only played 4 games max a season in Eurooe as it was a straight knockout. 

They seem to believe that they would have automatically won the European Cup because they won the Cup Winners Cup, the weakest of the 3 competitions and they even played a University team in one round. They were a good team but it was a step up from the CWC.

• Upvote 4

On 06/05/2016 at 22:15, Walter Sobchak said:

Text my bluenose mate last night saying we beat Villarreal for them after Colina cheated them in 05.

I was deliberately condescending.

The fume was fucking delicious.

Paris-bound as Liverpool are, allow me to say, plus ça change...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So there.

Posted by Richinvisible.gifuser_silhouette.png on May 3, 2022, 4:28 pm, in reply to "Following on from Graeme's post below"

Nobody really made me an Evertonian, my dad’s side of the family are all scousers, a mix of blue and red but I wasn’t press ganged by anyone, I just picked as a kid and that was that

But I’ve never regretted it for a single second, there’s no question that it’s character building, I have plenty of red mates who are no different to me really, they just picked a team, but the difference is that they have to share their local team with a vast assortment of tourists, hangers on and absolute ####wits, i don’t envy them at all

2 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

So there.

Posted by Richinvisible.gifuser_silhouette.png on May 3, 2022, 4:28 pm, in reply to "Following on from Graeme's post below"

Nobody really made me an Evertonian, my dad’s side of the family are all scousers, a mix of blue and red but I wasn’t press ganged by anyone, I just picked as a kid and that was that

But I’ve never regretted it for a single second, there’s no question that it’s character building, I have plenty of red mates who are no different to me really, they just picked a team, but the difference is that they have to share their local team with a vast assortment of tourists, hangers on and absolute ####wits, i don’t envy them at all

Whereas Everton are the eptomime of a small time club, set in their ways, unwilling to change, blaming others for their failures & reliant on a small local fanbase...

4 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

So there.

Apart from the dig at the end - you're not planning to build that ground unless you anticipate having to cope with tourists - that is...pretty reasonable? 

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

Whereas Everton are the eptomime of a small time club, set in their ways, unwilling to change, blaming others for their failures & reliant on a small local fanbase...

Corinthians I tell ya, jumpers for goal posts and all that.