You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

The manager before last, their welcome video made a big deal of his achievements in winning the Champions League (a detail inexplicably omitted from their welcome for their last manager). 

What I'm getting from that is that Fatty's greatest managerial achievement is being able to dress himself.

Good for him.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I first heard it from Billy Connolly. (Manning probably did, too.)

Incorrect, Connolly "borrowed" it from Manning.

The Big Spin: Billy Connolly and the art of adaptation - Comedy Chronicles - British Comedy Guide

Most of the time, however, as a mature comic performer, he could reformulate a specific joke or story, reanimate it from within, and the 'Connollisation' would be complete. Take, for example, the very basic joke that, of all people, Bernard Manning had been telling since (at least) the late 1960s:

A Jewish fella is on his death bed, and he says to his wife, 'Are you there, Becky?' She says, 'I'm here, Hymie'. He says, 'When I came home from the war in 1918 wounded, Becky, you were by my side. I entered the concentration camp in 1933,' he says, 'Becky, you were by my side. I opened that little shop just after the war and I went bankrupt, didn't have two shillings to call my own,' he says, 'and you were by my side. I'm dying now, and you're still by my side. Becky,' he says, 'you're a jinx!'

In the early 1980s, Sir Billy 'revived' it, but also adapted it, to turn it into this routine:

What a shocking appointment. Are they run by a committee of Liverpool fans? Or is it just all a big reality TV experiment?

They're signing Van de Beek too, because the discarded and disillusioned Manchester United midfielders they've signed in the past worked out brilliantly. Why change a winning formula?