You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

2 hours ago, Manny said:

Genuine point here, but why the fuck do they aim the blame for the Heysel ban entirely at us*? Looking at it logically**, regardless of the event itself, it was Uefa who chose to extend the ban to other English clubs, not us. So this means either:

• Heysel was the straw that broke the camel's back with regards to English football fans in Europe, in which case there's a share of the 'ban blame' that should extend to other English clubs: hooliganism was something that Uefa saw as an English football problem.
  • Uefa were just arbitrarily extending the ban on their own volition, in which case they should be angry with Uefa for being so heavy-handed

I was about 3 weeks old when it happened so I'm genuinely curious. It's always struck me as a convenient stick to beat us with, when actually the majority of the ire should be directed elsewhere: placing the majority of the blame for the 'collective' element of a collective punishment on anyone but the authorities is a bit misguided?

*Yes, yes, I know.

**Yes, yes, I know.

They can’t blame anything, or anybody else, without acknowledging they have been their own worst enemies, and responsible for their own failure to become the big club they have convinced themselves they would have been had Heysel not happened. Conveniently ignoring that they would have actually had to go on and win the European Cup first, (which of course was a given in their minds) then maintain that kind of form against a Liverpool team that beat them to both League and Cup in the following season, after they had signed Lineker.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manny said:

Genuine point here, but why the fuck do they aim the blame for the Heysel ban entirely at us*? Looking at it logically**, regardless of the event itself, it was Uefa who chose to extend the ban to other English clubs, not us. So this means either:

• Heysel was the straw that broke the camel's back with regards to English football fans in Europe, in which case there's a share of the 'ban blame' that should extend to other English clubs: hooliganism was something that Uefa saw as an English football problem.
  • Uefa were just arbitrarily extending the ban on their own volition, in which case they should be angry with Uefa for being so heavy-handed

I was about 3 weeks old when it happened so I'm genuinely curious. It's always struck me as a convenient stick to beat us with, when actually the majority of the ire should be directed elsewhere: placing the majority of the blame for the 'collective' element of a collective punishment on anyone but the authorities is a bit misguided?

*Yes, yes, I know.

**Yes, yes, I know.

I always thought the blanket ban on English clubs was suggested by Thatcher's government and then ratified by UEFA, not the other way around.