You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

As funny as it is to blame Everton for the city's loss of UNESCO WHS status, the main problem I have with the idea of heritage preservation is that whole areas are allowed to become really decrepit when there are no economic, historical, archtectural or aesthetic reasons for keeping them that way. Bramley Moore Dock is not like the dock areas closer to the city centre, with significant landmarks in the vicinity. Its original reason for being is no longer pertinent, and the area is hardly teeming with visitors regaling in its faded splendour. It's not Machu Picchu or the Colisseum.

I'm not suggesting redevelopment on the scale of Dubai or Abu Dhabi for example, but to accept a bit of realism and the need to not let the area go to ruin.

• Upvote 3

mahermi1

mahermi1

Player Valuation: £60m
BBC news. UNESCO say that it's Evertons new building that's caused the problem.
Gtf.

No mention of the 15000 jobs we are creating and the investment we will be bringing to a run down slum area ? Na thought not, knew we should have thrown homeowners out of their homes.

navidson

Player Valuation: £70m
This a goalden opportunity for Everton to make some serious inroads into the US.
Play two games against the Colombian side, hold training sessions open to the public, mass autograph signing sessions, discounted merchandise offer to everyone attending the public training sessions... make hay while the sun is shining Everton !!!!
If we can't make the most of having 2 of their most prestigious and famous players on our books (Howard and Donovan) - especially after that whole 'Secretary of defence' thing - I doubt us getting beat by a team of Colombian mule washers will elevate us in any way

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:
mahermi1

mahermi1

Gtf.

No mention of the 15000 jobs we are creating and the investment we will be bringing to a run down slum area ? Na thought not, knew we should have thrown homeowners out of their homes.

Fucking hell. That's their next favourite subject after Heysel. They did the same thing they accuse us of to build 3 of their stands.

The Main Stand didn't make anyone homeless, all the remaining homeowners were given above market value and a few were greedy landlords who rented out shitholes. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Fucking hell. That's their next favourite subject after Heysel. They did the same thing they accuse us of to build 3 of their stands.

The Main Stand didn't make anyone homeless, all the remaining homeowners were given above market value and a few were greedy landlords who rented out shitholes. 

Yep. 

53 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:
mahermi1

mahermi1

Gtf.

•  

Well they did. That’s how Goodison avenue disappeared. But then I don’t expect an Everton fan to know their history when they’re too busy banging on about ours.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, angie said:

Well they did. That’s how Goodison avenue disappeared. But then I don’t expect an Everton fan to know their history when they’re too busy banging on about ours.

Oh they brush stuff under the carpet better than the tories 

2 hours ago, Trumo said:

As funny as it is to blame Everton for the city's loss of UNESCO WHS status, the main problem I have with the idea of heritage preservation is that whole areas are allowed to become really decrepit when there are no economic, historical, archtectural or aesthetic reasons for keeping them that way. Bramley Moore Dock is not like the dock areas closer to the city centre, with significant landmarks in the vicinity. Its original reason for being is no longer pertinent, and the area is hardly teeming with visitors regaling in its faded splendour. It's not Machu Picchu or the Colisseum.

I'm not suggesting redevelopment on the scale of Dubai or Abu Dhabi for example, but to accept a bit of realism and the need to not let the area go to ruin.

1. As I've said elsewhere, nobody should be blaming Everton for this. The blame lies solely at the door of the city council. 

2. There absolutely are historical, architectural and aesthetic reasons for preserving heritage. And that is precisely what UNESCO World Heritage Status is about. Why is anyone surprised by this decision? 

3. If you think it better to have some modern, edgy, dare I say useful development, that's fine, but if it impacts historical, architectural areas, the price is losing that special status. 

Some have asked on here whether people ("tourists") visit areas as a result of this World Heritage Status. I do. Mr rb14 does. On holiday we go out of our way to visit UNESCO sites.

UNESCO aren't the problem here. Really. 

PS. 15,000 jobs my arse. In the ludicrously unlikely event it's built, they'll be lucky if it's 150.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Scumbag daily mail running an article saying "Everton Player Fabian Delph wrongly accused online of being suspect" despite them getting it from Delph trending last night with people saying he's been left out as the other 31 year old and knowing full well its Sigurdsson. Zero fucking shame 

You have to admit, that's a quite brilliant process of elimination technique by the Hitler supporting bastards. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

navidson

Player Valuation: £70m
This a goalden opportunity for Everton to make some serious inroads into the US.
Play two games against the Colombian side, hold training sessions open to the public, mass autograph signing sessions, discounted merchandise offer to everyone attending the public training sessions... make hay while the sun is shining Everton !!!!
If we can't make the most of having 2 of their most prestigious and famous players on our books (Howard and Donovan) - especially after that whole 'Secretary of defence' thing - I doubt us getting beat by a team of Colombian mule washers will elevate us in any way

I like the “goalden” play on words. Very clever

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rb14 said:

1. As I've said elsewhere, nobody should be blaming Everton for this. The blame lies solely at the door of the city council. 

2. There absolutely are historical, architectural and aesthetic reasons for preserving heritage. And that is precisely what UNESCO World Heritage Status is about. Why is anyone surprised by this decision? 

3. If you think it better to have some modern, edgy, dare I say useful development, that's fine, but if it impacts historical, architectural areas, the price is losing that special status. 

Some have asked on here whether people ("tourists") visit areas as a result of this World Heritage Status. I do. Mr rb14 does. On holiday we go out of our way to visit UNESCO sites.

UNESCO aren't the problem here. Really. 

PS. 15,000 jobs my arse. In the ludicrously unlikely event it's built, they'll be lucky if it's 150.

It’s one thing going to Manchu Picchu to visit a UNESCO world heritage site, quite another to visit a crumbling dock.

2 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

You have to admit, that's a quite brilliant process of elimination technique by the Hitler supporting bastards. 

Reminds me me of the time they were writing an attack piece on some politician. They knew he was secretly gay - and, being massive homophobes, they saw this as a stick to beat him with - but they didn't fancy a libel case.  Instead, they described him as "a confirmed bachelor with a keen interest in musical theatre".

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Reminds me me of the time they were writing an attack piece on some politician. They knew he was secretly gay - and, being massive homophobes, they saw this as a stick to beat him with - but they didn't fancy a libel case.  Instead, they described him as "a confirmed bachelor with a keen interest in musical theatre".

At times you can only admire the level cuntishness. 

11 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Kenyan vampire. 

Teenage murderer. 

Paedo footballer. 

Loss of World Heritage status. 

Everton's contribution to wider society this week.

Pepper is going to have to write an epic on the scale of Wagner's Ring Cycle to cover that lot and the signings of Begovic & Townsend.

• Upvote 2