You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

14 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

All those small clubs that play in blue just blend into one, eventually. It's an easy mistake to make.

So it's not an excess of alcohol then?  Thank fuck for that. I'm off for a pint!

56 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Johnny Morrissey ? Going back a bit I know.

Yeah, early 60's, Joe. I only recall Bob being a bit upset at Sheedy going to the shite saying we'd been paying him First Division wages. Crossing the divide wasnt common but the majority of fans werent that bothered. Like most things with everton, the bile can be traced back to around 1985 and that's all one way!

32 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Apparently Abel Xavier went to Walter Smith asking for a better contract and got laughed at saying you won't get anything like that here. He then said "that's ok because I'm signing for Liverpool"

We paid him more to be shit for us than Everton were willing to pay him for being shit for them. Not a boast I’ll be one upping them with tbh.

6 hours ago, belarus said:

Barmby was great when he was here I thought. Always performed well, was really versatile and scored some important goals. A proper footballer. Or am I remembering it wrong?

Started well, got injured, never really pulled himself back into contention. Of that treble-winning side I’m not convinced he would be in anyone’s best XI as the midfield also had Gerrard, McAllister, Hamman and Murphy, whilst Berger and Smicer were in reserve. 

A goal in the derby for Barmby, while welcome, as it was from Carroll, doesn't realistically raise his true level. Both were bang average players. We don't apply Blueshite criteria in order to establish a player's true worth and status to our club like they do - Duncan Ferguson, I'm looking at you!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, early 60's, Joe. I only recall Bob being a bit upset at Sheedy going to the shite saying we'd been paying him First Division wages. Crossing the divide wasnt common but the majority of fans werent that bothered. Like most things with everton, the bile can be traced back to around 1985 and that's all one way!

It was either keep Ronnie or Kevin as I remember it and for me/us it worked out rather well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

"No, that's German for 'The The Nicky Nicky The'"

they must have picked that up when they played bayern munich in 1985. it was one of the best nights ever and was a stepping stone to conquering all of europe and 10 consecutive europeans cups till the RS ruined it at heysel. 

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

they must have picked that up when they played bayern munich in 1985. it was one of the best nights ever and was a stepping stone to conquering all of europe and 10 consecutive europeans cups till the RS ruined it at heysel. 

That Bayern result really is the one and only time they've beaten a good team in Europe.  

The absolute state of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everton_F.C._in_European_football

They were dogshit before 1984/5 and dogshit from 1990 onwards; but, obviously, they were world-beaters for the late Eighties.  Their boasts about what they would have won during the ban sound like your weedy drunken mate after you've stopped him squaring up to the bouncers. "You shouldn't have held me back.  I would have battered the lot of them."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I read this article on The Guardian earlier, which sort of lays out where Everton are in the great scheme of things. You’ll never* guess what the first response from one of their fans is (* actually I’m pretty sure you will).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jul/03/rafa-benitezs-arrival-is-a-step-in-the-right-direction-for-stepping-stone-club-everton

Rafa Benítez’s arrival is a step in the right direction for stepping-stone club Everton 

Jonathan Wilson
With Everton stuck in the middle ground outside the elite, the Spaniard’s style is a better fit than Carlo Ancelotti’s ever was
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I read this article on The Guardian earlier, which sort of lays out where Everton are in the great scheme of things. You’ll never* guess what the first response from one of their fans is (* actually I’m pretty sure you will).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jul/03/rafa-benitezs-arrival-is-a-step-in-the-right-direction-for-stepping-stone-club-everton

Rafa Benítez’s arrival is a step in the right direction for stepping-stone club Everton 

Jonathan Wilson
With Everton stuck in the middle ground outside the elite, the Spaniard’s style is a better fit than Carlo Ancelotti’s ever was

As sure as night follows day. Had to scroll through a lot of the comments to see it though!

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

As sure as night follows day. Had to scroll through a lot of the comments to see it though!

To save anyone else the bother of scrolling through the comments.

You have to wonder what Everton could have achieved in Europe in the 5 years English teams were banned from playing European games. The article calls out Everton’s lack of European pedigree, yet the 5 year ban probably had a greater impact on Everton, than any other English club.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

To save anyone else the bother of scrolling through the comments.

You have to wonder what Everton could have achieved in Europe in the 5 years English teams were banned from playing European games. The article calls out Everton’s lack of European pedigree, yet the 5 year ban probably had a greater impact on Everton, than any other English club.

Ha! I thought it was this one. At least someone pointed out the flaw in the argument!

Screenshot from 2021-07-05 20:14:56.png

• Upvote 7

They will still be going on about Heysel in 50 years. They should make a reboot of that film Sliding Doors but do an Everton version of it where Heysel doesn't happen and they win 10 European Cups. 

Or a remake of Timecop where Jean Claude Van Damme constantly pursues bitter time travelling Evertonians who keep travelling back to 1892 to threaten John Houlding or threaten UEFA to move the European Cup final from Heysel. Only problem is that they would have nothing to moan about for 36 years.

• Like 1