You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

51 minutes ago, Ron B said:

The rumour at the time was that we were signing Pallister and it was a huge shock to the press corps when Rush was unveiled. Whilst Rushie was great, there’s no denying that Aldo scored more goals as long as they were both at the club. 
Supposedly Gascoigne had wanted to come to Liverpool that summer, but we’d asked him to wait a year. Hard to see that we could have signed both Gazza and Pallister instead of Rushie (although I’d imagine each of them would have been on a lower wage). 

The club found the money and we went back in for Gazza only to find out he’d just signed the contract with Spurs. Story was he smashed up his hotel room as Spurs wouldn’t let him back out of the contract which has now morphed into the legend that it was Fergie who wanted him and would have transformed him despite the mancs being 5 years away from any major success and Spurs being a more fashionable club than them at the time. 

We pinched Glenn Hysen from under the nose of the Mancs and they bought pallister instead. 

Nobody would have turned Gazza around, not Kenny and certainly not Fergie. I mean the man bombed couldn't control McGrath,Whiteside or Lee fucking Sharpe yet we are supposed to believe that he would have taken Gazza under his wing and turned him into one of his 92 robots

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Nobody would have turned Gazza around, not Kenny and certainly not Fergie. I mean the man bombed couldn't control McGrath,Whiteside or Lee fucking Sharpe yet we are supposed to believe that he would have taken Gazza under his wing and turned him into one of his 92 robots

Him keeping out of London would have helped 

8 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

For those of us not familiar with the story, can somebody explain what that's about, please?

The Hillsborough semi final was replayed at Old Trafford not long after the disaster. Liverpool won the replay 3-1. Brian Laws scored an own goal for Liverpool's third as Aldridge was next to him before he put it into hs own net.

He was on his knees pissed off but Aldridge ruffled his hair and laughed at him taking the piss out of him. 

Poor taste seeing as what had gone on as the Forest players had been supportive of Liverpool through the disaster (unlike their manager). 

Forest fans still hate him to this day for doing it and I always see posts slagging him off on various social media footy pages. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

The Hillsborough semi final was replayed at Old Trafford not long after the disaster. Liverpool won the replay 3-1. Brian Laws scored an own goal for Liverpool's third as Aldridge was next to him before he put it into hs own net.

He was on his knees pissed off but Aldridge ruffled his hair and laughed at him taking the piss out of him. 

Poor taste seeing as what had gone on as the Forest players had been supportive of Liverpool through the disaster (unlike their manager). 

Forest fans still hate him to this day for doing it and I always see posts slagging him off on various social media footy pages. 

I hadn't really understood that it was a piss take,I thought it was a sort of 'Hard lines mate' type of thing. I've never given it a second thought since to be honest.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

I hadn't really understood that it was a piss take,I thought it was a sort of 'Hard lines mate' type of thing. I've never given it a second thought since to be honest.

Would have been but if you see Aldridge he is laughing his head off and almost looks for a reaction off the crowd. If he had meant hard lines he would have offered to help him up and said something encouraging.

Thanks to all for the details, I wasn't aware of that. Sounds totally cringey, in poor taste and lacking in awareness of the moment.

From the many stories on these last couple of pages, the perspective I now have of Aldo is quite different from before. The embittered ex-Liverpool players' legion has another member.

15 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

Thanks to all for the details, I wasn't aware of that. Sounds totally cringey, in poor taste and lacking in awareness of the moment.

From the many stories on these last couple of pages, the perspective I now have of Aldo is quite different from before. The embittered ex-Liverpool players' legion has another member.

I don't think it's that bad, he obviously still likes the club judging by his commentaries on radio and LFC.tv. He's just a bit of a nasty prick (see the World cup '94 sub video) and he's got a stick up his arse about Benitez.

39 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Would have been but if you see Aldridge he is laughing his head off and almost looks for a reaction off the crowd. If he had meant hard lines he would have offered to help him up and said something encouraging.

I was there but just didn't notice it much at all.

12 minutes ago, belarus said:

What was that mate? That from when he played for us?

Hillsborough semi played at the toilet.

Brian Laws scored an OG and Aldridge ran up to him straight after he did and ruffled his hair.

Found it a bit classless myself.

Just before 8 mins 30 secs here:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Brian Laws scored an OG and Aldridge ran up to him straight after he did and ruffled his hair.

Oh yeah. Do vaguely remember seeing that on clips before. Not something that stuck in my mind, but it is a bit bad taste.

He’s a weird one Aldridge. Can remember watching that 9-0 video they brought out with my cousin, and him chucking his gear into the kop, but he was before my time really, although that was around the time I started getting taken to the game. The season after he left I reckon. In fact, I’ve just checked - it was October 89 my first game and he left in the September. He was just never on my radar as a kid - it was Barnes, Beardsley, Rush, Hansen and Grobbelaar. Weird how he didn’t stay more than a couple of years at us or sociedad considering his record. Or even that he didn’t get big moves apart from to us.

Didnt know that about Adams doing it back to him after the loss at Anfield either. Aldridge probably deserved it, but to do that to a Scouser in those circumstances, months after Hillsborough is bad form as well to be fair.

Thats the first game I can remember feeling down about the result. Even my blue dad was gutted after all that had gone on. 

1 minute ago, belarus said:

Oh yeah. Do vaguely remember seeing that on clips before. Not something that stuck in my mind, but it is a bit bad taste.

He’s a weird one Aldridge. Can remember watching that 9-0 video they brought out with my cousin, and him chucking his gear into the kop, but he was before my time really, although that was around the time I started getting taken to the game. The season after he left I reckon. In fact, I’ve just checked - it was October 89 my first game and he left in the September. He was just never on my radar as a kid - it was Barnes, Beardsley, Rush, Hansen and Grobbelaar. Weird how he didn’t stay more than a couple of years at us or sociedad considering his record. Or even that he didn’t get big moves apart from to us.

Didnt know that about Adams doing it back to him after the loss at Anfield either. Aldridge probably deserved it, but to do that to a Scouser in those circumstances, months after Hillsborough is bad form as well to be fair.

Thats the first game I can remember feeling down about the result. Even my blue dad was gutted after all that had gone on. 

That Arsenal game was the lowest i think i had ever felt at the time.

I remember just being stunned, like it wasn't happening - one minute we were gonna win the league the next minute it had gone and with no time to pull it back.

I don't recall Adams acting the twat, honestly recall it as genuine 'hard lines/chin up pal' stuff....but as i say (like most of us no doubt) i was just stunned by what was happening, especially after everything.

We had become a bit blase about winning the title back then as fans and even the next year when we won it back after losing it in such gut wrenching fashion it still felt like we were blase about it....i remember the chants of 'one season champions' and 'stolen property, stolen property' aimed at Arsenal that season - of course if you'd have told any of us we would have to then wait 30 years to win it again we would have laughed at you!

As for Aldridge i thought he was underrated as a striker, but he was marginalised with Rush returning and was 31 when left.....his record for us was very good - Rush was 3 years younger though and it is easy to see why we favoured him at time although of course he never got back to the levels he was at before he left and he never got to levels Aldridge had been at in the couple of years previous (albeit playing in inferior sides)

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, an tha said:

Just watching that game for the first time in decades evokes some very mixed emotions. To be fair to Aldo he really looked pumped up for that game after what had gone on and he attended a good few funerals after Hillsborough(at least one saw him at personally.) While it may have been classless in retrospect it is very difficult to go back to that time and imagine the emotions around it. I am not sure I really blame Aldridge too much myself given the situation at the time. It doesn't look great now of course but hindsight is a fantastic thing over 30 years later.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just watching that game for the first time in decades evokes some very mixed emotions. To be fair to Aldo he really looked pumped up for that game after what had gone on and he attended a good few funerals after Hillsborough(at least one saw him at personally.) While it may have been classless in retrospect it is very difficult to go back to that time and imagine the emotions around it. I am not sure I really blame Aldridge too much myself given the situation at the time. It doesn't look great now of course but hindsight is a fantastic thing over 30 years later.

Yeah i can see that side of it definitely.

I think it has been made a bit too much of down the years even though i'd rather not see it personally.

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I always put his reaction done to what had taken place previously. As you say he was really pumped and that goal confirmed our win.