You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

toffeeblue9

toffeeblue9

Player Valuation: £20m
Sad state of events pal, but don't jump down my throat, haha, because I don't want him either. What would you do if he ended our ridiculously long wait for a new trophy ? And I know it's highly unlikely, but what if...

It's a fair question, and some of my mates have asked me the same thing.

Thing is, for me, supporting Everton is about more than just winning games and I accept everyone has a different take on this.

I support Everton because my dad did, his dad did, I *think* his dad did and my sons do too.

Winning a trophy under him just wouldn't feel the same. You can't go from proper loathing to adulation.

I'm not going to go Goodison and boo the fella from the start because the team don't deserve that, but he's certainly not getting my support. That being the case, I won't feel as invested in it if he managed to win something.

I hate him mate. Proper absolutely detest him. I get that I'm probably at the far end of the spectrum on this one and under normal circumstances I'd be reading an opinion like my one on here which is so polarized and think "that lad's a bit weird", but this is my line.

What would you do if your sister or your mother married the person you hate most in the world? I can only vaguely liken it to how I might feel if that ever happened.

If we win a trophy, great, I'd rather we won it than not, but to me it would feel hollow. This fella crossed lines nobody else has in my lifetime and there's just no coming back from it.

We could go on at some point under Moshiri to have the most successful period in our history at some point but if he appoints Benitez, I won't ever forget just how dramatically far removed he proved himself to be from the the fanbase on this issue.

22 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If we win a trophy, great, I'd rather we won it than not, but to me it would feel hollow. This fella crossed lines nobody else has in my lifetime and there's just no coming back from it.

'What did he do, murder a family member? Viciously beat up an old lady? Molest your kids?'

No mate, worse, he called us a small club.

• Upvote 9

Rafael Benitez has stood by his description of Everton as a "small club", delivered four years ago, insisting that his words related only to David Moyes' side's unambitious display against Liverpool in one fixture.

"I didn't want to be disrespectful to the club. I was talking about the way they were playing, not the club," said the 51-year-old, who in a Merseyside derby day interview with The Independent today expresses his desire to return to the top reaches of management, preferably in the Premier League.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news/benitez-i-was-right-call-everton-small-club-2363821.html

I think he will regret going there, they are a small club with small minded fans. 

God they are completely utterly mad....

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £70m

I have to be honest, from the converstions I have had with reds they fall into 2 categories on this;
1) Heartbroken/angry- wanting to kill Benitez for being a Judas
2) Convinced he is an actual agent sent in to send us down.

The latter not in a sort of jokey/banter way either, like we might joke about how FSG love United/the Glaziers for having their statement on the board but deep down you know it's b/s but it's funny ammo. They genuinely believe Benitez is just here to wind us up for laughs for them.

The 2nd category are going to get a pretty big shock, when they realise their precious "Rafa" actually really wants the job and is not going to call us a small club in the 1st press conference etc etc.

This is not a particularly nuanced fanbase who can sort of look at it and go "well he did great for us, but he's with an opponent now so I am going to dislike him for that but admire what he did for us". They're not Evertonian's who can view things rationally and with a bit of perspective.

I highly doubt they will be singing his name in the derby, and I would imagine the relationship will be long soured by then.

This appointment is mutually assured destruction all around.

• Upvote 1

Catcher has to be on some sort of medication he’s absolutely mental. 

im happy for Rafa to get the Everton job, it’s close to home for him, he’ll get a good wedge and if he does well then the credit is to him considering they’ve tried every other type of manager.

It won’t sour my memories of his time here particularly the first half he was great. I still think he’s a top manager (albeit past his best). Hopefully he does ok there but not too well.

46 minutes ago, Truered said:

catcherintherye

I have to be honest, from the converstions I have had with reds they fall into 2 categories on this;

The latter not in a sort of jokey/banter way either, like we might joke about how FSG love United/the Glaziers for having their statement on the board but deep down you know it's b/s but it's funny ammo. They genuinely believe Benitez is just here to wind us up for laughs for them.

The 2nd category are going to get a pretty big shock, when they realise their precious "Rafa" actually really wants the job and is not going to call us a small club in the 1st press conference etc etc.

This is not a particularly nuanced fanbase who can sort of look at it and go "well he did great for us, but he's with an opponent now so I am going to dislike him for that but admire what he did for us". They're not Evertonian's who can view things rationally and with a bit of perspective.

I highly doubt they will be singing his name in the derby, and I would imagine the relationship will be long soured by then.

We finally found it. The least self-aware words ever used in the English language.

These conversations, of course, primarily taking place in his head, I expect what he says is true.

Have no issue with Rafa going there, as with Ancelotti, I'd still respect him. I don't think it's particularly relevant to us.

• Upvote 1

Always thought Ancelotti missed a trick for himself by not insisting on Everton slapping the money on the table for Isco and securing him for £30m and £8m per year a week before he went to Madrid to clear some wages off the books and get a bit of transfer budget for himself.

But it's almost like managers have stuff like self-respect and don't sabotage their own careers.

25 minutes ago, Manny said:

Always thought Ancelotti missed a trick for himself by not insisting on Everton slapping the money on the table for Isco and securing him for £30m and £8m per year a week before he went to Madrid to clear some wages off the books and get a bit of transfer budget for himself.

But it's almost like managers have stuff like self-respect and don't sabotage their own careers.

Fat Sham says hello. 

1 hour ago, Truered said:

catcherintherye

This was the funniest bit for me !!

• Upvote 2