You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Latest hysteria from FC Moral Sanctity sees them ploughing a pious boot into a property development company which seemingly buys the former grounds of already defunct clubs, for whom Rush and Fowler have done paid promo’s for.

Cue our wholesome brethren claiming yet more heartless kopite behaviour, crying their hearts out in the name of community traditions.

Nothing to do with Rush being joyously hailed for scoring all kinds against them across a 30-year legacy.

https://members.boardhost.com/everton-forum/thread/1624135793.html

EVIDENCE! 

54 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Why do I think this is likely to be true. Because it’s the Ev desperate to be a big club.

Thats makes sense for Real

Bring him back for free sell Isco/Assensio to free wages and fee and sell Rodriguez a year later

My advice to my Everton pals - don't touch Rafa Benitez with a barge pole - John Aldridge

EVERTON are flirting with the idea of appointing ­Rafael Benitez as their new manager, and my advice to them could not be ­ clearer – don’t do it.

The prospect of a former Liverpool manager taking over at Goodison Park will send a shiver down the spine of many Evertonians, and some of my blue nose friends are not happy about it.

I saw former Everton keeper Neville Southall saying their fans will never accept Benitez as manager and I think he’s spot on.

Rafa will always be a Red and even though he has made Liverpool his home and I’m sure he would love the Everton job, he is not the right fit for them.

He would stabilise Everton, get them into the top half of the table next ­season and might even get them near a Cup final, but the style of football he promotes and the way he does things is not to everyone’s liking.

When Benitez is running a club, it’s his way or the highway and that’s not ideal if you are not one of his men.

Look at the way he treated Robbie Keane after he made his dream move to Liverpool in 2008.

Of course, there are two sides to the Benitez debate and there will always be plenty of Liverpool fans who will always hold Benitez in high esteem, as he was the manager who brought the fifth European Cup to the club on that famous night in Istanbul back in 2005.

It is an achievement that can never be taken from him, but there are some myths about that night that need to be popped.

First of all, he picked the wrong team to start that final in Istanbul, as Harry Kewell should not have started and the ­balance of the team was all wrong as AC Milan went 3-0 ahead.

Secondly, Benitez was about to take Djimi Traore off at half-time before Steve Finnan told him he was injured, and so he had to change his plans, which was a lucky break that went his way.

And thirdly, Steven Gerrard’s iconic performance dragged Liverpool to victory that night and gave Benitez the Champions League win that will always be on his record.

Rafa’s tactics were important in getting Liverpool through to that 2005 Champions League final and he was also inventive, as his side reached the 2007 final of that competition as well.

Yet the way it ended for him at Liverpool should not be forgotten.

He gave the green light for the club to sign way too many players who were not good enough to play for Liverpool reserves and you have to ask why those players ended up at the club?

Management is a lucrative game these days as the guys at the top get paid huge amounts and even if they fail, they get multi-millions euro pay-offs.

Benitez is proof of that and you should see the house he lives on a clifftop with panoramic views of the River Dee on the Wirral.

It’s one of the biggest houses on Merseyside, but is he really the right man for Everton now?

https://www.sundayworld.com/sport/soccer/my-advice-to-my-everton-pals-dont-touch-rafa-benitez-with-a-barge-pole-40558032.html

And so he goes on, I'm getting the impression he isn't Rafa's best friend. But yeah, one of the biggest houses on the Wirral definitely means the bitters shouldn't even consider Rafa. 

Sorry John, loved you as a player but christ you're bitter. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Impostor said:

My advice to my Everton pals - don't touch Rafa Benitez with a barge pole - John Aldridge

EVERTON are flirting with the idea of appointing ­Rafael Benitez as their new manager, and my advice to them could not be ­ clearer – don’t do it.

The prospect of a former Liverpool manager taking over at Goodison Park will send a shiver down the spine of many Evertonians, and some of my blue nose friends are not happy about it.

I saw former Everton keeper Neville Southall saying their fans will never accept Benitez as manager and I think he’s spot on.

Rafa will always be a Red and even though he has made Liverpool his home and I’m sure he would love the Everton job, he is not the right fit for them.

He would stabilise Everton, get them into the top half of the table next ­season and might even get them near a Cup final, but the style of football he promotes and the way he does things is not to everyone’s liking.

When Benitez is running a club, it’s his way or the highway and that’s not ideal if you are not one of his men.

Look at the way he treated Robbie Keane after he made his dream move to Liverpool in 2008.

Of course, there are two sides to the Benitez debate and there will always be plenty of Liverpool fans who will always hold Benitez in high esteem, as he was the manager who brought the fifth European Cup to the club on that famous night in Istanbul back in 2005.

It is an achievement that can never be taken from him, but there are some myths about that night that need to be popped.

First of all, he picked the wrong team to start that final in Istanbul, as Harry Kewell should not have started and the ­balance of the team was all wrong as AC Milan went 3-0 ahead.

Secondly, Benitez was about to take Djimi Traore off at half-time before Steve Finnan told him he was injured, and so he had to change his plans, which was a lucky break that went his way.

And thirdly, Steven Gerrard’s iconic performance dragged Liverpool to victory that night and gave Benitez the Champions League win that will always be on his record.

Rafa’s tactics were important in getting Liverpool through to that 2005 Champions League final and he was also inventive, as his side reached the 2007 final of that competition as well.

Yet the way it ended for him at Liverpool should not be forgotten.

He gave the green light for the club to sign way too many players who were not good enough to play for Liverpool reserves and you have to ask why those players ended up at the club?

Management is a lucrative game these days as the guys at the top get paid huge amounts and even if they fail, they get multi-millions euro pay-offs.

Benitez is proof of that and you should see the house he lives on a clifftop with panoramic views of the River Dee on the Wirral.

It’s one of the biggest houses on Merseyside, but is he really the right man for Everton now?

https://www.sundayworld.com/sport/soccer/my-advice-to-my-everton-pals-dont-touch-rafa-benitez-with-a-barge-pole-40558032.html

And so he goes on, I'm getting the impression he isn't Rafa's best friend. But yeah, one of the biggest houses on the Wirral definitely means the bitters shouldn't even consider Rafa. 

Sorry John, loved you as a player but christ you're bitter. 

Yeah, it's a terrible read that and just makes aldo sound jealous. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Aldo makes one or two salient points but they are lost within the bitterness of him having 'the biggest house on the Wirral.' It seems as if the article was written by an Evertonian.

Yep. Mentioning his house makes it personal. If it's not a blag blueshite piece then it's Aldridge pandering to the blues for some stupid reason. 

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I used to think Aldo was sound but a lot of our older players seem to turn jealous and bitter after a while and I dont understand it. Aldo is still getting work as much for our modern success as the times he was a player and fan.

Alot of it is probably to do with what was arguably our best period in our history with some of the best players the club and English football have seen earned less in a year that what Djimi traore did in a week. Must be hard to stomach.

• Upvote 1

Let's not kid ourselves that Aldo isn't representative of Liverpool fans! I remember this place being pretty toxic from 2007 onwards over Rafa. As is usual, this was all taking place in the maelstrom of the parasites so there was very little room for nuance and balance. We picked a side and that was that. 

looking back - the argument that Rafa wasted a lot of money on 'smaller' signings was fair - but one that I personally, absolutely failed to recognise at the time. I suppose the lack of any genuine premier league success from the likes of Spearing, Welsh etc. is proof that the academy wasn't good enough - but then again, non of those that he brought in succeeded either. I'd argue Warnock was the best 'Academy' player to have played under Rafa. Aldridge is really just symptomatic of that time in how he views Rafa. It really is a bad fit for him - the one thing he had at Newcastle was adulation from the fans, he isn't getting that from Everton. 

I don't think it is bitterness per se. Probably a lot more simpler - stupid people being asked their opinion! I am not sure there is a thicker pundit than Nicol (there are a few to be fair) - and as a Liverpool player he gets asked about us more. 

Give it to Aldo! He knows everything the Blues need and he has had success in the past with a smaller club. If he could satisfy the demands of the tough to please Tranmere hordes then giving The Brick regulars a spring in their step would be a doddle.