You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

When I was 4 years old after I'd murdered some Juventus fans I heard racism at goodison and thought it's only a small section of racists it would be wrong to label all evertonians racist on the actions of a small section of scum bags! And then I put it to one side and went about my killing.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

I love the 'Fiver' email from the Guardian and their description of Carlo's departure is brilliant.

' All that is left is a whiff of expensive cologne , a vague sense of regret and Josh King '

Fuck me, that is an excellent piece of journalism.

11 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Wow!

Just. Fucking.  Wow!

Oddly enough, just after we signed John Barnes,  a blue-nosed friend of mine (a right twat as it turned out) met me in the pub and started singing "There ain't no n*****s in the Everton team, do-dah, do-dah". Quite happy to carry on chanting his shite most of the evening to the mostly red company there.

1 minute ago, Chr15 said:

Oddly enough, just after we signed John Barnes,  a blue-nosed friend of mine (a right twat as it turned out) met me in the pub and started singing "There ain't no n*****s in the Everton team, do-dah, do-dah". Quite happy to carry on chanting his shite most of the evening to the mostly red company there.

There was racism both sides before Barnes signed, no doubt about that. With the culture of football in those days I don't think something like you've described would have been out of place at all and would have been taken by most as a joke. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

There was racism both sides before Barnes signed, no doubt about that. With the culture of football in those days I don't think something like you've described would have been out of place at all and would have been taken by most as a joke. 

I live in a working class Tory area and, sadly, these kind of views have never gone away.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, kemskem said:

The players started that I was told.

Which? The Digger Barnes nickname? No idea on that mate, but I can definitely confirm that it wasn’t rhyming slang like that absolute tit says. First time I heard that word was at goodison and thought it must be normal, so was very surprised when I got a clip round the ear for saying it in front of my mum when I was 7.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, I definitely heard it at both grounds growing up, but it seemed more prevalent at goodison to me as a kid. That’s no bias at all, as truth be told, with my dad being a blue and us going to both sets of games quite regularly, I was pretty fond of Everton in my youth.

1 minute ago, belarus said:

Which? The Digger Barnes nickname? No idea on that mate, but I can definitely confirm that it wasn’t rhyming slang like that absolute tit says. First time I heard that word was at goodison and thought it must be normal, so was very surprised when I got a clip round the ear for saying it in front of my mum when I was 7.

He got it for two reasons, the Dallas thing and the fact his name is John Charles Bryan Barnes or otherwise JCB Barnes.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, belarus said:

Yeah, I definitely heard it at both grounds growing up, but it seemed more prevalent at goodison to me as a kid. That’s no bias at all, as truth be told, with my dad being a blue and us going to both sets of games quite regularly, I was pretty fond of Everton in my youth.

Gotta be honest I think both of us were bad! Last game of the 86/87 season against Watford, Barnes got horrendous racial abuse from the Kop. 

Evertonians would be more correct to say that had they signed Barnes we would have continued being racist. The grounds in those days were overtly racist. 

• Upvote 1

"Dixie" Dean. The player himself hated the nickname. Next time a blue-shite mentions racism ask him about "Dixie". Most of the fucking farts probably think that was his actual name. You'll get called a murderer within seconds while their head combusts but it will be worth it. 

Can't remember who it was on this thread who pointed this out, I never actually knew myself but thanks for that. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Gotta be honest I think both of us were bad! Last game of the 86/87 season against Watford, Barnes got horrendous racial abuse from the Kop. 

Evertonians would be more correct to say that had they signed Barnes we would have continued being racist. The grounds in those days were overtly racist. 

Yeah, true. My match going days only started after we’d signed Barnes, so that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, belarus said:

I used to go to both grounds growing up too. I didn't think it was any different really. And just like Munich songs etc, it wasn't a minority, it was most of the fans or certainly the vocal ones.  I think fortunately it's better at both grounds now, Barnes was undoubtedly the trigger (no pun intended) to make our fans think about their actions - and fortunately he was fucking brilliant and we never looked back, I'm not sure it would have been the same if he was shit. It took more for the blues to stop. What I find genuinely sickening is their call of them being the righteous, when in fact in terms of the top flight they were the last club really to leave that era behind - I think even clubs with large moron England supporters like Leeds and Chelsea had toned it down (even if those people were still there) years before Everton. But they brush it aside and bang on about Trebilcock like they invented acceptance of black players in football. They're fucking shameless. And what is worse, all of those years of "Everton are white", like absolutely fucking everything they do, it was about us and not them. They used racism just to try and get one over on us. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"Dixie" Dean. The player himself hated the nickname. Next time a blue-shite mentions racism ask him about "Dixie". Most of the fucking farts probably think that was his actual name. You'll get called a murderer within seconds while their head combusts but it will be worth it. 

Can't remember who it was on this thread who pointed this out, I never actually knew myself but thanks for that. 

And why is he called Dixie? 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I used to go to both grounds growing up too. I didn't think it was any different really. And just like Munich songs etc, it wasn't a minority, it was most of the fans or certainly the vocal ones.  I think fortunately it's better at both grounds now, Barnes was undoubtedly the trigger (no pun intended) to make our fans think about their actions - and fortunately he was fucking brilliant and we never looked back, I'm not sure it would have been the same if he was shit. It took more for the blues to stop. What I find genuinely sickening is their call of them being the righteous, when in fact in terms of the top flight they were the last club really to leave that era behind - I think even clubs with large moron England supporters like Leeds and Chelsea had toned it down (even if those people were still there) years before Everton. But they brush it aside and bang on about Trebilcock like they invented acceptance of black players in football. They're fucking shameless. And what is worse, all of those years of "Everton are white", like absolutely fucking everything they do, it was about us and not them. They used racism just to try and get one over on us. 

I heard Walters getting racially abused by some reds in the ground - not pitch side, but shouting it either way, and it was jumped on and they were told to pack it in. 

But yeah, it was still around. Just seemed less to me at anfield. Perhaps I was biased, or have been clouded as I’ve aged and the bitterness between the fans has grown.

Used to think it was funny when the language got a bit colourful and somebody would shout “ey, there’s kids down here” and point at me, but I was loving it - building up my repertoire for school on Monday.

Edit - not the racism though!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

This sums it up perfectly. Says a lot that even during all those years (decades) there was genuine shock when they threw dozens of bananas at Barnes in the League Cup tie. As overt the racism was - that was still shocking! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

And why is he called Dixie? 

One version is that it was because of his dark skin suggesting that he was mixed race. Dixie being a popular Minstrel song. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jockey said:

This sums it up perfectly. Says a lot that even during all those years (decades) there was genuine shock when they threw dozens of bananas at Barnes in the League Cup tie. As overt the racism was - that was still shocking! 

Didn’t we have the episode with giant blow-up bananas at a Pit Derby as well?

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Didn’t we have the episode with giant blow-up bananas at a Pit Derby as well?

Yes! It was horrible and the fact that they are trying to brush it aside is a disgrace - albeit not surprising. It wasn't akin to Suarez when we made an error of judgement - that became who they were for 3 or 4 years. They became more racist and revelled in it because they were not us! 

I can remember going to an FA cup game against York when I was about 8. Stood right behind the Kop goal, York's centre forward was a big imposing black fella like John Fashanu.

They had a corner and he stood in front of Bruce Grobbelaar. One fella in his fifties standing next to us shouted "eh Brucie, don't stand for that, kill that big black cunt". Grobbelaar turned round in disgust and put his finger over his mouth to tell the fella to shut up. This fella then said "Don't shush me Brucie lad, you used to shoot the cunts in the jungle".

Loads of people laughed, my Dad just shook his head and said "ignore all that"