You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Says there's only one word for it then gives half a dozen.

The word he's looking for is Everton.  It's the collective of that half a dozen.

One of the few things that brings me solace in this miserable bastard of a season is the fact that they're having as shite a time of it at home as us and it's keeping us within catching distance of them.

It's still down to us to get ahead of them though.

• Upvote 2

To be fair its shite. Makes it harder to compete at that level and earn a pedigree if places are given to those who already have it. Why don't they stop fucking about with the game, everything they do is to find more ways they can rinse more cash out of it until its just a husk that everybody hates.

• Upvote 2

Imagine the tantrums all over little England, it would almost make this shitfest of a season worthwhile. 10 years ago I’d have said this is one for the modern football thread but if last season showed us anything it’s that the hate for LFC is strong. I think it would be hilarious, especially if someone like Karen Brady is effected by it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

To be fair its shite. Makes it harder to compete at that level and earn a pedigree if places are given to those who already have it. Why don't they stop fucking about with the game, everything they do is to find more ways they can rinse more cash out of it until its just a husk that everybody hates.

Everton won't want to be in it anyway as they are the last Corinthians, the People's club and the rebellious force against anything to do with modern football. 

That and the fact that they think it was a glorified FA Cup when we won it. 

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

If that’s true then my order of preferred outcomes for this season are as follows:-

1. Win the champions league

2. Finish 6th but qualify ahead of Everton.

3.Finish in the top 4.

This is about the proposed new changes which are being discussed not this season. Basically the gripe is that in circumstances where Everton (or any other club) don't qualify because they're fifth one of the top ranking clubs might be offered one of the four new extra places. The answer is for Everton to either qualify off their own bat by finishing in the top four or to start winning it consistently and earn a top ranking themselves. The suggestion seems to be that Everton should get one of the extra places even though they've done nothing to earn it. 

5 minutes ago, aws said:

This is about the proposed new changes which are being discussed not this season. Basically the gripe is that in circumstances where Everton (or any other club) don't qualify because they're fifth one of the top ranking clubs might be offered one of the four new extra places. The answer is for Everton to either qualify off their own bat by finishing in the top four or to start winning it consistently and earn a top ranking themselves. The suggestion seems to be that Everton should get one of the extra places even though they've done nothing to earn it. 

They have. They would have won at least 10 European Cups between 1986 and 2004. In 2005 were in a period of transition and were forced to enter the qualifiers but UEFA, Real Madrid, der redshite, Bayern, Barcelona, Man Utd and Milan were so sick of their virtual dominance they paid off Collina to keep them out all costs. So quite rightly they should be given a place simply to recognise their contribution to the competition down the years. 

6 hours ago, aws said:

I think we should all expect at some point there'll be a way for the super clubs to take part even when they don't qualify. It stands to reason it'll happen - and not just because the super clubs want it, but because TV and sponsors (at club and uefa level) will both want it. 

If it's going to happen, I think it should be merit based, but not at the expense of clubs within domestic leagues. If we say England maintains its 4 slots - I think this should be supplemented by any potential CL and EL winner like today, plus some system of filling slots based on historical contribution to the competition. So I would allow UEFA to have a certain number of slots in the competition, perhaps say 4 like a big domestic league like England or Spain. Then uefa get to allocate in the 1st instance to the winners of the CL and EL should they not have already qualified. Then the remaining places (which still may be 4) go to the 4 most successful teams historically who haven't qualified. Maybe it could be limited to some extent say by teams who've qualified for europe say 2 or 3 times in the last 5. 

They're planning to reformat the competition anyway, so the idea of adding 4 teams for uefa (2 of them kind of exist anyway), doesn't seem such a difficult thing to achieve anyway. We've accepted shite like winners of the fair play league getting into the uefa for years, so this seems relatively uncontroversial to me. 

52 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think we should all expect at some point there'll be a way for the super clubs to take part even when they don't qualify. It stands to reason it'll happen - and not just because the super clubs want it, but because TV and sponsors (at club and uefa level) will both want it. 

If it's going to happen, I think it should be merit based, but not at the expense of clubs within domestic leagues. If we say England maintains its 4 slots - I think this should be supplemented by any potential CL and EL winner like today, plus some system of filling slots based on historical contribution to the competition. So I would allow UEFA to have a certain number of slots in the competition, perhaps say 4 like a big domestic league like England or Spain. Then uefa get to allocate in the 1st instance to the winners of the CL and EL should they not have already qualified. Then the remaining places (which still may be 4) go to the 4 most successful teams historically who haven't qualified. Maybe it could be limited to some extent say by teams who've qualified for europe say 2 or 3 times in the last 5. 

They're planning to reformat the competition anyway, so the idea of adding 4 teams for uefa (2 of them kind of exist anyway), doesn't seem such a difficult thing to achieve anyway. We've accepted shite like winners of the fair play league getting into the uefa for years, so this seems relatively uncontroversial to me. 

I think this is what is being suggested.  There  would be 4 extra places so the English top four would still qualify plus one of the 'historic" English clubs might in certain circumstances be given a lifeline qualifying place. Nobody is being denied a place they've earned but  UEFA get the chance to protect the "value" of the competition by giving an additional place to one or two of the big attraction clubs who might have had a shit season. 

1 hour ago, aws said:

I think this is what is being suggested.  There  would be 4 extra places so the English top four would still qualify plus one of the 'historic" English clubs might in certain circumstances be given a lifeline qualifying place. Nobody is being denied a place they've earned but  UEFA get the chance to protect the "value" of the competition by giving an additional place to one or two of the big attraction clubs who might have had a shit season. 

Doesn't seem all that bad then. It's exactly what our owners would like obviously as it basically protects them against relegation, assuming the guaranteed funds from the CL can always keep us out of domestic relegation. 

I thought I'd read the general feeling was that these positions should be used to guarantee group stage placement to champions of leagues that aren't consistently making it, but are well established European footballing nations.