You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

But there is an opportunity with the right vision and transport upgrades, this area could be more than a stadium and a shit factory. However, on top of the covid issues, Peel are cunts and we have no serious leadership in the city right now to drive a project like this anyway. 

A shit factory and an Everton stadium. So, two shit factories, then. How much shit can one area of the city handle?

On 01/04/2019 at 13:31, manwiththestick said:

People's club, cuckoo clock,

Fake new ground at Bramley dock.

Loads of boos, throwing kids,

Lonsdale slip ons for the lids.

Dixie Dean, no things red,

Wiping snot on womens heads.

Got loads of money, Reds will spew,

Turned the Liver Buildings blue.

We didn't win in Europe etc

How did I miss this when it was first posted? Truly magnificent!

15 hours ago, General Dryness said:

"No way Bayern let him go if he's fit and reliable."

They "let him go" because he was in the final year of his contract and he told them he wasn't going to sign another one, you fucking mental blue cunts.

Whereas Barcelona keep letting their best and brightest go to Woodison.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, General Dryness said:

"No way Bayern let him go if he's fit and reliable."

They "let him go" because he was in the final year of his contract and he told them he wasn't going to sign another one, you fucking mental blue cunts.

James Rodriguez is the player you get when you order a footballer off wish 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Rooney was a brilliant player but if people think he's the best this country has produced no wonder were shite. Plus again people think football began with the Premier league.

He's clearly not the best. Equally he's leading scorer for both man united and England, which is an incredible achievement. 

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's clearly not the best. Equally he's leading scorer for both man united and England, which is an incredible achievement. 

He was just handed appearances for about 3-5 years for both England and United.  It’s not as incredible an achievement when United can’t get rid of you because they’re paying you too much and every England manager is too scared to drop you.  He was a very good footballer up until about 26 when his abuse of his body caught up with him.  He never carried any team he played in though.  By the time the “golden generation” had retired from internationals he may as well have done because he was that shit.

Most of his goals were in shit qualifying groups. Think he only scored one goal in the Euros and can't recall him ever scoring in a World Cup. Bobby Charlton would probably have scored 110 goals if he was playing Andorra, Bulgaria, Switzerland and Malta every couple of years. England very rarely get put in a group with another tough nation, the hardest is usually Poland or Romania. They have a free run at the tournaments every 2 years. 

Had a tantrum in 2006 and got himself sent off against Portugal. Threw a paddy at the end of the Algeria game in South Africa when they got booed off. Can't even remember him playing in 2014. 

All the Ingerland twats had a go at Carragher for missing a penalty in Gemany 2006. At least he had the balls to take one, whereas Rooney had done fuck all in the game and then let his team mates down by kicking someone in from of the ref. Yet no one said anything about him.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's a good point. Where Lineker's generation had to play against Yugoslavia and the USSR, Rooney's generation got the chance to fill their boots against the likes of Macedonia and Moldova.

Even the tournaments got expanded so England were almost guaranteed to qualify and play more games. The only one they've missed since 1994 was the 2008 Euros in Switzerland and Austria. 

In 1988 England played in an 8 team tournament, now they play in easier groups. They get all excited when they twat the shit teams then get to the knocked phase then get bummed and the flag shaggers go into meltdown.

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

He was just handed appearances for about 3-5 years for both England and United.  It’s not as incredible an achievement when United can’t get rid of you because they’re paying you too much and every England manager is too scared to drop you.  He was a very good footballer up until about 26 when his abuse of his body caught up with him.  He never carried any team he played in though.  By the time the “golden generation” had retired from internationals he may as well have done because he was that shit.

Oh come on. No Englishman has ever scored more in an England shirt. The mancs are the 2nd most successful club in English history and he's their leading scorer. And he wasn't even an out and out striker. All players get picked after their best and everyone who's ever pulled on an England shirt has had the opportunity to score as many as Rooney and failed. Plenty at manchester united went before him and never hit that tally. He probably wouldn't be in my top 10 English players - but I don't think about stuff like that too much. Maybe he would make a front 2, I'd have him before shearer, Owen and lineker who are 3 I can think of who were England's leading men in my lifetime. Rooney is a fucking bellend, who would rank in the "deffo wouldn't want a pint with him category", but I'd be amazed if there's been an English striker before or since who wouldn't swap their careers for his aside from perhaps ones who won a world cup. Rooney might not have hit the heights many thought when he broke into the scene as they thought he'd be the English maradona, but despite that he had an amazing career. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Must have been against someone else as he flipped at the end of the game. It was 0-0 and the ingerland media went mad because they thought that Algeria should let them win 5-0.

Haha, thanks for reminding me. 

I looked it up and it was actually against Uruguay in 2014, the one where Suarez basically hopped out of a wheelchair to knock Ingurland out with two goals.

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Oh come on. No Englishman has ever scored more in an England shirt. The mancs are the 2nd most successful club in English history and he's their leading scorer. And he wasn't even an out and out striker. All players get picked after their best and everyone who's ever pulled on an England shirt has had the opportunity to score as many as Rooney and failed. Plenty at manchester united went before him and never hit that tally. He probably wouldn't be in my top 10 English players - but I don't think about stuff like that too much. Maybe he would make a front 2, I'd have him before shearer, Owen and lineker who are 3 I can think of who were England's leading men in my lifetime. Rooney is a fucking bellend, who would rank in the "deffo wouldn't want a pint with him category", but I'd be amazed if there's been an English striker before or since who wouldn't swap their careers for his aside from perhaps ones who won a world cup. Rooney might not have hit the heights many thought when he broke into the scene as they thought he'd be the English maradona, but despite that he had an amazing career. 

I'd have him ahead of Owen but I think Lineker was superb for England. I wouldnt like to compare him to Shearer as I think they are different types of players.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd have him ahead of Owen but I think Lineker was superb for England. I wouldnt like to compare him to Shearer as I think they are different types of players.

Well to be honest I wouldn't compare him with any of them, but it seems that's what we have to do if we're trying to pick something as subjective as a "best". Lineker would be the 1st to say it's about how many you score as a forward and Rooney is top of the pile. He played a lot of games, but then despite finishing his career what feels early, the lad was flying when he was 18 in the euros in 2004. I think my point really is Rooney was in the top drawer of English footballers. We don't have a maradona etc, one of those true world greats or certainly not in my lifetime, so if we can put the achievement of 66 to one side (as I think that elevates those players above all that have played for England), Rooney is from a category of top English players. And he has a scoring record at club and country that also sets him aside from everyone before and since in those colours. I don't think he's the best ever, but I think he's in a group of players who were incredible footballers who's career all but a small number of professionals would kill to have. 

To try and say Rooney had anything but a stunning career to me feels a little bit like saying jelovic was a better buy than Suarez and pace goals don't count. 

His England record is based on the shit loads of meaningless friendlies and qualifiers against conference nations. That said, his Utd record is superb and nobody can knock his achievements. It says a lot about the talent the lad had that he retires as England and Man Utds top scorer and people will still think he kind of wasted his career (as amazing as it was). On his day he was as good as anyone I've seen play footy, his Utd debut was on another level and I've seen games where he has picked it up by the scruff of the neck and won it himself.

I think slur making him second fiddle to Ronaldo for a few years stunted his footballing growth. He had another level to go up which would have put him in the Messi/Ronaldo bracket but he was cast aside a bit. Ferguson never trusted him after he kicked up a stink in the media with the Ozil stuff. I do reckon if he had gone to Madrid in 2010 he could well have gone down in history as one of the greats. 

Superb player nobody can deny that. Its a shame for him that there will always be a "what if' hanging there. 

• Upvote 1

Rooney was a very very good striker, his goals record backs that up.

Taking aside that he only really pulled on an Everton or United shirt in his career (apart from England as well) the one thing I felt he could have helped with, given the almost god like position he had at old toilet, was the enmity between us and them.

He perpetuated it, despite being a scouser, and I think had he made a subtle reference to the shite Ferdinand, Neville et al were coming out with, then I’d think a lot more of him today than I do.