You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

7 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Was Alan Ball actually any good?. My old boss used to go on about him like he was better than Maradona. 

Well he played in a World Cup final aged just 21 I think although he was actually a Blackpool player at the time. He was a bit of a terrier type player with bags of energy. Wouldnt have called him a very skillful player, more industrious with a will to win.

Alan Ball made his debut (for Blackpool) against us in our first game back in the top flight. They won (at Anfield) so that distinguishes him from the vast majority of Everton players. He was a very good player, so much so that Shankly had Ian Ross man mark him in a couple of derbies. The only other player who got the same attention was Beckenbauer, so not bad company.

20 hours ago, Red74 said:

Think I mentioned on here a while back there’s a Lad I know who worked for the committee who authorised grants etc for works to be done on the city and he was telling me the initial plans they submitted were deliberately designed to be sent straight back for changes. Covid done them a massive favour in delaying resubmission and therefore going to the back of the queue again. Also, take into account the current heritage England drama where they knowingly went for a site that was under loads of restrictions to build on. They should have just went straight to gilmoss when they had the chance and they’d have had it built now but with these mings, they always have to do something shinier than us. 

As soon as the commonwealth games were taken away they should have just come straight out and said this is a none starter. 

There's a reason they didn't go for gilmoss...they might have actually been under pressure to find funds and build it. 

10 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

They are fixated on this concept of players "knowing what it is like to play for Everton" rather than actual talent.if any of them throw them a bone like one of their stupid soundbites they lap it up. 

I'm sure Erik Meijer knew what it was like to play for Liverpool but he wasnt actually any good. 

It's because so many players go to Everton for a final pay day. Their career is over and they no longer care. We got a few of those players like poulson and cole when we were on our arse. They've had decades of it. Luckily for us, even when we've been shite, aside from that period around 2010, we've mostly been a destination or at least a stepping stone destination for players, so they put it out on the pitch. We would call it "trying". Bloos call it "knowing what it means to play for Everton". 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

I had a pair of white Hummel Alan Ball boots , and was pleased when Steve Heighway brought out his red /ox blood Stylo Matchmakers so I could be a purer fan.

Was it Alan Ball who scored in his white boots in the FA Cup, the one the wind blew in as Shanks said, another match I vaguely remember watching on the screens at Anfield.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's a reason they didn't go for gilmoss...they might have actually been under pressure to find funds and build it. 

It's because so many players go to Everton for a final pay day. Their career is over and they no longer care. We got a few of those players like poulson and cole when we were on our arse. They've had decades of it. Luckily for us, even when we've been shite, aside from that period around 2010, we've mostly been a destination or at least a stepping stone destination for players, so they put it out on the pitch. We would call it "trying". Bloos call it "knowing what it means to play for Everton". 

Not forgetting *cough* managers *cough*... not that anyone would ever say such a thing about the current incumbent

• Upvote 2

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/echo-comment-fears-of-witch-hunt-against-liverpool-fc-part-3.107670/post-8267454

I think catcher in the rye fears for us, I think he really does.

there’s not an element of our club he’s not a bona fide expert on, but this is super.

catcherintherye

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £70m

If I was to guess, he knew this might come & they were planning to break up the team with one or two big sales this summer and a rebuilding job. Covid scuppered that and as such they doubled down on the same team for one more year which has blown up in their face.

Certainly does feel like the cliff edge and you are right, its a vicious cycle, More injuries means more risk to those remaining........

Regarding the juicing point, it simply cannot be unique to one team or manager, there is too many staff (medical and players) moving between clubs for this to remain confidential. Either they are all at it and it is systemic across the board or the more likely is that they are pushing sports science and TUE's to the absolute max. Although, when you look at the fuentes case and the Dr's involved there, it would suggest that certainly one, if not two of the Big two in spain have crossed the line.

I think a couple of things happened for them and it's been a bit of a perfect storm. Firstly nobody wanted Mane in summer 19. Madrid wouldn't go beyond 70m. They wanted in excess of 100, it got laughed off.

The crisis then happened, and they were in essence the traderleft with too much stock in a brutal recession. Loads of players, on long term deals who now will not only not gain much value, but actually you struggle to get rid of them.

It killed the market for Wilson, Shaqiri, Origi, Grugic, Brewster, Chamberlain, Karius etc. There are more but I'm a bit too ill tonight to think of them. In most cases they are left loaning them out, and only getting some of their wages met. Not big fees as they hoped.

I think they had hoped for fans to be back by now. Each game they are not it's killing them. United's financial results are grim, and theirs will be much much worse.

They have a Manchester City style wages budget, with a good but not world leading commercial operation and now not being able to trade. Those players they have are drains.

I can see why their owners are panicking and making idiots of themselves, making outlandish moves. It's panic.

In fairness it's not their owners fault. They were doing what you should do in good teams. Hedging and being bold on them continuing. Unfortunately recessions are cruel, and often punish people unduly who had previously done the right things. The trader with too much stock comes to mind.

3 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/echo-comment-fears-of-witch-hunt-against-liverpool-fc-part-3.107670/post-8267454

there’s not an element of our club he’s not a bona fide expert on, but this is super.

catcherintherye

catcherintherye

If I was to guess, he knew this might come & they were planning to break up the team with one or two big sales this summer and a rebuilding job. Covid scuppered that and as such they doubled down on the same team for one more year which has blown up in their face.

Certainly does feel like the cliff edge and you are right, its a vicious cycle, More injuries means more risk to those remaining........

Regarding the juicing point, it simply cannot be unique to one team or manager, there is too many staff (medical and players) moving between clubs for this to remain confidential. Either they are all at it and it is systemic across the board or the more likely is that they are pushing sports science and TUE's to the absolute max. Although, when you look at the fuentes case and the Dr's involved there, it would suggest that certainly one, if not two of the Big two in spain have crossed the line.

I think a couple of things happened for them and it's been a bit of a perfect storm. Firstly nobody wanted Mane in summer 19. Madrid wouldn't go beyond 70m. They wanted in excess of 100, it got laughed off.

The crisis then happened, and they were in essence the traderleft with too much stock in a brutal recession. Loads of players, on long term deals who now will not only not gain much value, but actually you struggle to get rid of them.

It killed the market for Wilson, Shaqiri, Origi, Grugic, Brewster, Chamberlain, Karius etc. There are more but I'm a bit too ill tonight to think of them. In most cases they are left loaning them out, and only getting some of their wages met. Not big fees as they hoped.

I think they had hoped for fans to be back by now. Each game they are not it's killing them. United's financial results are grim, and theirs will be much much worse.

They have a Manchester City style wages budget, with a good but not world leading commercial operation and now not being able to trade. Those players they have are drains.

I can see why their owners are panicking and making idiots of themselves, making outlandish moves. It's panic.

In fairness it's not their owners fault. They were doing what you should do in good teams. Hedging and being bold on them continuing. Unfortunately recessions are cruel, and often punish people unduly who had previously done the right things. The trader with too much stock comes to mind.

Fucking mentalist sat over there with no hint of irony at his own clubs sorry financial state.

He's a dickhead.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I’m jealous at some of the replies .....

GrandOldTeamGrandOldTeam
@grandoldteam
What's your "I was there" game that you'll always remember?

Hahaha  quite a few "Hibberts Testimonial" I forgot he even existed 

10 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

catcherintherye

catcherintherye

Grade A gobshite and that's a bit unfair on gobshites.

9 hours ago, Stickman said:

I’m jealous at some of the replies .....

GrandOldTeamGrandOldTeam
@grandoldteam
What's your "I was there" game that you'll always remember?

Maybe you had to be there to appreciate it, for me I'll settle for Rome, Paris, Istanbul and other glorious destinations. Suppose Tony Hibs testimonial wouldn't be a bad comparison though.