You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Out of all the sites in the city why choose this one?. They could have easily built a stadium elsewhere in the city by now and for probably about £200m less without the need for all these heritage and planning hurdles. 

They've been trying to move for years so why have they made life difficult for themselves?

Not arsed if it gets built, it will rejuvenate that area but it seems that they've dragged this out for a long time when there were easier options for them to build elsewhere like on the east lancs road or not far from South Parkway station.

Every single bit of this process has been drawn out and over complicated by so many factors such as:

Filling in a dock rather than just building on a barren wasteland on the outskirts of the city.

Building a stadium in an area with no transport links and a small road.

Building it near the town centre.

Building it by listed buildings and Victorian dock walls.

Having extensive drawn out public consultations. 

Building it next to a freezing river and smelly area of oil factories and sewage plant. 

Trying to make it an "iconic" stadium which will cost more money

1 hour ago, Chocoholic said:

No doubt all posting in perfect English, as you do when you're from Colombia.

That’s the funniest and most transparent bit.  They’re posting in attempted broken English which is the biggest giveaway and then following it up with saying he could be a Toffee legend.  It’s just so embarrassing.  They’ve got one fella claiming to be Colombian-American going on about kit sales and that’s when you realise what they’re up to.  They think that amateur outfit they’ve got making their kits are going to be reading their forum and the flooding Colombia with the Everton kit as a result.  Fucking mad cunts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Out of all the sites in the city why choose this one?. They could have easily built a stadium elsewhere in the city by now and for probably about £200m less without the need for all these heritage and planning hurdles. 

They've been trying to move for years so why have they made life difficult for themselves?

Not arsed if it gets built, it will rejuvenate that area but it seems that they've dragged this out for a long time when there were easier options for them to build elsewhere like on the east lancs road or not far from South Parkway station.

Every single bit of this process has been drawn out and over complicated by so many factors. 

I keep thinking why dont they just re develop the Park End. For £100m they could easily stick 8000 extra seats in there at a cost of 1\5th of the unicorn stadium.

The only viable reason not to is they dont have the money. That then begs the question how can they pay for BMD? Again, the answer is they cannot and are hoping Moshiri and or usmanov will fund it.

But that just means they are tennants again and the funders will surely want a good return for their investment. It's all just bizarre.

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

There are discussions to be had on both sides of this argument. Just saying something will 'create jobs' is a crock of shit but then again objecting against a huge development while letting thousands of private residences be built on many other disused docks smacks of hypocrisy to me. As long as Everton fund it all and no money comes from public funds,I'd apply the same to Liverpool as well,then go for it IF its a real possibility. Mind you if your club has been spouting 'new stadium' bollocks since the 1990s then its unlikely to happen.

Well HE are also claiming there are alternatives for the site than just Everton. Aside from random shite spouted by peel over the years, I've no idea what that is. I think everyone who comes from the city would agree at this point the existing dock serves no purpose, but it doesn't mean it has to go. I just think Everton should be treated like anyone else would wanting to build on the site. I'm no planning expert and as close as I know to heritage stuff is having previously owned a flat in a grade 2 listed building, which is pretty much nothing in comparison to the status of being a world heritage site. 

But the strange thing I took from that article is basically it stays as a dock or it can't be built on. I just don't see how that takes 4 years to get to - there's more at play here I think. Either this is an outcome Everton want or HE are just after better concessions than they already have, maybe Everton need to embark on/include another project as well as this so it's not just a random stadium and nothing else there. So it does become a genuine kick start to regeneration. 

Honestly I think historic England need to fuck off.  It’s not like they’re knocking down the liver buildings here.  It’s an old disused dock that’s of no interest to anyone and never will be.  It’s not going to create as many jobs as they claim it will but it will create a lot of short term construction work and people will benefit from it here.

I wondered why they were going down to Parliament months ago singing the praises of the economic benefit of it all.  It looked like they were going looking for public money but it might just have been pre-empting this.  I actually feel like it is going to be built now.  They’re spending too much time and money on it for it not to be.

I do fear for them long term with this though.  Whoever is financing it is going to want their money back and it isn’t going to be from selling the club because they’re not worth anything even with a brand new stadium.  Paying it off themselves through profit they generate will kill them off on the pitch which could just spiral.  Not one of their fans ever seems to ask any questions about any of this.  It’s just build it whatever the consequences so we’ve got some banter points on the board.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I keep thinking why dont they just re develop the Park End. For £100m they could easily stick 8000 extra seats in there at a cost of 1\5th of the unicorn stadium.

The only viable reason not to is they dont have the money. That then begs the question how can they pay for BMD? Again, the answer is they cannot and are hoping Moshiri and or usmanov will fund it.

But that just means they are tennants again and the funders will surely want a good return for their investment. It's all just bizarre.

I've often thought this, but apparently it's not that simple according to my bloo mate. He reckons the 1st problem is an redeveloped park end would require a full rebuild to include decent hospitality (and apparently hospitality doesn't sell well behind the goal), which is something to do with the cheap arsed way they built it originally. Then there's issue with the bullins road that will require significant investment if they stay, at the moment they're just about patching it up with each year. 

3 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Well, if anything like the rest I'm sure he will. Hope you enjoyed your holiday here

It was quite splendid. The people were ridiculously friendly and the beach near the turtle hospital was amazing. 

We were staying in a villa with the in-laws. Every time my brother-in-law got his little lad into a fresh change of clothes, he'd jump in the pool and need changing again; hence the need for emergency footy shirts, because he hadn't packed enough.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It was quite splendid. The people were ridiculously friendly and the beach near the turtle hospital was amazing. 

We were staying in a villa with the in-laws. Every time my brother-in-law got his little lad into a fresh change of clothes, he'd jump in the pool and need changing again; hence the need for emergency footy shirts, because he hadn't packed enough.

great stuff, its a lovely place to live

45 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've often thought this, but apparently it's not that simple according to my bloo mate. He reckons the 1st problem is an redeveloped park end would require a full rebuild to include decent hospitality (and apparently hospitality doesn't sell well behind the goal), which is something to do with the cheap arsed way they built it originally. Then there's issue with the bullins road that will require significant investment if they stay, at the moment they're just about patching it up with each year. 

Their fans would no longer be able to claim the moral high ground and post that David Conn article every 5 minutes if they rebuilt around the ground and had to buy up houses and the school behind the Bullens road. 

15 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Their fans would no longer be able to claim the moral high ground and post that David Conn article every 5 minutes if they rebuilt around the ground and had to buy up houses and the school behind the Bullens road. 

You could say that about foreign support, but they seem to be embracing it! 

Oh, hello, the fire sale is about to get under way. No sniggering at the back.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/kean-iwobi-everton-ancelotti-overhaul-22687707

Everton's new signings have offered real hope after hitting the ground running - but also highlighted a pressing problem for the club.

While a completely new-look midfield brought rightful acclaim at Spurs on the opening weekend, it also emphasised the number of players now surplus to requirements who the Blues want to place in the shop window.

In fact, Director of Football Marcel Brands could realistically listen to offers for an entire shadow XI, as years of scatter-gun spending has caught up with the Merseyside club.

Some of those players will go into the shop window on Wednesday as manager Carlo Ancelotti looks to give his squad a run out against Salford.

Sandro Ramirez, Yannick Bolasie and Mo Besic have all returned from loans last season and will be offloaded should there be any interest,w hich is not guaranteed.

The same applies to defender Matthew Pennington, while Beni Baningime could be loaned out to gain more first team experience.

But it is a more established list of first team names which will arouse interest before the transfer window closes in October, with the club perhaps ready to listen to offers if the price is right, as they look to trim the squad to a more manageable level.

Cenk Tosun is still injured and may be difficult to shift, but Ancelotti will sell if he can. The likes of Theo Walcott, Gylfi Sigurdsson, and Bernard are likely to be squad players on big wages this season, and so could be shifted for any decent fee.

But it is recent signings Moise Keane and Alex Iwobi who will arouse most controversy, after being signed by Brands only a year ago, in a big spending spree last summer.

Neither has established himself and both could command decent fees, which would help balance the books after spending on James Rodriguez, Allan and Abdoulaye Dacoure this time around.

Such a move would be a tacit admission last summer’s spending hasn’t work, but the club may decide to cut their losses and clear up space in the squad, with interest in loan signings.

Everton have been in discussions over a loan deal for Chelsea defender Fikayo Tomori and still hope to conclude a deal, while they have also been linked with Napoli’s Hirving Lozano.