You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

28 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

They’re all getting ideas above their station again, do they ever learn..................

miami

Player Valuation: £500k
if you don't think big, you won't get big. City and RS can't keep their levels of the last 2 seasons going forever. Law of averages tells you that. Leicester won it a few years ago. Tells you football isn't an exact science or predictable in any shape or form. Athletico beat Barca and real Madrid to the la liga title a few years ago. Who'd have thought that would've happened. 

With the right players, right manager, right mentality and a good bit of confidence and belief, anything is possible

Death

Death

Player Valuation: £70m
Why f’ing not. Wish that was the RS today. Can’t wait to get into them.

Seems fair enough, what's the point if you can't tap into a little bit of a dream?

Was a good goal for them today, but their star signing missed a proper sitter. Doucoure will make them a good profit in a couple of years. Spurs were shocking, trying to press high with Kane on the team is never going to work.

• Like 1

And following up on the James point, Ancelotti said it too. He was asked about James' adaptation and he basically said great players don't really need to adapt, and he's right. He just strolled around and pinged it everywhere. Made a bit of a mockery of "the pace of the Premier League" thing. Thiago would do the same for us if we sign him. He'd run circles around people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

And following up on the James point, Ancelotti said it too. He was asked about James' adaptation and he basically said great players don't really need to adapt, and he's right. He just strolled around and pinged it everywhere. Made a bit of a mockery of "the pace of the Premier League" thing. Thiago would do the same for us if we sign him. He'd run circles around people.

I admit I did like the quote by Ancelotti that if he worried Rodriguez lacked pace he would've signed Usain Bolt.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

And following up on the James point, Ancelotti said it too. He was asked about James' adaptation and he basically said great players don't really need to adapt, and he's right. 

I'm not sure I agree, especially in a Klopp side. Fabinho took a while for example but look at him now. 

I am sure you can give me loads of examples of great players settling immediately but I am saying it's not the same for every great player

7 hours ago, aws said:

Wasn't much of a deflection though. More of a brushing against the defender before hitting the outstretched arm where it was always headed. 

I’d say it was a pretty big deflection to be fair because his arm is so far away from his body.  You could argue he kept his arm away from the shot initially with it being where it was.  I do think under any rules it shouldn’t be a pen really and specifically now under the current ones more than ever.  You could also argue he was making his body bigger so it’s his own fault but I don’t think he was doing it on purpose.  When your body twists and turns your arms end up in all sorts of mad positions.

Personally I think the handball rules have completely lost the point.  The punishment should fit the crime.  If you’re stopping a goal scoring opportunity then it should definitely be a penalty but if it’s deflecting off parts of your body like that then there’s obviously no intention to gain any sort of advantage it’s just complete luck.  Other incidents like our Champions League final one against spurs I don’t think should be pens either.  You’re pretty much getting a free goal for an incident where the team weren’t even going to get a shot in.  I’d say for handballs like that you should just get a free kick pulled back to outside of the box or something similar.

Leicester winning the league was probably the worst thing that could happen to evertonians. Because that happened, they cling to the belief it could happen for them, I mean obviously it isn't completely impossible, just highly improbable. Me buying a lottery ticket doesn't mean I will win, it just means I stand slightly more chance than someone that hasn't bought one. Although I could never win the lottery, I'm not fat enough. 

They've had one game, a game against a lacklustre spurs, they have an excellent manager and yes they played well. IF they continued to meet teams playing that badly and they remained consistent and without their boo boys getting on their players back then they could achieve top half of the table and 'might' take some points from teams they usually surrender to. Which considering the money wasted spent by them is probably the least they should be expecting.

A decent everton, an everton doing really well doesn't bother me. I'm sure every red would take some football banter each week from a cheerful blue than the snide knocks they have to resort to when they have their usual season. After 25 years of absolutely nothing who would begrudge them a trophy. I mean sure city (their new best friends) would probably beat them in the final but that is the kind of football irony I enjoy. However if everton faced city in a league cup final I would certainly be cheering on everton, just as I would any little team against the oil cheats. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The Guest said:

They played alright I thought.  The two midfielders they’ve signed are exactly what they needed.  It was one of the easiest games they could have started the season with though.  Spurs are finished.  Mourinho is done at this level even with money so without is a sight to see.  Kane is a joke.  He can’t run and it has a detrimental effect on the rest of the team.  It’s difficult to see where the goals are going to come from if they’ve got Son that far wide.

I imagine James is thinking what the fuck is all the hype about this league, it’s a piece of piss.  Wait until it gets cold and there’s team running you off the park and smashing into you.  If he can handle all that I’ll hold my hands up and say I was wrong about him.

Yeah, they looked a different team to last year, but it's pretty difficult to judge because of how poor spurs were. Their midfield is awful and what you mention about Kane is spot on. I don't think Son has been the same player this last 12 months either, although maybe that's because of where mourinho is playing him like you mention. I personally just think he's lost that ability to fight through people like he used to, a kind of combination of strength and almost speed. He's ending the wrong side of the defender too often - but maybe that is his starting position, I hadn't thought about that. 

As for Rodriguez, he won't get an easier game all season and while he looked pretty, I'm not sure he did anything special. We'll see with him, but I'll be shocked if he's one of their main players this year and I think it's tough to make a front 3 work with a player who can't run because it's tough to stretch teams. 

9 hours ago, The Guest said:

The first time I seen it, it looked a definite pen but after a few replays you could see his leg blocked the shot and it fired up and hit his hand.  It was outstretched but it did fire off his own leg. A grey area I think.

This is why I mentioned earlier you see them not given. Without doubt where the defenders arm.is, he's making his frame bigger, his arm looks to be there to block the ball and the fact it took a defection I don't think the rules are dead clear on. I see both side of it, which is why it didn't surprise me VAR didn't over turn it, but equally had Oliver not given it, I still don't think VAR would have overturned it. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

They’re all getting ideas above their station again, do they ever learn..................

miami

Player Valuation: £500k
if you don't think big, you won't get big. City and RS can't keep their levels of the last 2 seasons going forever. Law of averages tells you that. Leicester won it a few years ago. Tells you football isn't an exact science or predictable in any shape or form. Athletico beat Barca and real Madrid to the la liga title a few years ago. Who'd have thought that would've happened. 

With the right players, right manager, right mentality and a good bit of confidence and belief, anything is possible

Death

Death

Player Valuation: £70m
Why f’ing not. Wish that was the RS today. Can’t wait to get into them.

Yes, they're very similar to "Athletico" (sic), who've won two league titles and three UEFA cups since Everton last won a trophy...

Edit: Guess who Real Madrid's manager was when Atletico won their last league title?

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Its got to work for them at some point. They literally could not dream of getting a better manager than Ancelloti.

Agree, he's the reason they have signed some half decent players at long last. Played well yesterday and outplayed the Spuds for three quarters of the game. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Its got to work for them at some point. They literally could not dream of getting a better manager than Ancelloti.

What does "work" mean, though? Top six? Top four? Title contention? Title?

I think Carlo said top four. Fair enough. But I don't think Everton fans could even swallow that for long if we were finishing above them...