You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

52 minutes ago, Ron B said:

Which underlines the eternal peril of relegation for them. Which, if The Gaul is right, they will now be petrified of for the 40 seasons they’ll be paying this off - Everton usually look better than the three teams who go down, but they’ve come close enough far too often.

Sunderland and Leeds both managed to go into meltdown without the hindrance of massively expensive white elephant stadium which they couldn’t fill. 

This season coming i reckon is massive for them. And not about if they can get in the top 6, as even with ancelotti they almost certainly can't. But the words of Coleman towards the end of the season suggest something is really bad in the dressing room and it's not one or two bad eggs, it's a culture there. Forgetting our rivalry for a moment I think it's fascinating if ancelotti can turn it around. It's a challenge he's never had before and perhaps he's only there for the money and doesn't care. However, being a top professional he is also pretty likely to really love the idea of fixing them and almost making his CV look better for the journey at the end of it. 

Agree with that. Maybe Ancelotti can pull them together but I think there is something rotten at the heart of the club and it begins and ends with the way they obsessively judge themselves against us. It's not just the fans as players, ex-players, previous managers, owners, administrators are all at it. It's something Ancelotti needs to change if they are going to be meaningful again. 

• Upvote 1

Spot on aws. Every conversation with an Everton fan will come back to a snide dig at us. I honestly reckon they would enjoy being Everton fans more if they got relegated and batted around the lower leagues with the odd Johnson Paint Trophy or Cup run to cheer. Imagine your benchmark at the start of every season going from "Finish above the Red shite" then by October "Finish 6th hope they don't get out the group stages" then by February "Top 10 is the minimum acceptable and hope they don't win fuck all come May" 

It's unhealthy for a lot of them. Imagine spending your whole life consumed by a club you don't support. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Spot on aws. Every conversation with an Everton fan will come back to a snide dig at us. I honestly reckon they would enjoy being Everton fans more if they got relegated and batted around the lower leagues with the odd Johnson Paint Trophy or Cup run to cheer. Imagine your benchmark at the start of every season going from "Finish above the Red shite" then by October "Finish 6th hope they don't get out the group stages" then by February "Top 10 is the minimum acceptable and hope they don't win fuck all come May" 

It's unhealthy for a lot of them. Imagine spending your whole life consumed by a club you don't support. 

Wonderful isnt it? 

• Upvote 6

34 minutes ago, aws said:

Agree with that. Maybe Ancelotti can pull them together but I think there is something rotten at the heart of the club and it begins and ends with the way they obsessively judge themselves against us. It's not just the fans as players, ex-players, previous managers, owners, administrators are all at it. It's something Ancelotti needs to change if they are going to be meaningful again. 

Agreed - obsession with us drives unrealistic ambitions to catch up and overtake us very quickly. If you can’t do that in one season, then off you go. Then it’s wash, rinse and repeat ad nauseoum and ad infinitim. That will never, ever change.

On 30/07/2020 at 12:32, Stickman said:

Oh yea of little faith ....

Now I know next to fuck all about the building trade but I wouldn’t have thought a Saturday is a day you start work on a major building project 

@TheGwladysSt

Glenigan has confirmed that work is set to begin on Bramley-Moore Dock this Saturday.
Start date 1/8/2020

End date. 1/8/2023

contract period 36 months 

EeIQsREWsAI-8iK?format=jpg&name=large

"Scheme comprises application for full planning permission..."

That suggests to me that the work that was due to start on Saturday is finalising the planning submission.   Any moving of cones or planting of spades is contingent on that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

"Scheme comprises application for full planning permission..."

That suggests to me that the work that was due to start on Saturday is finalising the planning submission.   Any moving of cones or planting of spades is contingent on that.

So... the “work” that starts on Saturday is paperwork? Desperate. 

3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

This season coming i reckon is massive for them. And not about if they can get in the top 6, as even with ancelotti they almost certainly can't. But the words of Coleman towards the end of the season suggest something is really bad in the dressing room and it's not one or two bad eggs, it's a culture there. Forgetting our rivalry for a moment I think it's fascinating if ancelotti can turn it around. It's a challenge he's never had before and perhaps he's only there for the money and doesn't care. However, being a top professional he is also pretty likely to really love the idea of fixing them and almost making his CV look better for the journey at the end of it. 

It’s also a no-lose for him. Money aside, his record won’t be judged based on what he does at Everton - whether it’s a wild triumph or a horrible disaster (I’m assuming that ‘Wild triumph’ won’t involve winning league or European titles here, an assumption I hope you will all forgive). 
Only Bob and Zidane can match his three European Cups; he’s won the league in England, Germany, Italy and France; he led Real and Milan to become World Champions; and evening as a player he won Serie A three times plus the European Cup twice. 
So even though he’s a consummate pro, this isn’t the job that will define him. Worst case scenario it’ll be like Cruyff’s final season at Barcelona, or Del Bosque’s last couple of years with Spain - a postscript to an absolutely sensational management career. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

Agree with this. Ancelotti has to change the shite's mindset of always using Liverpool as their excuse for failure. Much like Jurgen's turning doubters into believers, if you will.

Will be interesting to see if Carlo has the wherewithall to carry it off.

Ancelotti will always be judged and revered for what he has done in his long and distinguished history, not by what he couldn't do, in the twilight of his career. His successes, both domestic and European will preserve his legacy, and the tiny blip on the radar, or Everton, if you prefer to call them by their chosen name, will be shrugged off and forgotten as inconsequential. Fitting, really.

That BBC article is damning and unforgiving at every turn. Great read, indeed.

5 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Sky were paying £11m per match on their previous contract, though that’s come down a bit on the latest contract. Good luck to the PL getting that sort of money if they were to sell games directly, as that Sky contract included matches such as Newcastle v Palace and Bournemouth v West Ham. I think the days of the PL rinsing Sky for tv money are over, they’ll probably get a new deal on similar terms when the next contract comes up for tender. The growth will continue to be in the overseas rights, but even they will be impacted if we can’t get full houses in the stadiums soon.

There'll become season ticket of some kind. Or they'll strike deals with a global streamer line Amazon and fuck off domestic and world rights through that type of platform. The key here is sky have no platform anyone is arsed about if they lose the PL. The PL football rights and the reason for sky's existence, without it it'll be worthless, as sky have just found out when people started cancelling during the pandemic. 

3 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

Yeah, a point I found most interesting was this "Who will take Sigurdsson, Fabian Delph, Cenk Tosun, Theo Walcott and even Alex Iwobi, signed for an eye-watering £34m from Arsenal on deadline day last summer?" . They have an entire squad of shit players, so are these the bad apples Coleman was referencing previously? 3 or 4 of them would start most games, so it's fine you say you want rid of them, but how are they replacing them and want do they do if they can't get rid and the poison stays in the dressing room? 

1 hour ago, Ron B said:

It’s also a no-lose for him. Money aside, his record won’t be judged based on what he does at Everton - whether it’s a wild triumph or a horrible disaster (I’m assuming that ‘Wild triumph’ won’t involve winning league or European titles here, an assumption I hope you will all forgive). 
Only Bob and Zidane can match his three European Cups; he’s won the league in England, Germany, Italy and France; he led Real and Milan to become World Champions; and evening as a player he won Serie A three times plus the European Cup twice. 
So even though he’s a consummate pro, this isn’t the job that will define him. Worst case scenario it’ll be like Cruyff’s final season at Barcelona, or Del Bosque’s last couple of years with Spain - a postscript to an absolutely sensational management career. 

Absolutely. I am not saying this will define him. But his professionalism throughout his career would lead you to think there must be something in it for him other than money. I am not saying money would not be his driving motivation to take the job, just once he gets there, what's he to lose by trying to do it well? But he has the type of job on his hands he's never done before and that might be just why he's there. But back to my post earlier, it's why I think it's fascinating what'll happen there this year. And as much as I like ancelotti, I'm rooting for the tosuns of this world to win the day! 

8 hours ago, The Gaul said:

As I posted on the previous page, I genuinely believe this could be a blessing for them. I think when we start coming out of this crisis, there will be a lot of support for all manner of infrastructure projects and I genuinely believe there will be a drive to getting people back to working in offices because of the support it brings to the hospitality industry. If there is ambition at Everton , Peel and LCC I reckon there's every chance it could genuinely be a kick starter for that whole Liverpool waters area. While I'd laugh my tits off if Everton went down, I honestly don't mind if they get to build this stadium and I would be positive about it if I thought it would be genuinely helpful to the city. 

Having said all that, I still doubt the ambition of LCC and Peel and the intentions of moshiri, so there is a long way to go on this imo and if I was gambling, my money would still be where it was before the pandemic and on them not doing it. But I do think the environment to do it is better now than before. 

We bought a new house down there 20 years ago and Peel were promising a mini city build back then. Heard the new apartments in the old tobacco warehouse aren’t selling nor getting the expected interest so can’t see them pumping money in while people are losing their jobs to build apartment blocks next to a footy ground that’s only going there to block the view of the sewage farm. 

Who wants to spend big money on a flat only to have 50,000 people pissing in your doorway every other week. There’ll be chaos down there trying to get in and out on a match day. 

Once the commonwealth games were lost they should have binned it and went to Gillmoss. However, they’ve backed themselves into a corner now and will probably build it and fuck themselves up for generations. 

HAHAHA! Looks like a few random things cobbled together and displayed at a car boot sale.

'Who would take Alex Iwobi, signed for an eye-watering £34M on transfer deadline day?'

What self respecting club would not want the opportunity to sign a transfer-window-winning player? They should be queueing up for the sheer privilege of it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Red74 said:

We bought a new house down there 20 years ago and Peel were promising a mini city build back then. Heard the new apartments in the old tobacco warehouse aren’t selling nor getting the expected interest so can’t see them pumping money in while people are losing their jobs to build apartment blocks next to a footy ground that’s only going there to block the view of the sewage farm. 

Who wants to spend big money on a flat only to have 50,000 people pissing in your doorway every other week. There’ll be chaos down there trying to get in and out on a match day. 

Once the commonwealth games were lost they should have binned it and went to Gillmoss. However, they’ve backed themselves into a corner now and will probably build it and fuck themselves up for generations. 

Peel have talked for many years of building a "mini canary wharf" down there. It's something like that the city needs, because it will bring high value jobs. All chippy tits is arsed about are city centre hospitality jobs for the tourist industry. We've got to be more ambitious than that. There will be incentives for people to embark on these types of projects throughout the country, if we don't do it, someone else will. Housing in that area for me should just be a by-product of investment that brings jobs, that makes the housing both stable in value and sustainable for a long period. 

This shit house of a goverment are also committed to bring some of those London jobs to the regions, they won't care who gets the jobs as long as their donors and mates get paid. The ambition for Liverpool waters needs to match that of Liverpool One and it would bring better income jobs. 

14 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Peel have talked for many years...

Well, there's your problem!

In fairness to Peel, they have also  produced some lovely Artist's Impressions of Liverpool Waters and Wirral Waters over the last 25 years or so.

They are the perfect people to work with Everton on this "stadium".

15 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Well, there's your problem!

In fairness to Peel, they have also  produced some lovely Artist's Impressions of Liverpool Waters and Wirral Waters over the last 25 years or so.

They are the perfect people to work with Everton on this "stadium".

You're dead right. Lots of people do drawings with no intention of going further. But this is my point to be honest. I assume peel are sitting on this land with a view of doing something with it at some point. It just needs the economic conditions to be right and perhaps a visionary mayor running the city. The likely aid around the corner for infrastructure projects could make the economic conditions right. As for chippy tits.........

Peel release drawings every couple of years. First ones looked like Chicago in IRobot with skyscrapers everywhere. Then they slowly get watered down to look like Cheshire Oaks. 

They started putting these drawings out in 2005 yet absolutely nothing has been done apart from 2 mid rise buildings in Princes Dock. 

• Upvote 2

Its yet to to be seen how the world pans out after the pandemic.If companies realise people can work from home then the need for expensive office space will be reduced. There is already lots of empty office space and apartments in Liverpool City Centre, so cant see there being a huge demand for more 2 miles down the road in the next 10 years or more. As has been mentioned Liverpool has gone down the tourist route, whereas up the M62 they have gone for jobs and stability, like Salford Quays and Media City, which has brought tens of thousands of good jobs to the area. We've missed the boat again on that score.

The unicorn stadium and the sewerage plant are going to be on their own for a good while yet. A match made for each other.