You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

2 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Just had a look in GOT for the 1sr time in weeks, and they’re going on about us losing 9m a week. Where does this figure come from? Is it out there or is it something else they’re making up? I’ve not seen it anywhere

Catcherintherye posted this and the team mentioned in the article is us, we are financially fucked......

catcherintherye

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £70m
I don't know if anyone has seen this article;

www.dailymail.co.uk

Coronavirus causing one Premier League club 'to lose £9m-a-week'

Top-flight clubs are facing huge losses as they are still having to pay out their biggest costs, such as wages, without receiving any income. One Premier League club is reportedly losing '£9m a week'.
www.dailymail.co.uk www.dailymail.co.uk

Essentially stating one club is losing 9m per week (around £470 per year, or 540 euro's a year). Comment one from a Kopite is it must be us who rent the training ground from the council (we don't). They talk about us in a manner that is 20 years out of date and it's quite sweet.

Anyway my initial thoughts on reading this were that it will be bad for everyone, as if 1 team is losing that level of money they are all probably losing a lot. I thought 5 teams would have that sort of turnover. On further inspection only 3 teams make upwards of 9 million a year or anything close (Spurs will be now much lower this season without a CL run) Chelsea may be a 4th.

We don't make anything close to £9m a week, so it's funny how some suggested it was us. 3 teams do. Manchester United, Liverpool and City. They are the only 3 teams it could feasible be.

To narrow it down further you would surely ask, which club has acted in a pretty panicked way early into this crisis, maybe trying to get the government to pay their staffs costs? 1 team in the top 5 (Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City & Liverpool) turnover wise have chosen to furlough staff.

I saw it initially in the Daily Star, but it apparently broke in the Mirror which have good sources at Liverpool. Manchester United have recently had an article in the Times saying they are fine financially and will spend big (which I think is probably untrue but hard to imagine the are briefing in such a way). Maybe Manchester City are losing £9 million per week and want to report it? Possibly.

The likeliest contender (by some distance) though would seem to be Liverpool. If it is them it's absolutely disastrous news. It would imply they are losing almost all of the sponsorship moneys for the duration of this crisis. It would suggest the contracts have enormous loopholes if they are already being enacted this early into the crisis. I would also deduce, it's highly unlikely that if football goes back behind closed doors, those sponsorships would go back to anything near full value either. Some may just terminate, others may well settle at 50%-60% of the initial value.

They are still paying back for that eyesore of a stand aren't they as well?

Thats really serious though. For whoever it is. Best case scenario is we start against part way through June meaning just over 3 months of this level of money lost. Well over £100m lost and probably pushing £150m. If we have to wait until August and the system is voided you could be pushing that number north of £200million.

The £100m loan makes sense with this too. Spiralling wage costs and overall costs probably running at about 80% of turnover means you would need £100m loan to cover the costs from 120m lost. 

For whoever that club is though, even in the best case scenario it is a disaster. Any emergency loan, at this stage is going to be well above what the standard rate would be. (Banks are having to prioritise loans to business, so what liquidity they have is not going to football clubs). To enter a negotiation now, you may be looking at 15% to get them to arrange a short term agreement, maybe even north of that. Thats £15-£20 in interest you are paying back each year.

For whoever that club is, best case scenario is they get the loan, the fees aren't too crazy and neither is the interest (working to the above numbers) and it's belt tightening exercise. Worst case scenario they have to start panic selling to cover the money back, either as collateral, or because their owners can't have that much debt being piled on the hundreds of millions outstanding. 

Buckle yourselves in lads, I strongly suspect they are going to start trying to push Mane out in desperation for some cash (if it's them). They hawked him around last summer of £150m and nobody even consider it. Real Madrid wouldn't pay half that. They are in serious financial trouble now as well. I think a day of reckoning is coming.

"Buckle yourselves in lads, I strongly suspect they are going to start trying to push Mane out in desperation for some cash (if it's them). They hawked him around last summer of £150m and nobody even consider it. Real Madrid wouldn't pay half that. They are in serious financial trouble now as well. I think a day of reckoning is coming."

giphy.gif

Everton:

Made significant losses the last 2 years;

Have no real international fan base as they want to be the local club for local people;

Have a shit ground that makes £65m less than Anfield through matchday income;

Have shite sponsorship and kit deals, so much so they went begging back to Umbro after thinking they would get a better deal elsewhere;

Haven't had any European football for 4/5 years, even when they were in the Europa League they earned fuck all;

Have 78 per cent of their revenue swallowed up by wages;

Earn significantly less through tv revenue;

Have a shit squad with very little resale value who wont want to move elsewhere on lower contracts;

Have taken 4 years to start a new stadium, wanted a low interest loan off the council. With no definite or rough starting date;

Never paid back £700k of taxpayers money for feasibility studies for their alleged new stadium;

Paid an American architect a fortune for a couple of drawings of a new stadium.

But they are worried about us.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Catcherintherye posted this and the team mentioned in the article is us, we are financially fucked......

catcherintherye

catcherintherye

www.dailymail.co.uk

Top-flight clubs are facing huge losses as they are still having to pay out their biggest costs, such as wages, without receiving any income. One Premier League club is reportedly losing '£9m a week'.

Essentially stating one club is losing 9m per week (around £470 per year, or 540 euro's a year). Comment one from a Kopite is it must be us who rent the training ground from the council (we don't). They talk about us in a manner that is 20 years out of date and it's quite sweet.

Anyway my initial thoughts on reading this were that it will be bad for everyone, as if 1 team is losing that level of money they are all probably losing a lot. I thought 5 teams would have that sort of turnover. On further inspection only 3 teams make upwards of 9 million a year or anything close (Spurs will be now much lower this season without a CL run) Chelsea may be a 4th.

We don't make anything close to £9m a week, so it's funny how some suggested it was us. 3 teams do. Manchester United, Liverpool and City. They are the only 3 teams it could feasible be.

To narrow it down further you would surely ask, which club has acted in a pretty panicked way early into this crisis, maybe trying to get the government to pay their staffs costs? 1 team in the top 5 (Chelsea, Arsenal, United, City & Liverpool) turnover wise have chosen to furlough staff.

I saw it initially in the Daily Star, but it apparently broke in the Mirror which have good sources at Liverpool. Manchester United have recently had an article in the Times saying they are fine financially and will spend big (which I think is probably untrue but hard to imagine the are briefing in such a way). Maybe Manchester City are losing £9 million per week and want to report it? Possibly.

The likeliest contender (by some distance) though would seem to be Liverpool. If it is them it's absolutely disastrous news. It would imply they are losing almost all of the sponsorship moneys for the duration of this crisis. It would suggest the contracts have enormous loopholes if they are already being enacted this early into the crisis. I would also deduce, it's highly unlikely that if football goes back behind closed doors, those sponsorships would go back to anything near full value either. Some may just terminate, others may well settle at 50%-60% of the initial value.

Thats really serious though. For whoever it is. Best case scenario is we start against part way through June meaning just over 3 months of this level of money lost. Well over £100m lost and probably pushing £150m. If we have to wait until August and the system is voided you could be pushing that number north of £200million.

The £100m loan makes sense with this too. Spiralling wage costs and overall costs probably running at about 80% of turnover means you would need £100m loan to cover the costs from 120m lost. 

For whoever that club is though, even in the best case scenario it is a disaster. Any emergency loan, at this stage is going to be well above what the standard rate would be. (Banks are having to prioritise loans to business, so what liquidity they have is not going to football clubs). To enter a negotiation now, you may be looking at 15% to get them to arrange a short term agreement, maybe even north of that. Thats £15-£20 in interest you are paying back each year.

For whoever that club is, best case scenario is they get the loan, the fees aren't too crazy and neither is the interest (working to the above numbers) and it's belt tightening exercise. Worst case scenario they have to start panic selling to cover the money back, either as collateral, or because their owners can't have that much debt being piled on the hundreds of millions outstanding. 

Buckle yourselves in lads, I strongly suspect they are going to start trying to push Mane out in desperation for some cash (if it's them). They hawked him around last summer of £150m and nobody even consider it. Real Madrid wouldn't pay half that. They are in serious financial trouble now as well. I think a day of reckoning is coming.

I think the need to look in the mirror at themselves. Spending over 100% of your own revenue leaves you in a much more perilous position than others.

That Catcher in the Rye is a professional bitter twat. 

catcherintherye

catcherintherye

Whatever happens you know they will come out smelling like Roses. I can’t imagine that they’d have embarked on a year of transfers like they did last year where they spent more than anyone in the history of football did in one year if they had financial difficulties under the surface. They have huge income streams from all sorts of places. I’d be more worried about us as our wages to turnover ratio is abnormally high and most of our players have no market value and are on long contracts. The saving grace for us might be that the contracts from Koeman’s first season (e.g Schneiderlin, Bolaise) will be coming to an end soon and also any contracts which were less than 5 years from our awful 17/18 window.
I don't share this fatalism mate. Look there's no doubt some biases exist and certainly the campaign against H & G helped in allowing a court to allocate their debt to them (though FSG will be very unlikely to make that mistake again). They have been very good at cultivating this myth they are unstoppable. They're not. They have a lot of voices in the media, but if financially difficulties are hit, favourably media treatment will mean very little.

They didn't actually sign anyone last summer. I have done a bit on the Coutinho transfer (essentially the reported figure of £100 from Barca is the more likely one) and they sold it on to a debt company who would probably give them circa75-80p in the pound for an upfront payment. With that £75-£80m they probably put a down payment on the splurge of signings they've made. Two great runs to European finals, and record commercial deals have helped, but they are absolutely at the limits and wanted to sell Mane last year but couldn't. No transfer were bought in.

The eejits who support them seemed to think they were signing Mbappe too this summer. I have consistently said, it won't happen. It will not happen. If pressure starts to be placed upon them, there's no vine right to come up smelling of roses. Far bigger companies, with bigger brands and better connections than them will go bust in this recession. The idea Liverpool fall down a league table a few places is very plausible. I mean Arsenal, multiple title winners have done exactly that under American ownership.

As for us, yes in a conventional sense we are in terrible shape financially. About all you could say, is we are not exposed with commercial deals as we never had many to begin with. I work from the assumption that we have a billionaire owner who has shown time and again he is happy to help us out of a difficult situation. I wouldn't run the business the way he does, but I think he's quite comfortable knowing he has to bail us out. I suspect a mixture of long term thinking, bad decisions and ultimately enjoyment mean he's quite happy to keep doing it.

The other point you make is a good one. Our priorities won't have changed this window. We are still trying to offload deadwood. We are still trying to buy players who are younger for good value. That will have got easier. As for the dead wood, they are still almost impossible to shift. Maybe just maybe there may come a resolution from this, that contracts can be cancelled unless people don't accept a 30%. Something like that would be perfect. Essentially an agreement where all contracts are reduced 30% and players have the right to break them if they wish. We can just clear a load off. That's me being optimistic though!

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Everton:

Made significant losses the last 2 years;

Have no real international fan base as they want to be the local club for local people;

Have a shit ground that makes £65m less than Anfield through matchday income;

Have shite sponsorship and kit deals, so much so they went begging back to Umbro after thinking they would get a better deal elsewhere;

Haven't had any European football for 4/5 years, even when they were in the Europa League they earned fuck all;

Have 78 per cent of their revenue swallowed up by wages;

Earn significantly less through tv revenue;

Have a shit squad with very little resale value who wont want to move elsewhere on lower contracts;

Have taken 4 years to start a new stadium, wanted a low interest loan off the council. With no definite or rough starting date;

Never paid back £700k of taxpayers money for feasibility studies for their alleged new stadium;

Paid an American architect a fortune for a couple of drawings of a new stadium.

But they are worried about us.

Yeah but Uncle Uzzy and all that 

6 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Where the fuck is this bullshit about us wanting to offload Mane I assume its just more GOT lies. 

Yeah clearly. We'd just won the european cup and had out sights firmly set on the league. Why would we have tried to sell our best attacking player from last season? Rats. And they all believe it as well. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

I have never thought or discussed the shite as much as that prick does about us. Why would you be arsed trying to find details of our transfers etc?

They are fuckin mental.

Fucksake fella, have a wank.

He can only do that when he's watching clips of us conceding a goal. He'll be like Randy Marsh if he actually sees us lose.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I have done a bit on the Coutinho transfer (essentially the reported figure of £100 from Barca is the more likely one) and they sold it on to a debt company who would probably give them circa75-80p in the pound for an upfront payment. With that £75-£80m they probably put a down payment on the splurge of signings they've made. Two great runs to European finals, and record commercial deals have helped, but they are absolutely at the limits and wanted to sell Mane last year but couldn't. No transfer were bought in.

The eejits who support them

How the fuck would he know if we sold the coutinho cash onto a debt company? Then he has the comedy value to start the next paragraph like that. They're fucking priceless, even when there's no football, they're the funniest thing going. 

• Upvote 2

Gotta laugh at this graph on Catchers Twitter account. It’s a graph that shows the all time League table, updating after each year. Here’s his takeouts

Thread

See new Tweets

Conversation

Fascinating graph this one. In essence an all time league table. Some take outs.
Quote Tweet

NqA3Fe7q_normal.jpg

SPORTbible

@sportbible
· Jan 3
This graph shows the all-time top flight table for English football...

blgicggI_reasonably_small.jpg

Replying to
Everton finish the 19th century in 2nd, and the 20th century in first place. In essence the champions of the 20th century.

2) Everton have never slipped lower than 3rd in the all time table. By contrast Liverpool only managed to achieve this 1975, 97 years after Everton were formed.

3) Everton were the top team from 1967 until 2006. A period of 39 years. Only Aston Villa have reigned for longer.

4) It took Liverpool 128 year to eventually catch Everton. They have still never managed to be above Everton with Everton outside of he top 3. Everton first managed this feat in 1891.

It took Liverpool until 1911 (some 33 years after Everton were formed) to even make it into the top 10). They managed to overtake the might Notts County to do so. At that time Everton were 2nd (a position Liverpool would only achieve a mere 68 years later).

6) Other odd quirks, it took Manchester United until the mid 1980's to overtake their city rivals (which remains unusual, but they did at least do so decades before Liverpool managed it).

3 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

catcherintherye

catcherintherye

www.dailymail.co.uk

Can anyone think of a bank we might have a couple of contacts in?

• Upvote 1