You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Get up in the morning hating the Redshite,

So I take my meds right,

Poor me, Evertonians.

So I take my meds right,

Poor me, Evertonians.

My wife and my kids, pack up and leave me,

Darling she said, you need to screened,

Poor me, Evertonians.

Blue shirt I tear up, and me shorts gone,

Don’t wanna end up like Mane and Clyne,

Poor me, Evertonians.

After a storm there must be a calm,

Not that song again now,

I’ll do myself harm,

Poor me, Evertonian.

• Upvote 1

They may have won a European Cup in 86. However, we would have beaten Juve in 85 if Heysel hadn't have happened, so we would have been there also imo. There was little between us back then, but we won the double in 86'. Our considerable european experience would have stood to us, if we met in a ec semi or a final in my opinion.

They had a fine team. However, sheedy who was their second best player was deemed not good enough for us by Bob. That sums it up for me. Sheedy was excellent, Whelan was better. 

It's a travesty that great players like Rush, lawro, Nicol and Whelan didn't win more than one european cup. It's an even bigger one that Barnesy and the rest of our late 80s team didn't get the chance to even compete. 

14 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

They may have won a European Cup in 86. However, we would have beaten Juve in 85 if Heysel hadn't have happened, so we would have been there also imo. There was little between us back then, but we won the double in 86'. Our considerable european experience would have stood to us, if we met in a ec semi or a final in my opinion.

They had a fine team. However, sheedy who was their second best player was deemed not good enough for us by Bob. That sums it up for me. Sheedy was excellent, Whelan was better. 

It's a travesty that great players like Rush, lawro, Nicol and Whelan didn't win more than one european cup. It's an even bigger one that Barnesy and the rest of our late 80s team didn't get the chance to even compete. 

Imagine a final between us and Milan in 1988.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Would have been tricky since they didn't qualify for it until after winning Serie A in 1988.

Our 1987/88 side was stronger than the one in 1988/89, although that one was also hampered by a hectic schedule following Hillsborough. They were running on fumes by the time the Arsenal game came round.

6 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

So I take my meds right,

Poor me, Evertonians.

So I take my meds right,

Poor me, Evertonians.

My wife and my kids, pack up and leave me,

Darling she said, you need to screened,

Poor me, Evertonians.

Blue shirt I tear up, and me shorts gone,

Don’t wanna end up like Mane and Clyne,

Poor me, Evertonians.

After a storm there must be a calm,

Not that song again now,

I’ll do myself harm,

Poor me, Evertonian.

Nil Vitalite Nisi Maxell.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Yeah our 1988 team against their team around 89/90 would have been a dream final. The two teams would have crossed paths.

Still think our team around 1984 was our best just ahead of our team in the late 70s. The reason I would have the 1988 team in third is that they never got a chance to win the European Cup. Really harsh because I think that team would have won a European Cup. It still had a number of the 1984 team with players like McMahon, Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton as well. Aldo was brilliant in Spain so he would have had no issues with getting goals during a european campaign.

If I took my Liverpool glasses off, the AC team of the late 80s and early 90s were arguably the best I have seen.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah our 1988 team against their team around 89/90 would have been a dream final. The two teams would have crossed paths.

Still think our team around 1984 was our best just ahead of our team in the late 70s. The reason I would have the 1988 team in third is that they never got a chance to win the European Cup. Really harsh because I think that team would have won a European Cup. It still had a number of the 1984 team with players like McMahon, Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton as well. Aldo was brilliant in Spain so he would have had no issues with getting goals during a european campaign.

If I took my Liverpool glasses off, the AC team of the late 80s and early 90s were arguably the best I have seen.

In my opinion our team of that era was equally as good if not better, our mid to late 70’s was better. All opinions, I remember a lot of pundits saying our late 80s would have won the European Cup. I agree.

52 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Would have been tricky since they didn't qualify for it until after winning Serie A in 1988.

Our 1987/88 side was stronger than the one in 1988/89, although that one was also hampered by a hectic schedule following Hillsborough. They were running on fumes by the time the Arsenal game came round.

Just checked, you are right. Probably wouldn't have any time or energy left to play in 1989. Their semi final V Real Madrid was about 3 or 4 days after the disaster.

36 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

In my opinion our team of that era was equally as good if not better, our mid to late 70’s was better. All opinions, I remember a lot of pundits saying our late 80s would have won the European Cup. I agree.

On that Monday Night football discussion, the late 70s team got named the greatest English side of all time. Between dominating the league and then winning the Uefa Cup and then two European Cups in succession, that team were bloody special. 

It's like comparing three really beautiful women all with intelligence and great personalities. 

13 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

On that Monday Night football discussion, the late 70s team got named the greatest English side of all time. Between dominating the league and then winning the Uefa Cup and then two European Cups in succession, that team were bloody special. 

It's like comparing three really beautiful women all with intelligence and great personalities. 

You can't start making things up 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Shame us and that Milan team never met. Real shame.

• Like 1

One of his fondest footballing memories involves another team losing a title decider to another team

Disgruntledgoat

Disgruntledgoat

Player Valuation: £50m

Best non Evertom match ever?
I remember watching this at my nans house with her (red), my grandad (blue), my uncle (blue), my ma (red) and my dad and brother who have no horse in this race. 

I'd only started supporting Everton that season after my mother and grandmother's attempts to lure me into Big Red were thwarted by a scrote at Saint Helens baths breaking into our locker and stealing the silver RS away kit they bought me as a present. My grandad siezed his chance and replaced it with an Everton home kit the same afternoon and my uncle got me a Wire top too, sealing my fate. 

That game is one of my fondest footballing memories and my earliest experiences of the wonder of schadenfreud.

And this fella drove all the way from Widnes to Anfield to find out the score? Bullshit

At that time I was a teacher and used to do private tuition. On that night I was doing tuition in Widnes so I set the video to record it. I got home about 9pm but waited until the game had finished before I started watching it.

It was just after Hillsborough and because of crowd concerns the match was delayed 15 minutes or so. This meant that the tape ran out just before the second goal. Obviously, there was no internet in those days. Not sure about teletext. Anyway it was late so I couldn't really phone anyone to ask what happened so I got in my car and drove to The Pit. There was some scruff hanging around so I wound the window down and asked him what the score was.

He, in choice language, told me that they scored right at the end.

I said 'That's terrible' then drove off and launched into a bout of hysterical laughter.

Genuine mental case

Saint Domingo

Saint Domingo

Player Valuation: £70m
The league was a complete and utter farce this season anyway.

One team at the top on track for the all time points record not just going a whole season invincible but almost a whole season without dropping a single point. Then a team in second who despite being on of the best in Europe can only manage to gather points at less than two per game which would usually be enough for fourth.

Horrific refereeing decisions using VAR which showed up that what we hoped was incompetence was actually just blatant cheating as evidenced in the City Liverpool game where football really did die a death. Blatant handball and legitimate goal ruled out for City whilst Liverpool’s offside goal was allowed to stand. We saw it again at the derby when Calvert Lewin was clean through and suffered a last man foul and penalty. It didn’t even go to VAR whereas Mane falling over air most weeks was microscopically inspected frame by frame in the early part of the season to give them an unbelievable lead.

Cancelling this shambles of a season is a blessing to be honest because the premier league has just disgraced itself to most normal fans this season. We could just about buy it last year, when the refs decided to ignore offside rules for Liverpool in most games, but when faced with the truth that the same refs will now ignore video evidence and there’s nothing anyone can do about it then it’s a huge turn off for anyone who isn’t a member of the cult.

Start the season again, mic up referees like they do in rugby so fans can hear what’s being said between VAR and the ref on the pitch, force all teams to have big screens (funny how Anfield and Old Trafford refuse isn’t it), drug test every one of those doping cheats on a regular basis. Set up an independent body of International referees to focus on ‘unusual’ match activity such as keepers diving over balls or throwing them in their nets, or strikers from certain teams continuously missing open goals from a yard out against certain clubs, or referees blatantly ignoring VAR.

Then, if all of the above happens, we might actually have a chance of a league occurring of a level playing field which would be the envy of the world and would draw far bigger audiences than whatever the hell that ridiculous match fixed procession this season was.