You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

22 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

Thanks for the responses gents; it seems to have been a liverpool myth. There was a strong RC prod divide in the city before and immediately after the second war. Given that I think it’s natural that people identified the two clubs with thir religions. There was a guy on Radio 4 notlong ago  who recalled his time as a pupil at SFX in the 1950s who told how the priests in school told them to be good Catholics, vote Labour and support Everton. While never as bitter as in Glasgow there are enough stories to suggest there must have been some religious undercurrent in the early years of the 20th century.

In my year at school (St Eddies in West Derby) there were a whole lot more Blues than Reds and the Brothers had free season tickets for Goodison. This was in the 80s

My family have always been Reds and staunch Catholics from Scottie Rd then Norris Green and nobody has ever talked about Everton being the RC team... interesting 

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

In my year at school (St Eddies in West Derby) there were a whole lot more Blues than Reds and the Brothers had free season tickets for Goodison. This was in the 80s

My family have always been Reds and staunch Catholics from Scottie Rd then Norris Green and nobody has ever talked about Everton being the RC team... interesting 

Haha my bird went to St Eddies . You’re a lot older though. 

It’s a good job they hadn’t started getting excited and sounding off about “the window” to getting in the top 5 and next year’s Champions League immediately prior to today’s defeat.

Otherwise they might be open to accusation of never, ever learning.

• Upvote 6

On 21/02/2020 at 17:31, coachpotato said:

They were indeed, and while that was the case the rivalry was more friendly.

Went to Wembley twice with Blues in the car (7 seater) and although we beat them both times there wasn’t any bitterness and we had a great time there and back.

It still was the case, in my experience, up to and after Hillsborough, I don’t recall any nastiness following the ban after Heysel and I can’t really pin down when it got really poisonous.

A work colleague did say that after the Istanbul final, he’d hoped the plane would crash carrying the team on the way home, which was really a shock, as this lad was what I felt was an ok blue.

It got nasty when Moyes started playing to the gallery. The Cunt.

• Upvote 3

On 21/02/2020 at 20:35, Doctor Troy said:

Not saying it's ok but there's probably about 1000 people saying stuff on Twatter to him like this but this fella picks out one tweet that's got a Liverpool badge or player in the profile picture. 

Didnt Evertonians sing that they wanted Nick Barmby to die?. I'm sure if anyone could be arsed doing some research some Evertonians have said nasty things on the internet once. 

And when Prentice wrote about it in the Echo he said how funny it was that the Blueshite knew his address...

7 hours ago, redinblack62 said:

I actually think it was when they first flirted with relegation and Joe Royle came in. We'd stayed relevant under Roy Evans playing good footie and they'd become relegation fearing "dogs of war", which Royle later said he regretted saying. It was basically down to jealousy, the media attention we still got and Royle making little jibes like our fans were always "very vociferous" when we were winning things.

The resentment festered under Walter Smith and during the second failed return of Kendall, and of course we were to blame for everything. Any trophy we've picked up since 1995 has obviously just aggravated them even more.

On 24/02/2020 at 01:14, redinblack62 said:

Announcing them as 'The People's Club' and moaning about only being a little club, not much money tp spend etc really didn't help. Dragging up Heysel when they were in the CL qualifiers and his champagne cardigan stuff. Basically real shithouse bitter stuff that they lap up. 

I'm fucking made up he got to jump up and down last night winning the few moments before we stuck it to them and beat them. He's a loser, a serial loser and used the bitter stuff as a distraction, along with other pricks at that club. 

His utter humiliation as the mancs manager was lovely. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

Announcing them as 'The People's Club' and moaning about only being a little club, not much money tp spend etc really didn't help. Dragging up Heysel when they were in the CL qualifiers and his champagne cardigan stuff. Basically real shithouse bitter stuff that they lap up. 

I'm fucking made up he got to jump up and down last night winning the few moments before we stuck it to them and beat them. He's a loser, a serial loser and used the bitter stuff as a distraction, along with other pricks at that club. 

His interview after the game he was asked if it was harder to take or meant more or something because of his history with our 2 main rivals. He responded saying it made no difference because he was west ham manager "for now", which I thought was interesting. He clearly thinks he can climb up from here again. Nothing would be better for football than his and west hams relegation, with their free stadium.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philtrum said:

Domt forget the blood on the streets shite after we’d won the CL and we’re going to be allowed to defend it possibly at their expense, even though the FA website clearly laid out that’s what would happen in a potentially similar situation between Arsenal and the Mancs the season before.

• Upvote 1