You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

2 hours ago, scudger99 said:

People have always felt that way to a degree.  The Internet has just given them the platform to bleat their case in complete anonymity.

Yeah exactly.

Take this forum as an example. Loads of us, me included, go off and read bluemoon, red cafe and got. We laugh, get angry and polarize our opinions. We laugh at the size and rantings of other forum threads yet ours are exactly the same.

All forums and fan groups seem to be the same as far as I can see, but anger, jealousy and resentment seem to be snowballing.

Having said that, maybe I have just noticed it more this season with us being the best fucking team in the world. I have never enjoyed the fume as much as I have this season. The internet is assimilating me.

PS - Well done to speedo Mick. Having worked a 12 step programme myself, I can empathise with the hell he has been through. Well done that man.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Not saying it's ok but there's probably about 1000 people saying stuff on Twatter to him like this but this fella picks out one tweet that's got a Liverpool badge or player in the profile picture. 

Didnt Evertonians sing that they wanted Nick Barmby to die?. I'm sure if anyone could be arsed doing some research some Evertonians have said nasty things on the internet once. 

Yeah and it was at least 3000 of them at the derby at Anfield.

9 hours ago, M_B said:

Yeah exactly.

Take this forum as an example. Loads of us, me included, go off and read bluemoon, red cafe and got. We laugh, get angry and polarize our opinions. We laugh at the size and rantings of other forum threads yet ours are exactly the same.

All forums and fan groups seem to be the same as far as I can see, but anger, jealousy and resentment seem to be snowballing.

Having said that, maybe I have just noticed it more this season with us being the best fucking team in the world. I have never enjoyed the fume as much as I have this season. The internet is assimilating me.

PS - Well done to speedo Mick. Having worked a 12 step programme myself, I can empathise with the hell he has been through. Well done that man.

What we need is a deescalation of this animosity on both sides. Everton fans are like Liverpool fans, Liverpool fans are like Everton fans. 

If we see objectionable behaviour by an Everton fan then it is highly likely that the same behaviour would be seen by a Liverpool fan, if the shoe was on the other foot.

We are not special, they are not inferior. We just support a more successful club. That's it.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Ha, Speedo, on the The last Leg, live from Cornwall. 

Fuck sake, went to bed with him on TLL and just got up, put the news on BBC and he's on there, even the weather man jusy mentioned him!

Well in lad, but it does make you wonder if he was a red, how well he would be received by our blue brethren. 

When I was a boy I lived in the south end and Everton fans were rare; they came from the north end and through the tunnel, I had one mate who was a blue; the rest were red; even though we were in the second division then. I was told it was a religious thing; Everton was the Catholic club presumably because there were more Catholics in walton, scotland Road and Bootle. Are there other old timers on here who were told this by their parents?

When l moved to north wales in the late 70s; the deeside strip was full of Evertonians; the first Shankly 81 graffiti I ever saw was in Flint.  flint, shotton and Connahs Quay were all predominantly blue or ManU.  The school I taught in had few Liverpool supporting kids; Michael Owen, Ian Rush, Gary speed and Radcliffe were all blues when they played schoolboy football. 

I think the suggestion that Everton were the catholic club has been mentioned and discussed on here before. All I can say is that both sides of my family ( back to a great-grandmother born before we were formed ) were North-enders from Bootle/Kirkdale , bitter Catholic and were all reds to a man / woman. 

• Upvote 1

I was told was originally neither club were separated by religion, I mean St Domingos was Methodist.

Everton was adopted by some of the RC irish members post war, when they recruited some players from the Republic. I think some also thought that LFC founded by Holding who was a member of the Orange Lodge and 2+2 together...

Both clubs history were not separated by religion as far as I can find out, Holding was a businessman 1st - we all know the story of how LFC was founded and the Everton rent story that goes with it. Pretty sure Holding was involved in Everton renting Anfield to begin with. So you now have a club set up by Methodists, with a member of the Orange Lodge involved in their formative years, and yet still an RC club?

When you scrutinise the history it just doesnt hold up for me.

Add to this if you look at the ties between LFC and Celtic cosying up over the years, The Fields of Anfield Road is to the tune of The Fields of Anthery and second part of Poor Scouse Tommy is to the tune of The Sash - both republican and loyalist songs respectively. (Come to think of it last year pre match the singer they had in the Main stand concorse was actually singing Fields on Anthery). I doubt any of this would happen if there were any strong ties either way.

My personal experience of religion and support is kind of interesting as my nan was the first person in the area who had a dual faith funeral the service was both RC and C of E. Her family was split even between siblings, I went to both RC schools (near Scotland Road way) and C of E (Wallasey way), both schools had kids that supported both clubs with a slight bias towards Liverpool.

Additional: I have heared this Everton are RC nonsense from RC a few RC Evertonians before and had great fun telling them: "If they know their history they would know it was rubbish". I am not religious myself, however, I have took 2 RC priests to matches from my partners parish to welcome them - one to LFC vs Everton and one to LFC vs City. They both had a great time and were full on reds even before hand, even see them out and about with LFC baseball caps when they are in the civvies.

Edited: On PC now and being lysdexic I cant spell for shit.

• Upvote 3

I worked with a woman back when I lived in Liverpool who said that "my mother advised me to marry a good Blue and a good Catholic. Well, my husband is a good Catholic". The time Liverpool lost to Leverkusen, her husband's parting words as he left for work the following morning were "and you can stick your lift to work up your arse!"

• Upvote 2

I don't think it was ever like rangers and Celtic, but I think historically (before the war) Liverpool was a more protestant leaning club, because houlding was an Orangeman and when Everton went to goodison they tried to change everything about the club. I think once the 60s arrived, there had been another wave of immigration from ireland, coupled with the whole shankly, Mersey sound and everything else going on, well I just think that all went out of the window. Luckily the city has never felt the need to define their religion through football, so when people arrived new in the city, they just found a home they felt comfortable in rather than needing to follow some tribe based around the Bible, football could just be sport. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Not saying it's ok but there's probably about 1000 people saying stuff on Twatter to him like this but this fella picks out one tweet that's got a Liverpool badge or player in the profile picture. 

Didnt Evertonians sing that they wanted Nick Barmby to die?. I'm sure if anyone could be arsed doing some research some Evertonians have said nasty things on the internet once. 

And handed out leaflets saying "Kill Chelsea" , and chopped people up all around the ground but yeah "merrrrderers" 

Rat club 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the responses gents; it seems to have been a liverpool myth. There was a strong RC prod divide in the city before and immediately after the second war. Given that I think it’s natural that people identified the two clubs with thir religions. There was a guy on Radio 4 notlong ago  who recalled his time as a pupil at SFX in the 1950s who told how the priests in school told them to be good Catholics, vote Labour and support Everton. While never as bitter as in Glasgow there are enough stories to suggest there must have been some religious undercurrent in the early years of the 20th century.

8 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

Thanks for the responses gents; it seems to have been a liverpool myth. There was a strong RC prod divide in the city before and immediately after the second war. Given that I think it’s natural that people identified the two clubs with thir religions. There was a guy on Radio 4 notlong ago  who recalled his time as a pupil at SFX in the 1950s who told how the priests in school told them to be good Catholics, vote Labour and support Everton. While never as bitter as in Glasgow there are enough stories to suggest there must have been some religious undercurrent in the early years of the 20th century.

I read that Scally by Evertons biggest dickhead and he fucking hates Celtic. Everton had an NF contingent in the 80's/90's. They aren't short of Proddys.