You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

45 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

Everton are to bring their sponsorship deal with SportPesa to a premature end.

The Blues have taken the decision to terminate their deal with the betting company at the end of the season.

It is understood that SportPesa have also agreed to the parting of ways.

Everton had struck a club record five-year contract with SportPesa in May, 2017 but after performing a review of the deal the club have opted to cut the relationship short.

The Blues will now press ahead with looking for a new shirt sport ahead of next season and a club spokesperson said: "This has been a difficult decision but one that allows us to best deliver on our commercial plan and to grasp the new opportunities now open to us.

“The Club would like to thank SportPesa for all of the work that has been done together. Our partnership has seen our first team visit Africa on two occasions, as well as former players and Club staff take part in numerous activations in the region. This has allowed us to grow our own footprint in Africa and further strengthen our special relationship with the continent.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/everton-bring-sponsorship-deal-sportpesa-17759509

There's a lot of pressure for football clubs to get rid of gambling sponsors, glad to see them doing this even though it means they're now out of the SportPesa cup.

What are the odds on USM as their next sponsor?

Gazprom ?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Surely Everton are fucking sportspea off before they're forced to? I don't reckon it's to do with usmanov, although I wouldn't be shocked to see him form part of any new sponsorship. Surely though they'll be nervous about any of that type of deal after the whole city thing. 

The general vibe I got from a brief read of their thread on the City scandal from GoT is that they're cleverer than City so they wouldn't get caught. Their owner is an ex chartered accountant that worked at Deloitte who helped create FFP. Also that Uncle Uzzy will now remain in the background as he can filter in his dirty cash a lot easier that way. 

Now I'm not saying that their owner or Uncle Uzzy are involved in any illegal activities, but I am saying that a proportion of their fans are saying they would take this in order to win something. Maybe a red on a wind up but there are quotes that they would take the current ban city have if it also meant a few years at the top. I suppose when you have endured decades of self exclusion from Europe then what's another two years eh? I mean it's not like they go on about Europe or hold any grudges about it is it? 

How very sad and how very desperate. Their owner would I am sure prefer a legal and proper process to build their club and not some crazy free stadium, throw money and grab dodgy deals to try to achieve it and make a quick profit overnight. Well not after this recent scandal concerning City  and everton's failed free stadium and previous throw money at it attempt anyway. 

I had thought that their defeat at the hands of our kids had humbled them, brought them back down to earth with a bump. All it did was to make them ultra deluded and able to adjust their delusion in a matter of hours not days. Their whole plan all along (as fans) was to be City, get a lottery win owner with cash to burn and fuck FFP.. The current situation City now find themselves in show that even a lottery win owner for Everton in Uncle Uzzy won't cut it.  Sad times for Everton fans now that even that door has closed. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Peter Cormack said:

According to the Guardian the deal is worth 7M a year, no wonder Everton are binning it. Most championship clubs are getting more than that. Shows how much of a world famous club the BS is.

I doubt that, as £7m a year is still more than what at least half the teams in the Premier League get. Betting company sponsors are ten a penny in England these days, despite what appears to be an obvious conflict of interest. There's been talk recently that betting sponsorships will be outlawed in the way that alcohol and tobacco sponsorship was. The thing is, companies in other industries don't appear to see value in pursuing sponsorship deals. Either they've been offering less than the betting companies (who want the publicity), or they don't want to be so obviously associated with individual clubs.

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters launched a strong defence of the clubs' betting links on Tuesday, despite concerns that the strong association has led to a rise in problem gambling and addiction, particularly amongst children.

'We're not sniffy or judgemental about gambling at all,' Masters said. 'As you know, sport and gambling have a long association. 

'The Premier League doesn't have partnerships with gambling companies, we don't sell watching bet rights, but it's up to our clubs whether they want to have their own gambling relationships. All of them do, and a number of them are on the shirt front.

'I think this area does need stronger governance, particularly to protect the vulnerable, but I don't think the answer coming out at the end of it should be that football clubs shouldn't have shirt sponsorship from gambling companies any more. 

'Our clubs have always abided by rules and regulations in relation to it.'

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

I doubt that, as £7m a year is still more than what at least half the teams in the Premier League get. Betting company sponsors are ten a penny in England these days, despite what appears to be an obvious conflict of interest. There's been talk recently that betting sponsorships will be outlawed in the way that alcohol and tobacco sponsorship was. The thing is, companies in other industries don't appear to see value in pursuing sponsorship deals. Either they've been offering less than the betting companies (who want the publicity), or they don't want to be so obviously associated with individual clubs.

My mate has his own company in media and advertising. I was talking to him a while ago (back when we'd just signed up with WU). He was saying the big thing now with sponsorship is no longer really the exposure of the logo itself. It's the ability to use the brand through social media. So if your social media following is pretty crap globally, you can't get those mega deal sponsorship agreements and it's why our sleeve was with a similar amount to their main sponsor. Each slot the club sell, be that on the front of the shirt, sleeve, training kit, lounge at the ground, will come with a certain level of commitment to do mutual social media activity. Standard chartered for example will get much more than carlsberg. 

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Surely Everton are fucking sportspea off before they're forced to? I don't reckon it's to do with usmanov, although I wouldn't be shocked to see him form part of any new sponsorship. Surely though they'll be nervous about any of that type of deal after the whole city thing. 

They're such a badly-run club, I wouldn't put it past them.

As far as sponsorship values go, the Blueshite should be in the top 4, given their history. 

catcherintherye

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £70m
He can't sponsor us for whatever he wants it has to be a sensible amount, he'll never be allowed to sponsor the piss pots in lower bullens for 10 million a year. If the sky 6 start complaining about his sponsorship being over market value then we'll get investigated and likely punished.
How are you going to make a legal case for what is a fair market value, if he sponsors things where a market does not exist?

I'd also add, legally the club can make a very straightforward and easy argument that we are 4th most successful in terms of leagues won, joint 1st for the number of years we have held the top division title, most seasons, 2nd most points, the only club to be founder members of the FL and PL (while maintaining an ever present place) and have had the 2nd longest unbroken run in the top flight. Objectively, and from a legal standpoint it is a very clear argument that commercially we ought to be somewhere between 1st to 4th in terms of sponsorship values.

The club have radically underperformed to the market test over the last 20 years. This would be any legal conclusion drawn from Everton finally negotiating deals befitting of our status (Ie in or around the top 4 deals).

3 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

As far as sponsorship values go, the Blueshite should be in the top 4, given their history. 

catcherintherye

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £70m
He can't sponsor us for whatever he wants it has to be a sensible amount, he'll never be allowed to sponsor the piss pots in lower bullens for 10 million a year. If the sky 6 start complaining about his sponsorship being over market value then we'll get investigated and likely punished.
How are you going to make a legal case for what is a fair market value, if he sponsors things where a market does not exist?

I'd also add, legally the club can make a very straightforward and easy argument that we are 4th most successful in terms of leagues won, joint 1st for the number of years we have held the top division title, most seasons, 2nd most points, the only club to be founder members of the FL and PL (while maintaining an ever present place) and have had the 2nd longest unbroken run in the top flight. Objectively, and from a legal standpoint it is a very clear argument that commercially we ought to be somewhere between 1st to 4th in terms of sponsorship values.

The club have radically underperformed to the market test over the last 20 years. This would be any legal conclusion drawn from Everton finally negotiating deals befitting of our status (Ie in or around the top 4 deals).

If we're legally arguing about their 'status' then shouldn't they really be paying people to sponsor them?