You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Bribery and shit is just how they do business there isn't it? I'm not saying I'd like it to be like that here, I just think it's pretty normal for anybody successful in that part of the world has to grease palms along the way. I've not done business in Uzbekistan, but I've done a bit in Moscow and it's a fucking nightmare. 

You can’t do business in former Soviet countries without corruption. SSSR was deeply corrupted, and none of the countries have fought against it because the establishment is were it is thanks to corruption, and it’s almost something cultural. That’s one of the reason they have been  in deep shit for year. 

Ukraine is worse than Russia, and I’m sure Central Asia is worse than Ukraine. 

8 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

You can’t do business in former Soviet countries without corruption. SSSR was deeply corrupted, and none of the countries have fought against it because the establishment is were it is thanks to corruption, and it’s almost something cultural. That’s one of the reason they have been  in deep shit for year. 

Ukraine is worse than Russia, and I’m sure Central Asia is worse than Ukraine. 

Yeah, I can imagine that. I've found Russia impossible to do any sensible business in. Everything there costs twice as much and takes twice as long as it should because of everyone who needs paying off to get something done. 

49 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Like I said initially there was a reason they banned all English clubs. That aside I think banning all the other English clubs afterwards and for so long was wrong whether it was a final straw or not.

All English clubs didnt serve the full 4 years. UEFA re admitted English clubs after 3 years and we were made to serve a further year.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

The fallacy that everton and other fans like to believe is that English clubs caused no trouble at all in Europe and the banning of all English clubs was merely the result of that terrible night in Belgium.

But the truth is far removed from that. English clubs had a litany of trouble in Europe in and around grounds. united were the FIRST English team banned by Uefa after their fans rioted at a Cup Winners Cup 1st leg game in St Etienne in 1978. They appealled, were strangely supported in that appeal by St Etienne and re instated with the 2nd leg ordered to be played hundreds of miles from old trafford. The game was eventually played at Plymouth Argyle's ground which united won on aggregate.

Leeds fans had rioted earlier in 1975 during their Champions Cup Final when some would say dodgey reffing went against them. Everton are not blemish free either having seen their fans trash Vienna on their way to winning the Cup Winners Cup. I think Spurs fans had some dodgey encounters but cannot remember whether that was after being goaded by Dutch fans.

In any case, the terms of the UEFA ban spells out that while Liverpool and Heysel was the final straw, the litany of English troubles abroad resulted in a 5 year ban for Liverpool and 4 years for all other English clubs.

If we were the sole cause, UEFA would only have banned us. But they did not because other English clubs had troubles as well. As usual, the blue hordes and others ignore these clear and obvious facts saying we got everyone kicked out of Europe. No we didnt but we were the final straw for UEFA.

Good post. As an add on, there's a reason that hooliganism was known as "the English disease". As a club we had/have dickheads but were never known for hooliganism the way other clubs not only were, but took pride in that rep. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why the English disease though,  Italian fans were bad and still are to an extent.

Loads of trouble in the lower leagues in Germany, especially from the old Eastern teams like Dresden and Rostock. Not as bad now, but was violent as fuck a while back. Turkey and Greece are also renowned for causing shit in their appropriate leagues. I'll not even bother commentating on the Balkan countries. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why the English disease though,  Italian fans were bad and still are to an extent.

At the time, it was said while European countries had ultras and trouble at their domestic games, it was confined to their country. The ultras didnt go abroad with their clubs or national team and 'export' their violence like the English supposedly did. Of course that ignored the fact many English teams mainly drew support from Scotland, Ireland and Wales back then so wasnt an 'English disease' as claimed.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

At the time, it was said while European countries had ultras and trouble at their domestic games, it was confined to their country. The ultras didnt go abroad with their clubs or national team and 'export' their violence like the English supposedly did. Of course that ignored the fact many English teams mainly drew support from Scotland, Ireland and Wales back then so wasnt an 'English disease' as claimed.

English people abroad are generally obnoxious twats. Look at the videos of the england fans in Germany for the world cup. Loads of them singing 10 german bombers when most of them were 18-26 year old wankers trying to act hard in-front of a handful of older thugs thinking they are Danny Dyer after watching Football factory. Embarrassing pieces of shit. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

As East Enders used to say about the Krays " they were proper gentlemen guv.....only slashed their own....."

8 hours ago, Horus said:

Good post. As an add on, there's a reason that hooliganism was known as "the English disease". As a club we had/have dickheads but were never known for hooliganism the way other clubs not only were, but took pride in that rep. 

We even exported the word: several European languages use "hooligan".

Rule fucking Britannia!

The 1980 Euros saw Ingerlund fans running amok on the terraces as well.

Ingerlund fans in Switzerland in the early 80's as well fought pitched battles in the stands.

The hypocrisy of other clubs fans over Heysel is staggering and absolutely pathetic....it was a terrible disaster, awful - and the fact fans of other clubs use those deaths as a stick to beat us with is disgusting, peoples deaths should not be used in stupid petty point scoring....especially given what happened could easily have happened on any number of ocassions given the absolutely terrible behaviour of football fans in the 80's.

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

All English clubs didnt serve the full 4 years. UEFA re admitted English clubs after 3 years and we were made to serve a further year.

I think English clubs were banned for 5 years. The 1st season back was 90/91 and the Mancs won the CWC, beating  Barca in the final. Our first season back was the 91/92 season 10 years reduced down to 6.

8 hours ago, Razoray said:

I think English clubs were banned for 5 years. The 1st season back was 90/91 and the Mancs won the CWC, beating  Barca in the final. Our first season back was the 91/92 season 10 years reduced down to 6.

Did we get a 10 year ban? I always thought the English ban was indefinite and when they decided to readmit other English clubs, it was decided to just give us one.more additional year

• Upvote 1

Everton are to bring their sponsorship deal with SportPesa to a premature end.

The Blues have taken the decision to terminate their deal with the betting company at the end of the season.

It is understood that SportPesa have also agreed to the parting of ways.

Everton had struck a club record five-year contract with SportPesa in May, 2017 but after performing a review of the deal the club have opted to cut the relationship short.

The Blues will now press ahead with looking for a new shirt sport ahead of next season and a club spokesperson said: "This has been a difficult decision but one that allows us to best deliver on our commercial plan and to grasp the new opportunities now open to us.

“The Club would like to thank SportPesa for all of the work that has been done together. Our partnership has seen our first team visit Africa on two occasions, as well as former players and Club staff take part in numerous activations in the region. This has allowed us to grow our own footprint in Africa and further strengthen our special relationship with the continent.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/everton-bring-sponsorship-deal-sportpesa-17759509

There's a lot of pressure for football clubs to get rid of gambling sponsors, glad to see them doing this even though it means they're now out of the SportPesa cup.

What are the odds on USM as their next sponsor?

• Upvote 2