You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

19 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

That last article posted above is one of the biggest load of contradictory bollocks I have ever read in my entire life.  Absolutely blinkered, deluded bollocks.

He had a go at Tony Evans for his article on the Derby atmosphere and relationship between the clubs. 

Told him not to write about a club he doesnt understand. 

They really have a strange and unjustified opinion of their own importance. No one outside of the city and the small pockets of places where they have supporters care about them and they haven't been relevant since 1987. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

They only really started mentioning heysel when they became crap. Yeah i recall a few if only comments from blues in 87 which is understandable but the derby only changed for me in the 90s. The 86 and 89 cup finals were great days with no ill feeling.

Correct. The longer they went without being a competitive force the more obsessed they became with Heysel, to the point where the word Heysel is now almost as synonymous with Everton as it is the stadium disaster.

Linekar signed for them after Hysel happened. Just like Kendall, and the players that went to Rangers, I’d imagine a big bump in earnings was the primary reason for them leaving.

They have been badly run for years, probably since Sir John Moores passed away. If anything their 80’s team was an anomaly as they were terrible in the 70’s and they’ve been terrible since the 90’s.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

That is what makes that article so hypocritical. Liverpoolfc or the fans never took on board their part in Heysel or apologised to Everton.

Also, heysel wasn't a one off incident that Liverpool fans meticulously planned to attack Juventus supporters. It was the culmination of 15 years of bad behaviour at home and domestically. Man united have no reason to have a go at us as their fans were utter cunts for years. Also England fans smashing up Basel and Luxembourg.

Don't forget those holier than holy Bitters were just as bad ...seem to remember some nasty stuff from them on some ferries ..they may have had a nice day out in Firmless Vienna but they sure as fuck  gave as good as they got elsewhere in Europe

21 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Linekar signed for them after Hysel happened. Just like Kendall, and the players that went to Rangers, I’d imagine a big bump in earnings was the primary reason for them leaving.

They have been badly run for years, probably since Sir John Moores passed away. If anything their 80’s team was an anomaly as they were terrible in the 70’s and they’ve been terrible since the 90’s.

Lineker also signed for Spurs during the ban.

• Upvote 1

They terrorised a cross channel ferry fighting with West Ham and United fans (I think) (1986).

United fans caused a wall to collapse at Ayrsome Park on an exit gate and it killed two elderly people who were Boro season ticket holders  (12/1/80).
We’ll always have Heysel hanging over us because, regardless of how circumstances conspired to allow it to happen, it was us who were there and, had our fans not charged, there wouldn’t have been those deaths.

That’s the reality and it will never change.

You will never, ever, get some Evertonians to change their view that we cost them European domination that night, because it has become the crutch protecting them from the reality that they, and only they, have suffered for thirty five years and they are completely out of step with every other club that were directly affected by the ban after Heysel.

For them to accept Heysel didn’t have as much of an effect on their fortunes as they claim is asking them to admit they have been badly run and poorly managed with sub standard players since then, and that this is the real reason for their continued failure to become successful.

It won’t happen, and until something does happen to change their fortunes, Heysel will be the only thing they will be able to hang onto for “justification”.

We should just get on with it and carry on winning shit.

• Upvote 2

Never ever let Everton go on about football hooliganism. Loads of their lot were NF in the late 80's and early 90's. Fucking about with England away causing all sorts of shit. This is their best selling book:

9781903854259.jpg

Its all about fighting and slashing. It has a whole chapter dedicated to the County Road Cutters. Begging up things like the time they slashed up a young Utd fan called Jobe Henry. 

Every team has twats following them but they take the fucking piss if they want to label us as hooligans. Pretty sure Andy Nicholls says he was at Heysel himself (why was he there?) and he still manages to spit his vile and blame it all on Liverpool. 

• Upvote 1

Back then everyone had their share of scallies and shitheads.

We’d been in Europe for twenty or so years without any major violence attributed to us, we were more into robbing boutiques and sports shops.

Doesn’t excuse us from what happened of course.

After Heysel there was a program on Granada with United, Chelsea, West Ham etc. etc. and the host was asking for their “views”.

One of the West Ham fans said “This was always going to happen, the Scousers were unlucky it was them, it could have been any English team.”

Except Everton of course.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

He had a go at Tony Evans for his article on the Derby atmosphere and relationship between the clubs. 

Told him not to write about a club he doesnt understand. 

They really have a strange and unjustified opinion of their own importance. No one outside of the city and the small pockets of places where they have supporters care about them and they haven't been relevant since 1987. 

Tony Evans who wrote the best, most honest and even-handed piece on Heysel I’ve ever read. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Never ever let Everton go on about football hooliganism. Loads of their lot were NF in the late 80's and early 90's. Fucking about with England away causing all sorts of shit. This is their best selling book:

9781903854259.jpg

Its all about fighting and slashing. It has a whole chapter dedicated to the County Road Cutters. Begging up things like the time they slashed up a young Utd fan called Jobe Henry. 

Every team has twats following them but they take the fucking piss if they want to label us as hooligans. Pretty sure Andy Nicholls says he was at Heysel himself (why was he there?) and he still manages to spit his vile and blame it all on Liverpool. 

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/BOASTING+THUG+HAS+NO+SHAME+Talk+Back+Should+Nicholls+be+allowed+to...-a092946463

He says he sold spare tickets to Italian fans in the neutral end.

Also tried to stab Vinnie Jones when he played for Wimbledon.

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

9781903854259.jpg

Those hooligan books are absolutely ridiculous. I read one that I was given by a lad on holidays. Most of them seem to be cockneys making out they took an SAS style swat team up to places like Boro and Leeds and ran riot with the locals. No doubt some of them claim that 20 or 30 of them took on a full 1970s Kop or Stretford End.

My memories of away games like Boro and Leeds was being half terrified of them and giving it serious toes at times. Big hard bastards who could spot you a mile away.  Thankfully I was fast then.

Everton and Liverpool fans of that inkling used to join up when united, chelsea or leeds came to town. Different times.

Mad that despite all the agro back then, I don't think there was half the bile. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Those hooligan books are absolutely ridiculous. I read one that I was given by a lad on holidays. Most of them seem to be cockneys making out they took an SAS style swat team up to places like Boro and Leeds and ran riot with the locals. No doubt some of them claim that 20 or 30 of them took on a full 1970s Kop or Stretford End.

My memories of away games like Boro and Leeds was being half terrified of them and giving it serious toes at times. Big hard bastards who could spot you a mile away.  Thankfully I was fast then.

Everton and Liverpool fans of that inkling used to join up when united, chelsea or leeds came to town. Different times.

Mad that despite all the agro back then, I don't think there was half the bile. 

That Nicky Altt one is half a hooligan book and half one reminiscing about Liverpool in the 70s and 80s. 

He said that none of the so called cockney firms ever did anything apart from Spurs who got legged into Anfield cemetery. 

Nicky Altt is about 5ft 6 yet says how he battered a Belgian fella outside Wembley in 1978 and robbed his European cup final tickets. Said he bunked in everywhere round Europe 

He came up to me and a workmate in the supporters club asking for donations for something. This lad kicked off on him saying he should put all the money in he saved bunking on trains and into grounds in the 80s and told him to fuck off. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

That Nicky Altt one is half a hooligan book and half one reminiscing about Liverpool in the 70s and 80s. 

He said that none of the so called cockney firms ever did anything apart from Spurs who got legged into Anfield cemetery. 

Nicky Altt is about 5ft 6 yet says how he battered a Belgian fella outside Wembley in 1978 and robbed his European cup final tickets. Said he bunked in everywhere round Europe 

He came up to me and a workmate in the supporters club asking for donations for something. This lad kicked off on him saying he should put all the money in he saved bunking on trains and into grounds in the 80s and told him to fuck off. 

Oh yeah i read that one as well. To be fair, it was an enjoyable read. I'm sure a lot of the stories were taken from other lads though.

Notts Forrest won the European Cup twice and it did fuck all for their worldwide appeal to grow a fan base. Not sure why they make the huge leap from qualifying for it twice in 1985 and 1987 to European domination for years. They could have been knocked out 1st round. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I head that yesterday. TBH, I don't blame them for trying to do something but trying to claim it had nothing to do with the derby result is just wrong. If they didn't lose on Sunday, then Finch Farm doesn't get visited yesterday.

and the best thing was, the players had the day off that day 

10 minutes ago, R BENO said:

Notts Forrest won the European Cup twice and it did fuck all for their worldwide appeal to grow a fan base. Not sure why they make the huge leap from qualifying for it twice in 1985 and 1987 to European domination for years. They could have been knocked out 1st round. 

Spurs won the 1984 UEFA Cup,or was it 83? A more senior european trophy than Everton and yet they don't seem to blame us from stopping them becoming multiple European Champions.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Spurs won the 1984 UEFA Cup,or was it 83? A more senior european trophy than Everton and yet they don't seem to blame us from stopping them becoming multiple European Champions.

Yep, 1984.

Everton beat some shit teams in that 1985 Cup Winner Cup run. Only Bayern were decent as they ended up being Champions in 1985 when it wasnt dominated by them constantly m.

Dont think Everton qualified for European football for 15 years before that.