You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

9 hours ago, scudger99 said:

Stamina is something that still depends heavily on mentality.  To reach the point where you're absolutely fucked or right up against it and to push even harder takes the willpower to utilise that stamina.  The brain always registers tiredness before the physical parts of the body, it's a safety guard.  It takes that extra something to dig deep and push even harder, particularly when things aren't going in your favour.  Amply demonstrated by the number of late winners and the number of times we've come from behind to win.  Gloriously highlighted in the Barca CL semi final.

Mentality was the main difference yesterday between the grown men of Everton and our youth team.

In theory we should have been walloped, but Everton wilted under the pressure and our boys flourished, noticably in the 2nd half.

Rodgers might have talked shite at times and been obsessive about mentality, but it plays a huge part in being successful in sports, particlularly physical ones. 

This is a really good point, and one I wouldn't have understood before the 2012 Olympics when David Rudisha went out on his own to smash the 800m world record. The runner-up broke the old world record and I think there were seven personal bests in the race. He set the pace and everyone around him was motivated to go beyond what they had previously thought possible. It does not seem fanciful to say that Klopp does that for Liverpool.

• Upvote 4

I don't think I could ever dislike Ancelotti, and as much as I'm looking forward to them continuing to toil, he deserves better. Their fans are wilfully struggling to realise that he doesn't reshape squads, and the recruitment will still be on the team who accumulated all their shite. Certainly could've picked an easier and more pleasant retirement gig.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I don't think I could ever dislike Ancelotti, and as much as I'm looking forward to them continuing to toil, he deserves better. Their fans are wilfully struggling to realise that he doesn't reshape squads, and the recruitment will still be on the team who accumulated all their shite. Certainly could've picked an easier and more pleasant retirement gig.

He was even likeable at Chelsea!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I think Ancelotti might be in over his head with Everton, or he just doesn't really care and this is his last pay day. 

Seems a bit rushed. He was at Napoli about a month ago so its not like he gave it alot of thought. He doesnt look as though he's too arsed but maybe that is just his way.

How long is his contract?   

11 hours ago, Scrump said:

Rodgers wanted to look people in the eye to see if they have what it takes.

We now look at the stats and a players whole history.

More facts less wishful thinking

Except we looked at stats back then. But Rodgers was so weak we bought some players off stats, some players off his scouting/hunches or whatever the fuck and never combined both. Sakho was bought off the stats. Ballotelli FFS was bought off the stats. Benteke was bought off Rodgers eyes. All shite. Klopp has used some common sense that you should use all the knowledge you have available to you and is prepared to have his eyes opened by the stats which Rodgers never was. There's every chance our stats based system will fail in the future because of who is our manager. Nobody uses stats to buy players more than arsenal, but all they do is buy stacks of shite. 

42 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Seems a bit rushed. He was at Napoli about a month ago so its not like he gave it alot of thought. He doesnt look as though he's too arsed but maybe that is just his way.

5 years I think. 

Plus he's one of the highest paid managers in the Prem now, so it's going to be expensive to sack him. 

58 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I reckon Uncle Uzzy made him an offer he couldn't refuse, and I don't mean the good kind. 

Whilst I wouldn't say he's gone there solely for the money, it's obviously the prime motivating factor. My thinking is that he's thought:

• Best case scenario: go to Everton, trouser a fuckload of cash, moderately successful with them (reasonable transfer budget and turn them into a top 6 side), leave after 4 years or something with reputation completely intact and retire with the goodwill of Everton and 4 years' pay from them in the pension pot.
  • Worst case scenario: go to Everton, trouser a fuckload of cash, don't meet their mad expectations due to a lack of transfer budget and standing in front of a red easter egg, get sacked after a year or so, get a nice payoff for the retirement plan and go manage in China/MLS where they won't turn their noses up at his failure at Everton because he's Carlo fucking Ancelotti.

The common denominator is fuckload of cash. He knows he's coming to the end of his career managing in Europe so there's absolutely no reputational risk for him managing Everton as he's not relying on his time there to define his next job: his next job will either be somewhere they don't give a fuck about that or there won't be a next job. So, in the absence of offers from the top elite (who he's managed most of, to be fair) he's gone to the next best payday in Europe going: midtable Premier League, to chance his arm once more.

He's simultaneously the best manager they could have got by a distance, and the worst fit for them as a club. His track record is of a manager who comes in to turn 5/6 world class and 7/8 very good players into league winners and European champions - Everton are 5/6 short of the former and 6/7 short of the latter. They need a manager to rebuild them, not fine tune them, and they've blown the farm on an expert in winning trophies they're not even eligible for. He must be aghast watching those bums surrender to a scratch side in their biggest game of the season - this type of job, this type of club, these types of players - are completely alien to him.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Except we looked at stats back then. But Rodgers was so weak we bought some players off stats, some players off his scouting/hunches or whatever the fuck and never combined both. Sakho was bought off the stats. Ballotelli FFS was bought off the stats. Benteke was bought off Rodgers eyes. All shite. Klopp has used some common sense that you should use all the knowledge you have available to you and is prepared to have his eyes opened by the stats which Rodgers never was. There's every chance our stats based system will fail in the future because of who is our manager. Nobody uses stats to buy players more than arsenal, but all they do is buy stacks of shite. 

I'm not Rodgers biggest fan but I think it's unfair to compare him to Klopp. If Klopp was in that situation he would have rather have had no one than accept Balotelli just like he did when he couldn't get Virgil first time round. He was roundly criticised for not having a plan b, I know I was fairly annoyed about it. Point is very few managers have the strength and credit in the bank to be able to make such decisions. Rodgers would have been crucified for starting the season with just Ricky Lambert and Fabio Borini, hence he buckled. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve never seen them so despondent. This has completely crushed them. They’ve been so happy the last couple of weeks. Got the best manager they’ve ever had in the history of their club. Convinced a new stadium is on the way. Anticipating

Usmanov is about to pump billions in and have the club competing for the league and champions league. 

And now all of that has completely gone. They are ruined. Season over in January yet again and all they have to look forward to is watching the likes of Pickford, Sigursson and Walcott flounder and fail for the rest of the season. I’m drinking in their misery and it tastes like nectar. 

I normally get complete radio silence from them before a derby at Anfield but they were all crawling out of the woodwork for this one. Never seen them so active in the various WhatsApp groups I’m in. Not to mention numerous articles in the press banging on about how Carlo is the only manager to have Klopp’s number this season. 

They truly believed they were going to win and that’s what has destroyed them. Absolutely no excuses this time for them. They were beat by players who mostly wouldn’t even make our reserve XI. 

They had the most experienced team on the day. They had the most expensive team on the day. They thought they had a manager who was the equal of Klopp. They thought they’d be knocking us out the cup. They were wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 16