You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

13 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Danny Murphy generally talks a fair amount of drivel but I had to agree with him on this;

"First thing I would say, I like Tom, I think he's a good player and I think he can go onto to do good things, but he is nowhere near and will never be anywhere near Steven Gerrard. 

"You cannot turn a Caterpillar into an Owl. You can turn it into a Butterfly, so he's going to get better. When Stevie was 19, 20 and coming into the team, he was looking like a star. He was quick, strong aggressive and scoring wonder goals. 

"I think he's a terrific talent who can get much better, I'm not having a go at him. When you know football and you see a player there's only so much involvement a player can have. Based on his physical characteristics and his technical ability. He's not as quick as Stevie, he's not as technically as good, he's not as good a passer, he's not as good in the air. 

"He's not going to drag Everton to a Champions League final, is he? Or score in a UEFA Cup final for Everton. Or score the winner in an FA Cup final. Everton, Premier League title? What have you been smoking? When Everton win the Premier League, I'll be six feet under."

While I agree Davies doesn't look like a Gerrard in the making Stevie was far from prolific when he was younger. I just checked back and at the point he turned 20 he'd scored once in over 40 appearances.

Young Gerrard was tough, combatitive, skillful and rough round the edges as you'd expect from a young player. He only really became the player he did consistently when he was a bit more experienced and when Rafa came in and gave him more freedom to go forward.

When Gerrard was 14 he was playing Junior Football for a team called Denburn (I think) in Liverpool. The club I was involved with had an “agreement” at that age group, that some of Denburns lads would play for us in Cup competitions on Sundays, and some of ours would play for them on Saturdays.

I remember seeing this gangly lad turn up and then take this one game by the scruff of the neck, score a couple of screamers, then come off with ten minutes left, job done.

There were other lads playing who also went on to play for league clubs, Jason Koumas being one, but Gerrard stood out.

Conversations were of the “Who the fuck is he?” type.

Shortly after, the FA stopped kids associated with professional clubs playing two or sometimes three games in a weekend, which was a good thing really, so we didn’t get to see much more of him but everyone knew who he was.

I don’t think many professional players, let alone Tom Davies, will ever be as good as him.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

I don’t think many professional players, let alone Tom Davies, will ever be as good as him.

In a nutshell.

when you’re one of the very best to have ever played for a club as successful as us, it’s fair to say you’re pretty special.

Stevie can’t be a measuring stick for young players. They’ll never measure up.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

When Gerrard was 14 he was playing Junior Football for a team called Denburn (I think) in Liverpool. The club I was involved with had an “agreement” at that age group, that some of Denburns lads would play for us in Cup competitions on Sundays, and some of ours would play for them on Saturdays.

I remember seeing this gangly lad turn up and then take this one game by the scruff of the neck, score a couple of screamers, then come off with ten minutes left, job done.

There were other lads playing who also went on to play for league clubs, Jason Koumas being one, but Gerrard stood out.

Shortly after, the FA stopped kids associated with professional clubs playing two or sometimes three games in a weekend, which was a good thing really, so we didn’t get to see much more of him but everyone knew who he was.

A young lad used to play with us, if we were short, he’d help us out. He wasn’t supposed to as he was with our School of Excellence. My god, playing against someone with a god given talent like that. Wow. You think you’ve played with some good players and then you play with someone that has actually got ‘it’, I’ve played with and against players that have went on to have careers in the game, Marsh, Stubbs, Paul Cook, they were all very good players. But when you play with someone that has World Class potential, It takes your breath away. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Sky reporting Moise Kean's father saying his transfer to Everton was a huge mistake. That's going to go down well with that ever so faithful lot. 

6 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Sky reporting Moise Kean's father saying his transfer to Everton was a huge mistake. That's going to go down well with that ever so faithful lot. 

If you are getting a lot of attention, and want to drop off the radar for a couple of years, it's actually a perfect move. And the start of a great pub question: 'whatever happened to...'

Guest Pistonbroke

I have a nice chuckle when I think of the Money Everton have spunked and look at their forwards. 

Kean could come good, but not at Everton where he'll become a whipping boy for their frustrations because they don't have any decent strikers to ease the lad in.

Tosun is fucking wank, and I said as much when fat Sam lashed out crazy money on him. He was wank at Frankfurt before being fucked off to Turkey. 

Niasse is also wank, couldn't even score for Cardiff whilst out on loan.

Iwobi is wank, in fact he is that wank they pretend he's a midfielder and shove him out wide left. 

Walcott has been dead for years. 

Calvert-Lewin, Ok they only paid a few million for this lad, but he isn't even worth that. 

The only decent forward they have is Richarlison, plus he only looks good when playing in a deeper role, he's wank as a forward. 

14 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I have a nice chuckle when I think of the Money Everton have spunked and look at their forwards. 

Kean could come good, but not at Everton where he'll become a whipping boy for their frustrations because they don't have any decent strikers to ease the lad in.

Tosun is fucking wank, and I said as much when fat Sam lashed out crazy money on him. He was wank at Frankfurt before being fucked off to Turkey. 

Iwobi is wank, in fact he is that wank they pretend he's a midfielder and shove him out wide left. 

Calvert-Lewin, Ok they only paid a few million for this lad, but he isn't even worth that. 

The only decent forward they have is Richarlison, plus he only looks good when playing in a deeper role, he's wank as a forward. 

Niasse is a great player, it was the Premier League that fucked him, they are corrupt as fuck and have it in for Everton because they are the RS rivals. Any chance all the RS officials have a chance of fucking Everton over they’ll take it. Niasse got banned for diving when there was blatant contact, that was the beginning of the end. He can’t be arsed playing in a League with such corruption and is just happy to take the money. So many dives go unpunished yet, they picked on him. Hate what his game has become, the RS media, the RS officials giving all the decisions in their favour. They won the European Carabao Cup with a dodgy handball, GKs throwing the ball in their own net, last minute goals. The City game last week. The club of the establishment and it all gets swept under the carpet like nothing has happened. 

7 hours ago, coachpotato said:

That is actually a very cool story. Bro. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

And that's not even mentioning the legend that is Sandro Ramirez, who was the best forward on Merseyside before he kicked a ball over here and is currently on loan at Valladolid as he's too shit to get past the luminaries hogging the shirt in the queue in front of him.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
14 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

And that's not even mentioning the legend that is Sandro Ramirez, who was the best forward on Merseyside before he kicked a ball over here and is currently on loan at Valladolid as he's too shit to get past the luminaries hogging the shirt in the queue in front of him.

Never heard of the cunt. 

On 15/11/2019 at 17:30, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Danny Murphy generally talks a fair amount of drivel but I had to agree with him on this;

"First thing I would say, I like Tom, I think he's a good player and I think he can go onto to do good things, but he is nowhere near and will never be anywhere near Steven Gerrard. 

"You cannot turn a Caterpillar into an Owl. You can turn it into a Butterfly, so he's going to get better. When Stevie was 19, 20 and coming into the team, he was looking like a star. He was quick, strong aggressive and scoring wonder goals. 

"I think he's a terrific talent who can get much better, I'm not having a go at him. When you know football and you see a player there's only so much involvement a player can have. Based on his physical characteristics and his technical ability. He's not as quick as Stevie, he's not as technically as good, he's not as good a passer, he's not as good in the air. 

"He's not going to drag Everton to a Champions League final, is he? Or score in a UEFA Cup final for Everton. Or score the winner in an FA Cup final. Everton, Premier League title? What have you been smoking? When Everton win the Premier League, I'll be six feet under."

I bet he has a shrine to Hodgson at home.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

The only decent game Riharlison has had for them this season is playing up-front on his own. He is fucking shite. They all are. Digne is decent. 

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The only decent game Riharlison has had for them this season is playing up-front on his own. He is fucking shite. They all are. Digne is decent. 

He has a bigger impact playing deeper, if he could stay on his feet for more than 4 minutes.