You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Was the Heysel bitterness immediately apparent, or did it really set in in the mid-90s when they were flirting with relegation? I remember Moyes stirring it back up when they qualified for the CL qualifiers, but don't know when it first took off/

I dont remember it happening until the mid nineties. When we barely beat them in the early 90s they loved it but it was because we got wound up by it saying they were shit all year but couldn't beat them in the derby.

The first time I noticed how bad they were was when we lost the 1996 FA cup final to the Mancs as they were made up. The year before the majority of Liverpool fans wanted them to win and not just because it stopped the Mancs doing another double. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

I dont remember it happening until the mid nineties. When we barely beat them in the early 90s they loved it but it was because we got wound up by it saying they were shit all year but couldn't beat them in the derby.

The first time I noticed how bad they were was when we lost the 1996 FA cup final to the Mancs as they were made up. The year before the majority of Liverpool fans wanted them to win and not just because it stopped the Mancs doing another double. 

Thought so, so it's total revisionism then. They could really do with either being relegated and maybe having a fun time having a good season in the Championship, or actually winning something. They're completely pointless otherwise, it must be purgatory following them.

14 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Was the Heysel bitterness immediately apparent, or did it really set in in the mid-90s when they were flirting with relegation? I remember Moyes stirring it back up when they qualified for the CL qualifiers, but don't know when it first took off/

It was almost immediate in my experience. I had one particularly blinkered blue mate (the kind who would continually spout shite like 'psycho-Pat would batter Steve McMahon' etc.) who was insistent that we'd robbed them of the European cup even before the competition started that year.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I think all blues thought they were going to win it. I remind them they all thought they were going to win the league too, yet finished 2nd to us while we did the double. The thing is, at the time there was no bitterness towards us because of the ban. Anybody who says their clubs weren't fighting absolutely every week at the match then are liars. It was rife and it was everywhere. Even if you didn't want to fight you had to because it was everywhere and it was attack or be attacked. Where Europe was concerned it was clear the English clubs were close to being banned prior to 85, English sides had been smashing up Europe for years (and mostly not us). With revisionism it's easy to look at heysel and say we were banned because of 39 deaths, but in fact it wasn't going to take anything as horrific as that to get us banned. Just another city centre smashed up would have probably been enough. But it's much easier just to just blame us now and rewrite history. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Lineker went to Barca, there were others that moved on before the ban also.

He didn’t join Everton until the summer of 85 and left the next summer. 

Kendall left after they won the league in 87, Gary Stevens joined Rangers in 88, with Trevor Steven following him a year later. Colin Harvey was a bit shit despite spending lots of money, and as they started to go downhill we started to get the first murmurs about how the Heysel ban had fucked them.  I’d say the early seeds were very early 90’s.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Lineker went to Barca, there were others that moved on before the ban also.

Linekar didn't join them till the ban was in place. He left after 1 year. The others who moved on like Trevor Steven was again after the ban. The team had only been together for 18 months when the ban began. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

He didn’t join Everton until the summer of 85 and left the next summer. 

Kendall left after they won the league in 87, Gary Stevens joined Rangers in 88, with Trevor Steven following him a year later. Colin Harvey was a bit shit, despite spending lots of money, and as they started to go downhill we started to get the first murmurs about how the Heysel ban had fucked them.  I’d say the early seeds were very early 90’s.

Yep, it was their replacing of Kendal that fucked them up. 

To prove the FA, the Premier League, all football authorities and other clubs are conspiring against them, the Bloos lurched closer to the bottom tonight, without kicking a ball. They were 6 points off the very bottom of the league, but after Watford's first win of the season, they're now just 4 points off the very bottom.

Let's see if Southampton are also in on this conspiracy tomorrow with the referee awarding them dubious pens, or getting Richarlison sent off for diving.

4 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Can remember nearly coming to blows with some Evertonian I worked with over this. I was like that James O Brien on LBC when thick Brexiters ring up.

His only response was "we would have won because we were the best team in Europe". I asked how this was possible given they won a weak competition beating two part time teams in it and we beat them to the league and cup double the season after. He then said "well Barca were shit and we would have beaten them". They could have drawn Juventus, Barcelona or Steaua in the first round and gone out. They could have been on the end of a dodgy Collina/Clive Thomas decision but it was a dead cert that they would have won that final in Seville. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985–86_European_Cup

Apparently, they would have faced a very decent Anderlecht side, so a first-round defeat was a definite possibility. 

Following that path to the final, they would have then had an easy tie against Omonia, followed by much harder ties against Bayern Munich and Steaua, before Barcelona in the final.

That route to the trophy is the opposite of their ECWC campaign from the previous year: to win the 1986 European Cup, they would have had to beat one rubbish team and four really strong ones, each of which would be capable of beating Everton. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

"My names Sharon, I'm from Rhyl and I really wanna win the X factor because my nan just died of bad aids yesterday"

Nil Acoustics Nisi Shithouse

Mad stuff. I love the cough between lines.

Our lass who does "Allez Allez Allez" on the piano is a much better singer, anyway. 

8 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Apparently, they would have faced a very decent Anderlecht side, so a first-round defeat was a definite possibility. 

Given their propensity for imaginary corruption, it's probably just as well for their collective blood pressure that they didn't face a club that were really bribing refs.

30 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

So who they getting beat by this weekend?

It looks as if Southampton have the opportunity to bum them and equal them on points.  Pity about Southampton's goal difference, otherwise there would have been a good prospect of the Blooshite spending the weekend in the relegation zone.  Again.

And this was the season they were going to be catching up on us.........

4 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

It looks as if Southampton have the opportunity to bum them and equal them on points.  Pity about Southampton's goal difference, otherwise there would have been a good prospect of the Blooshite spending the weekend in the relegation zone.  Again.

And this was the season they were going to be catching up on us.........

Southampton had better win by six goals then.

This glass-half-full business with the Reds of late is boss.