You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

12 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That's assuming they are able to return to work. 

I can't think of many premier League players in their prime years who have suffered an injury so severe they've never played again in the last 10 years or so. Not trying the argue, I just can't think of one. Heggem maybe but that was an ongoing concern rather than a singular incident I think. 

6 hours ago, The Guest said:

Nope you’re definitely missing my point.  I can’t tell whether you’re doing intentionally or if you’re just that fucking thick.

Son was not challenging for the ball.  It was not like any other foul that happens in a game or any legal shoulder barge.  He went in to a tackle to do Gomes.  Go and watch it again.  Gomes is not expecting to get tackled on his ankle like he does because the ball is way in front of him.  He doesn’t expect it so doesn’t try to ride it.  I doubt Son intended for the injury that then followed to happen but he definitely intended to hurt Gomes and when you do nasty shit like that then nasty injuries can happen.  I don’t know how you can watch both tackles and say Sons wasn’t malicious but Choudhurys was.  They were both snide tackles.

The ref has said himself he gave the red because of the injury and not the tackle. So the ref didn't think it was a red, because he's not supposed to choose the colour of the card on who gets injured. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Guest said:

Nope you’re definitely missing my point.  I can’t tell whether you’re doing intentionally or if you’re just that fucking thick.

Son was not challenging for the ball.  It was not like any other foul that happens in a game or any legal shoulder barge.  He went in to a tackle to do Gomes.  Go and watch it again.  Gomes is not expecting to get tackled on his ankle like he does because the ball is way in front of him.  He doesn’t expect it so doesn’t try to ride it.  I doubt Son intended for the injury that then followed to happen but he definitely intended to hurt Gomes and when you do nasty shit like that then nasty injuries can happen.  I don’t know how you can watch both tackles and say Sons wasn’t malicious but Choudhurys was.  They were both snide tackles.

You ok sweety pie?

28 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The ref has said himself he gave the red because of the injury and not the tackle. So the ref didn't think it was a red, because he's not supposed to choose the colour of the card on who gets injured. 

Martin Atkinson you mean? Hysterical.

It was a snides tackle and if he’d done it to one of our players you’d be on here crying about it.

• Downvote 1

That Son tackle was the worst kind. Just completely needless and the dumb thing about it is you can't even figure out why he would do it. It's in a situation and in an area of the pitch where a counter isn't on so it's not a "tactical foul", he doesn't slip, the ball is nowhere near, it didn't even seem malicious or that it was because of some prior beef. Just takes him out from behind for no reason.

You could go on and on about how mindless it was. It's one of the stupidest tackles you're ever gonna see.

• Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Martin Atkinson you mean? Hysterical.

It was a snides tackle and if he’d done it to one of our players you’d be on here crying about it.

I don't see it a great deal dissimilar to the challenge on Salah the other week ... My response to that having seen that at the match is it didn't look great, but watching it back, it just wasn't a red, which I also said in here. Neither was that yesterday. If we send people off for fouls like that, no game will ever finish with 10 men or we'll no longer have tackles. Even  kevin kilbane on motd2 said it wasn't a red and he's as bitter a blue as you can get. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think you can take the consequences of a bad tackle out of the equation . Son made a rash challenge out of retaliation for the earlier incident. It wasn't accidental .  Ninety nine percent of the time it's a yellow and we move on but on this occasion the outcome was horrific . Of course Son didn't mean to break his leg but he intended to foul him.

Running a red light is a fixed penalty fine unless you kill a pedestrian in the process then you end up in jail.

The outcome of any premeditated offence is relevant to the punishment.   

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I don't think you can take the consequences of a bad tackle out of the equation . Son made a rash challenge out of retaliation for the earlier incident. It wasn't accidental .  Ninety nine percent of the time it's a yellow and we move on but on this occasion the outcome was horrific . Of course Son didn't mean to break his leg but he intended to foul him.

Running a red light is a fixed penalty fine unless you kill a pedestrian in the process then you end up in jail.

Disagree. It was a run of the mill intentional foul and a yellow card was the correct decision. While not relevant to this discussion it does piss me off when refs give fouls due to the reaction of the player who is often exaggerating injury. Not with Gomes of course.

56 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Sure, but I can't find any reference to that principle in the laws of the game. If that's how they're going to officiate from now on, then it should be explicit in the actual rules.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Sure, but I can't find any reference to that principle in the laws of the game. If that's how they're going to officiate from now on, then it should be explicit in the actual rules.

It's in there beside you can handle the ball above your head if someone is challenging you. There are a few others in there too that will be revealed this weekend.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I can't think of many premier League players in their prime years who have suffered an injury so severe they've never played again in the last 10 years or so. Not trying the argue, I just can't think of one. Heggem maybe but that was an ongoing concern rather than a singular incident I think. 

I know someone who worked with Heggem and there were problems with his diagnosis and care allegedly.. Sciatic nerve damage I believe. He retired in 2003.

An offensive tweet posted after the Everton and Tottenham match is being investigated by police.

A Merseyside Police spokesman said the force received a report of the Twitter post following the match on Sunday.

The spokesman said: 'Merseyside Police will not tolerate hate crime in any form and is working to identify and bring to justice anyone found responsible for committing a hate crime.'

The Liverpool Echo reported that the post used racist language to describe Tottenham player Son Heung-min.

The South Korean player was sent off during the match at Goodison Park after a challenge on Everton midfielder Andre Gomes.

Gomes, 26, has since undergone surgery on a fracture dislocation to his right ankle.

They've got form for this, I'll give them that. Probably der redshite again.

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Just saw a fella in an Everton beanie cap in Castle Street greeting Genk fans like returning heroes, shaking their hands and imploring them to win tonight. Absolutely made my day, what an embarrassment.

The last time Everton faced Genk was pre season 2017, under Red Ronnie. It finished 1-1, now I know it was a pre season but Genk are going to have to play better than they did against the shite otherwise they'll get absolutely battered. And that's probably what Mr Beanie was warning them about.

As an aside, who are they playing tonight?

47 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Conspiracy theories incoming. Son red card overturned. 

Just shows what a stupid knee-jerk decision it was in the first place. If Gomes hadn't injured himself, the challenge by Son would never have been considered to have been endangering an opponent. He would have got a yellow card for a cynical trip and that's it.

• Upvote 1