You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Just went on GOT after seeing the last couple of posts here and every thread I looked at (ok only top half of the first page) had an anti-LFC dimension. The one that didn't seem to involve us was the Silva racism thread (where they defended him, of course), until scrolling back one page and, yes, we are mentioned again.

There is absolutely no ill or tragedy in the world that we are not responsible for, on a daily basis, according to those howling at the moon lunatics.

"You were doing 35 mph in a 30 mph zone"

"Yes but the redshite..."

• Upvote 3

On that Europa Conference League thing, real shame they haven’t basically just reprised the Cup Winner’s Cup. Don’t know why they ever dropped it.

What an absolutely shit name for a European trophy as well. The Poundstretcher Cup. They must have Gerald Ratner as head of branding.

• Upvote 4

The 'Also Rans' cup. Although they probably wouldn't qualify for that either. 

So many teams won't want this they struggle enough to stay on the coat tails of the top teams without having these games added. If they reduced the Premiership to 10 teams and added more European games so overall it reduced the games played that might be an answer but probably to a question nobody asked. Plus they just want to milk as much money as they can from it until they've killed it.

23 minutes ago, φαίνω said:

The 'Also Rans' cup. Although they probably wouldn't qualify for that either. 

So many teams won't want this they struggle enough to stay on the coat tails of the top teams without having these games added. If they reduced the Premiership to 10 teams and added more European games so overall it reduced the games played that might be an answer but probably to a question nobody asked. Plus they just want to milk as much money as they can from it until they've killed it.

I was reading yesterday that 3rd place in a Europa League group will see teams drop into the Conference for the second round, same as the way they do it in the CL now. Also, winning the Conference League gets you a spot in the Europa League the following season. What more incentive do you need?

25 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

On that Europa Conference League thing, real shame they haven’t basically just reprised the Cup Winner’s Cup. Don’t know why they ever dropped it.

What an absolutely shit name for a European trophy as well. The Poundstretcher Cup. They must have Gerald Ratner as head of branding.

Was thinking that when I saw it. If it was a straight "cup winners" cup knockout rather than a league with eastern Europeean teams that all sound like Wifi passwords then it probably would make less money from the tv.

• Upvote 8

13 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Was thinking that when I saw it. If it was a straight "cup winners" cup knockout rather than a league with eastern Europeean teams that all sound like Wifi passwords then it probably would make less money from the tv.

If you have to actually win a trophy then the bloos have still got little chance of qualifying. The more random,the better for them.

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

My memory is that they dropped it because cup winners were complaining that they'd rather play in the Uefa Cup. There were more prestige teams there. Yes kids, big teams gave a shit about what is now the Europa League, even without the prize of CL qualification. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

It was great when all three European competitions meant something. The UEFA and the Cup Winners, or at least the knockout format, got devalued when the Champions League got expanded. It's a real shame, used to love those European nights.

I always say that if the old European Cup didn't exist, you'd invent it. On the other hand, there's no way you'd invent the Champions League. The current competition is piggy-backing on the splendour of the old competition. And the Uefa Cup and ECWC had their part to play. Every game mattered because there was national pride at stake. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, deiseach said:

I always say that if the old European Cup didn't exist, you'd invent it. On the other hand, there's no way you'd invent the Champions League. The current competition is piggy-backing on the splendour of the old competition. And the Uefa Cup and ECWC had their part to play. Every game mattered because there was national pride at stake. 

Just look at our run to the uefa cup final in 2001. 

Rapid Bucharest 

Slovan Liberec

Olympiacos

Roma

Porto

Barcelona

That was a great tournament to win. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Davoth Kelly, perhaps?

33 minutes ago, deiseach said:

Does that voice sound like someone from over the water to anyone? I have a horrible/wonderful feeling...

Dave from Little Sutton! It's the father of my brother-in-law's girlfriend! He's the reason she won't support Everton. He won't go to Goodison while Silva is manager? He won't be going to Goodison when he's not manager, hasn't 'gone the game' in years. Small world, eh?

• Upvote 5