You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

4 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:
shagpuss

shagpuss

Player Valuation: £500k
Part of me is jealous of their European trophies. I'd love Everton to have won nine. But I wouldn't want the shame of my club being involved in such a dreadful incident as Hysel. 
Everton would almost certainly have won the 1986 European Cup. We can't turn the clock back but we can hope that our time will come again.

I hate this narrative of "Everton would almost certainly have won The European Cup in 1986".

Yes, they were a very good team, but there are so many variables involved, its untrue. For a start, if Heysel (not Hysel) hadn't have happened then Liverpool may well have won number 5 on that night. So, Everton would have been in the same competiton as us in 1986, a season that we beat them to both the league and FA Cup. If not, they would have played Juventus, who weren't exactly garbage. Add in to that the likes of Barcelona, Porto, Bayern and even Anderlecht (who would have played Everton in the first round and ended up getting to the semis) then it's not a given Everton would have even got anywhere near the final. And finally, it's Everton, the greatest variable of all. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He must be very proud of his club's fans treatment of John Barnes during his playing days and how one of his own brethren confronted a Lyon/Lille player while carrying his own child. A club with a lily white record of behaviour.

Don't forget the NF element within them. 

44 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I hate this narrative of "Everton would almost certainly have won The European Cup in 1986".

Yes, they were a very good team, but there are so many variables involved, its untrue. For a start, if Heysel (not Hysel) hadn't have happened then Liverpool may well have won number 5 on that night. So, Everton would have been in the same competiton as us in 1986, a season that we beat them to both the league and FA Cup. If not, they would have played Juventus, who weren't exactly garbage. Add in to that the likes of Barcelona, Porto, Bayern and even Anderlecht (who would have played Everton in the first round and ended up getting to the semis) then it's not a given Everton would have even got anywhere near the final. And finally, it's Everton, the greatest variable of all. 

Another thing to consider is that English hegemony in European competition was on the wane by 1985. Winning the Cup Winners Cup doesn't tell us much as winning your domestic cup wasn't as big a deal on the continent. You only have to see how the likes of West Ham, Man City, Chelsea (pre-Abramovic), Rangers and Aberdeen are also able to 'boast' about winning it. In the Uefa Cup, a much more prized competition on the continent, England's five representatives had all gone out by the quarter-final

2 hours ago, Total Longo said:

This is spot on, and emphatically describes the problem bloos have had since Heysel.

Many of them at the time thought they could have won the cup in 1986, but not all of them did. However, what has come about is that some who wouldn’t have even been born then have become convinced they were a shoe in to win it, regardless of the fact there were another dozen teams who could have said the same, us being one had Heysel not happened and we’d have beaten Juventus that night. 

But hey, why let cold hard facts get in the way of explaining 33 years of pretty much total failure as being down to us and us alone.

15 minutes ago, Elite said:

Were they strong favourites in 86? Or are they just clinging onto to a bull shit claim?

Ask any Blue and they are strong favourites every year. Apparently they want New Zealand in the final next month because they are over the hill and Silvas got a plan for them. 

Their famous CWC victory took them past the might of University College Dublin, inter Bratislava, Fortuna Sittard and Rapid Vienna. They were only really tested by Bayern Munich in the semi final. They did win the Bundesliga that year but they were not the dominant club in the league back then as they are now. 

They had a very poor European record prior to that year as well and usually bottled games against Milan, Inter, Moenchengladbach and Panathinakos who went onto the final to lose to Ajax. 

Their modern European record is shocking.

A proper football club with superb fans, Mourinho would relish that.

Gordon Lee's Cushion

Gordon Lee's Cushion

Player Valuation: £500k
We need a winning manager. We have the team and superb fans. Now we need to do all we can to attract the right man. I know many scoff at Mourhino but I genuinely think he'd relish the chance to be at a proper football club again.
  • Upvote 1