You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't even consider Chelsea a rival. Totally manufactured and fictitious rivalry.

I always think that rivalries are a bit like friendships.  You have your work friends, who you get on well with when you're working together, but you're not really that arsed about them and if either of you moves on, you don't keep in touch; that's the sort of "rivalry" that we've had with teams we've briefly competed with, like Leeds, Forest, Arsenal, Chelsea and now City.  

But you also have your lifelong friends; similarly, we have lifelong rivals in Everton and Man Utd.  If they both slipped down the divisions, I'd still keep an eye out and laugh when they got beat.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

I think it comes across more as who do you hate the most rather than rivalry as such. I didn't know we had any beef with West Ham at all or with Newcastle particularly. On the opposite side  I am surprised that we aren't on Southampton's list.

West Ham - last proper trophy was the FA Cup in 1980. Last chance to win a trophy was FA Cup in 2006.

Newcastle - last proper trophy was Fairs Cup 1969. Last chance to win a proper trophy was FA Cup 1974, and 1999 (Man Utd); League Title 1996.

Mancs apart, all those heartbreaking losses were attributable to der redshite.

Allowing that it’s a twatter poll, and therefore could have all kinds of influencing factors like generational, geographical, historical etc.,  it’s interesting to see we have 8 mentions, United have 10, Chelsea 7, Arsenal 4, Spurs 5, but City only 3.

Could explain a little more the perceived “anyone but Liverpool” shite there seemed to be about last season.

Wonder who would be preferred if it was united and us going for the title?

Looking at that, I would expect Ev fans to say it was a redshite poll that shows them so irrelevant to others.

A couple of Evertonians I work with are fuming that Tom Halls Tavern in Brunswick street in town has been renamed "Jurgens Bierhaus" and is now an LFC themed bar. It says in the Echo that it will cater for LFC fans and tourists due to it facing the Liver Buildings. 

The two who are upset are quite moderate Evertonians but it has boiled their piss big time. There is another one who has moved to a different department who is one of the most bitterest Evertonians I've ever known and he has been drinking in there every Friday after work almost since it opened. I cant wait to see his meltdown over it. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Isn't there or wasn't there a Dixie Dean bar in London Road?. Basically it's just a long bar full of smelly al fellas who make one pint last all day so they can save putting the heating on in their house and watch the racing channel all day.

Not sure if it’s still there but yeah there used to be. Went in their once or twice about twenty years ago - shite!

1 hour ago, scudger99 said:

Agreed.  But boiling the Bitter's piss is a massive upside.

The fella I mentioned above is such a horrible poisonous individual too. When Barmby joined us he went on for months about how Everton should have cancelled his contract and blocked him playing professional football anywhere so he couldn't play for Liverpool. 

He came up with a prediction based on league placing and form to scientifically prove that Everton would have won the European cup in 1986. Which I quickly countered by saying Liverpool beat them to the league and FA cup.

He never shut up about Suarez and went ballistic when I started saying his idol Big Dunc was a thug who beat up pensioners. He booked a trip to the Lake District the weekend of the Madrid final and made sure that he wouldn't go to any pubs on the Saturday night incase any kopites celebrated.

I can only imagine his reaction when he's heard that his favourite pub is now a redshite supporters club.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Eight pages on GOT since last night about Watford sacking their manager. That’s the biggest ‘rivalry’ they’ve had in years, trying to tell Watford fans how much bigger a club they are. 

They've almost rivalled Watford for their turnaround of managers in the last few years.

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Isn't there or wasn't there a Dixie Dean bar in London Road?. Basically it's just a long bar full of smelly al fellas who make one pint last all day so they can save putting the heating on in their house and watch the racing channel all day.

That's what Wetherspoons are for isn't it ?? 

3 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Anyone opened a pub called Latchfords Lager House how many would give a shit.

The long defunct Rooney’s Bar on Barlow Lane, which was named after him once he’d scored against Arsenal. Didn’t last long, mind.

EDIT: posted before seeing Red74’s post.