You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

38 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

The Oxford English dictionary defines 'maudlin' as "self pityingly or tearfully sentimental".

You know the term 'maudlin' yeah. Well the Oxford English dictionary defines it as "self pityingly or tearfully sentimental"

As defined by the Oxford English dictionary the term 'maudlin' means pityingly or tearfully semtimental."

The Oxford........

The Oxford English diction.......

The Oxford English dictionary defines 'maudlin' as "self pityingly or tearfully sentimental"

The fuck is this supposed to mean?

6 hours ago, General Dryness said:
maudlin
/ˈmɔːdlɪn/
adjective
  1. self-pityingly or tearfully sentimental.
    "a bout of maudlin self-pity"

Its more of a British thing anyway, I don't see why Liverpool should be singled out.

I know Stewart Lee is dead cool though.

There is absolutely no connection whatsoever between cunts who deride stuff like the Hillsborough Justice Campaign as "self-pity" and Stewart Lee calling things like Her Benny or Tuppence To Cross The Mersey as "maudlin sentimentality".

None whatsoever. 

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There is absolutely no connection whatsoever between cunts who deride stuff like the Hillsborough Justice Campaign as "self-pity" and Stewart Lee calling things like Her Benny or Tuppence To Cross The Mersey as "maudlin sentimentality".

None whatsoever. 

But don't a lot of regions/cities/towns have songs, films and books like that? I haven't seen the routine so I don't know why he was singling out Liverpool. Apologies if I've misunderstood here, but you have to understand that taken at face value, that's what your post seems to imply.

Wasn't the Stewart Lee bit actually tied into something else and then flipped like he normally does? I can't remember it exactly. Wasn't it a thing to slag off Paul Nuttal or have I mixed that up?

Comedians doing bits about different areas is always tricky, when say Frankie Boyle has done stuff and said something shitty about the North East I can laugh it off. Yet I've seen Michael McIntyre slagging off bits of the north and it makes me want to see him suffer greatly as a result. Probably because I see Boyle do it and I see him as one of us, basically grew up in a shitty Northern city like we did, whereas McIntyre is an unfunny posh twat. 

Just now, General Dryness said:

But don't a lot of regions/cities/towns have songs like that? I haven't seen the routine so I don't know why he was singling out Liverpool. Apologies if I've misunderstood here, but you have to understand that taken at face value, that's what your post seems to imply.

It wasn't a routine; just a throwaway line.

I don't think other cities do it to the same extent. As has been mentioned, the Royal Court has run on nothing but Scouse comedies and Scouse nostalgia for probably more than a decade now. That's a thriving, growing theatre, run on Scouseness; I don't think anywhere else could sustain that.

I suspect that Stewart Lee might have had the misfortune to stumble across Billy Maher on Radio Merseyside once or twice after a show in town. That stuff's fucking unbearable: sentimentalising poverty because it was our poverty.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

Wasn't the Stewart Lee bit actually tied into something else and then flipped like he normally does? I can't remember it exactly. Wasn't it a thing to slag off Paul Nuttal or have I mixed that up?

Comedians doing bits about different areas is always tricky, when say Frankie Boyle has done stuff and said something shitty about the North East I can laugh it off. Yet I've seen Michael McIntyre slagging off bits of the north and it makes me want to see him suffer greatly as a result. Probably because I see Boyle do it and I see him as one of us, basically grew up in a shitty Northern city like we did, whereas McIntyre is an unfunny posh twat. 

I'm usually primed to get defensive, not least because so many of the jokes are based on lazy 80s-throwback stereotypes.  But when Stewart Lee said that, I had to concede that he's right.

(I think the last time that happened was on Harry Enfield when he was doing "The Scousers". It was mostly shite, but in the wedding sketch, one of the vows was "do you promise to leave Liverpool at the first opportunity, then spend the rest of your life telling everyone what a great place it is".)

6 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

Yep. It was about Paul Nuttall. Stewart Lee also apologised when the potential Hillsborough link was pointed out.

There’s no shame in pointing out that wallowing in nostalgia has been seen as an unendearing Liverpool trait for many years, going back to the mid eighties. 

I remember reading a TV review of something like ‘Watching’ (or perhaps a Craig Charles sitcom) when I was a kid that referred to it being a refreshing change in that it was a Liverpool based comedy that didn’t involve scousers crying into their beers about the old days.

There is a distinction between calling out shite nostalgia and being offensive about tragedies etc.

I cannot abide all the Uber Scouseness, but it is a business at the Royal Court, i’ve suffered it and ran for the hills at the interval. Disliking that shite, and it can be very stereotypical, is not a problem for me. ‘ Drew ‘ Schofield, Mick from Brookside and fucking Ray Von in full flow that night, amongst others. Fuck off!

• Upvote 1

My dads scouse and barely mentions it.

i lived in Liverpool for 4 years as a student and there was nothing worse than being in the pub with a professional scouser who believed he was funny. He never was.

awesome city, and mostly terrific people, but the wistful nostalgia is annoying.

• Upvote 2

There's a grain of truth to most stereotypes, kind of the nature of a stereotype. Unless it was maliciously engineered to do down a certain group of people (saying black men have big willys to dehumanize them etc). But let's not forget that the nostalgia act isn't a Liverpool thing, it's a northern comedian thing. Just that Liverpool as usual has its own brand and as shit as professional scousism is it's still a step above Peter Kay remembering Panda Pop.

At least you lot don't have the stereotype that you're all Evertonians, which is a strange one for North Wales as there's really not that many.