You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

boris

Player Valuation: £15m
To expect a top 4 challenge with DCL and Tosun as our strikers is absolute lunacy.
The form we ended last season with, including DCL up top, would challenge for the top 4 this season, particular with all our challengers being weaker. 

I expect we’ll be even better this season as the team gets more used to Silva’s ideas and younger players, like DCL develop, however it’s all completely irrelevant as we will add in that area.

The team that ended last season though, would put in a top 4 challenge this season, which only reiterates how much we have to look forward to this forthcoming season.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Everyone agrees the area needs attention and investment. “North Liverpool has some of the mostdisadvantaged wards in the country,” Kenyon continues. “There remains severe deprivation less than a mile or so from what is now a vibrant, bustling, increasingly cosmopolitan European city centre. North Liverpool is in desperate need of jobs,investment, physical regeneration and sustained social programmes, all of which our new stadium can deliver.

Yeah, mate. It’s called Walton. Why not stay and regenerate that area instead of abandoning it to salvage the crime ridden ghetto at one of Unesco’s World Heritage Sites

3 hours ago, Angie81 said:

I’d love to know where the money is coming from you know.

The council will pay every penny of this. They haven’t bothered looking elsewhere. Just delayed announcing it to let the dust settle from when it was first mooted. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Anubis said:

boris

To expect a top 4 challenge with DCL and Tosun as our strikers is absolute lunacy.
The form we ended last season with, including DCL up top, would challenge for the top 4 this season, particular with all our challengers being weaker. 

I expect we’ll be even better this season as the team gets more used to Silva’s ideas and younger players, like DCL develop, however it’s all completely irrelevant as we will add in that area.

The team that ended last season though, would put in a top 4 challenge this season, which only reiterates how much we have to look forward to this forthcoming season.

They're doing it again aren't they? 

Every year without fail.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

We had some renovation work on our house done a while back and I’m a bit miffed looking back that the architect made no effort to have a tattoo done of me and the Mrs.

Well to be fair Sir Rog, this Bluenose gobshite  box builder  has to be able to show them something for the money they have spent 

pissed away so far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

boris

*bangs head against desk* | Tumblr

1 hour ago, index1000 said:

Well to be fair Sir Rog, this Bluenose gobshite  box builder  has to be able to show them something for the money they have spent 

pissed away so far.

Just a pity they never score in derbies so he could video himself playing with his mug , chuckling wryly & saying ' Liverpool sure won't enjoy that one '

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Anubis said:

From yesterday's Times. Highlights in bold.

Everton will meet MPs to discuss ‘golden’ stadium plans
Henry Winter, Chief Football Writer

July 15 2019, 5:00pm, The Times

Everton visit the House of Commons today as they step up engagement for their Bramley-Moore Dock stadium proposal, which they argue will transform a dilapidated area of north Liverpool. “This is a golden opportunity,” Richard Kenyon, Everton’s director of marketing, communications and community, will tell politicians.

Relocating from their historic home at Goodison Park is proving a long, complex and inevitably emotional process. The Liverpool Echo comment sections brim with acerbic jousting between Liverpool and Everton fans about the development. Unesco closely follows events on a World Heritage site and the docks are on the list of sites at risk of losing their status.

This meeting with MPs, backed by the Premier League, marks a significant moment in Everton raising awareness for their scheme. Central to the club’s argument is the beneficial impact on all in the city.

“We want people to understand that this is not just a new stadium for Everton,” Kenyon said. “It is more than a stadium. It is more than a game. The socio-economic impact will be huge.”

The socio-economic consultancy RealWorth calculates the impact to be worth £793.4 million over a ten-year period to what Kenyon calls “health and well-being, environment, crime reduction and the preservation and creation of civic amenities”.

Everyone agrees the area needs attention and investment. “North Liverpool has some of the most disadvantaged wards in the country,” Kenyon continues. “There remains severe deprivation less than a mile or so from what is now a vibrant, bustling, increasingly cosmopolitan European city centre. North Liverpool is in desperate need of jobs, investment, physical regeneration and sustained social programmes, all of which our new stadium can deliver.

“This is a golden opportunity for north Liverpool. It is more than a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It is an opportunity that the north end of the city hasn’t had for decades and possibly never will again. If you saw this dock, it’s not a tourist attraction, it’s derelict, nobody goes. The (Grade II listed) hydraulic tower in severe disrepair. We’re going to repair it, bringing it back to life.”

The dock walls are also listed and Everton are very mindful of allaying Unesco’s concerns. “This will allow people to appreciate it [Bramley-Moore],” Kenyon adds of the plan. He will emphasise to MPs the club’s desire to “celebrate and showcase the heritage of the site”.

Everton fans crave any indication of what their new home will look like. They know it is planned for a 52,000 capacity, with rail seating and the target of opening in 2023. When one supporter tweeted Dan Meis, the stadium architect, about the belief that new English stadia are “not intimate or intimidating because of modern regulations”, Meis’ response was “just wait and see”.

His plans for Stadio della Roma are built around a “focus on intimacy and home-pitch advantage”, he has voiced his admiration of the sweeping, single-tier south stand at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium while the new Cincinnati MLS stadium boasts a steep, single tier behind one end housing the most vocal fans in “The Bailey”.

When first approached about the project, Meis was told by Robert Elstone, then the chief executive, that Everton’s new home had to be a “cauldron of energy with the steepest stands right on top of the pitch and a massive home end”.

Encouragingly for the fans, Meis appears to have fallen “in love” (his words) with the club. He has a Duncan Ferguson shirt and Everton mug in his office in Santa Monica, a club scarf signed by Tim Howard while a scoreboard on the wall displays “1878”, the year Everton were founded. He also now has an 1878 tattoo.

Fans’ hopes will be clarified when they finally see Meis’ designs. Everton are confident the design will be spectacular and enhance the famous city skyline, and promote the city globally. “Our stunning city-centre skyline will be in the background of every broadcaster’s coverage, one billion people worldwide every other week,” Kenyon says. “We don’t get that at Goodison; when drones hover over the stadium, they pick up the parks and the area we’re in.

“This is different. You see a historic but also a modern cityscape. It is rapidly becoming a city that people aspire to come to, a cool city, one of ‘the’ places to visit, and a lot of this is based on our history of culture through the Beatles and through football. A new stadium in this location will drive more visitors and further position the city as a dynamic, cultural destination with football at its heart. The value to the city in exposure will be significant and sustained. It’s not like a marketing campaign that has a time limit.”

Kenyon will point out to politicians that “redeveloping Goodison is not an option with site constraints too significant to overcome”. Much focus will inevitably be on what will become of Goodison. Kenyon, the club’s dynamic chief executive Denise Barrett-Baxendale, the chairman Bill Kenwright and the majority share-holder Farhad Moshiri are adamant that Everton will not follow the route taken by some clubs with their old home.

“Goodison will not just be sold off to the highest bidder for a new supermarket, retail park, or an unsympathetic housing estate,” Kenyon says. “We plan to do something innovative, original and befitting of who we are as a football club . . . the People’s Club. Our vision is to create a development that benefits the local community.”

source.gif

• Upvote 7

Encouragingly for the fans, Meis appears to have fallen “in love” (his words) with the club. He has a Duncan Ferguson shirt and Everton mug in his office in Santa Monica, a club scarf signed by Tim Howard while a scoreboard on the wall displays “1878”, the year Everton were founded. He also now has an 1878 tattoo.

Didn't that 'esk' fella say they've spent £1m a month so far on plans for the stadium, if I was Meis I'd have all that too and be laughing all the way to the bank. 

Why don't they also claim that the new stadium will also solve world hunger, cause world peace and bring in an era of complete nuclear disarmament, doesn't sound so far fetched when you see what bitters think. 

So a stadium by a sewerage works, a team that is mainly mid-table, who will use that stadium probably 20 out of 365 days will solve all of Liverpool's problems in that area. What of the new issues that taking that stadium away from Goodison might cause?

Actually, I don't buy into their begging tactics. The area around Anfield (including around their wooden hut) benefits more from us than them right now. We (according to them) bring in far more visitors to the city and generally a lot more often than them. Costco probably has more visitors in a year than Everton would at the dock, and they'd spend more and they'd undoubtedly leave happier. 

Fans’ hopes will be clarified when they finally see Meis’ designs. Everton are confident the design will be spectacular and enhance the famous city skyline, and promote the city globally. “Our stunning city-centre skyline will be in the background of every broadcaster’s coverage, one billion people worldwide every other week,” Kenyon says. “We don’t get that at Goodison; when drones hover over the stadium, they pick up the parks and the area we’re in.

Admit it, they pick up that massive Main Stand that winds you up so much you blocked off part of your ground so your fans wouldn't have to look at it. They wouldn't want them waking up, realising that they are being taken for mugs. 

• Upvote 2

If I was in any doubt of the existence of proper mad blues the the last year has changed that.

Lorry driver delivers to our yard, chatted to him briefly on and of the past 5 years or so- perfectly nice guy......until one day he arrives and Im drinking out of an LFC cup. The transformation was insane, he just launched into all manner of shit, I couldnt get a word in edgeways.

Hadnt seen him for around 3 months, he turns up yesterday- he literally jumped out of his cab and was straight off the bat- "how did you get on in the league? How did you get on in the league? Didnt get what you wanted did you? And where did you lose the league? Aye?"  Over and over again- I hadnt even said anything.

I decided the best course of action would be to rise above it and settle for calling him a "fucking weapon"

• Upvote 1

On 25/03/2019 at 22:11, index1000 said:

Being of a certain age i had to pick up a new pair of reading glasses last week. A fine pair made by Lambretta that come in a bright Red case. The lady at the opticians asks me ' hope you are a Liverpool fan?' She then explains that they have had 'a lot' of BS fans refuse to take their new specs because the case is Red!!!!

What type of fuckwit mentality is this?

Unbelievable that grown fucking men would not pick up their specs because of the colour of the box. 

I asked her ' Do people ever get annoyed because their glasses might be in a blue box?'

'No, Never happened' 

Of course it hasn't its a Colour and their not children.

18 minutes ago, Dave D said:

If I was in any doubt of the existence of proper mad blues the the last year has changed that.

Lorry driver delivers to our yard, chatted to him briefly on and of the past 5 years or so- perfectly nice guy......until one day he arrives and Im drinking out of an LFC cup. The transformation was insane, he just launched into all manner of shit, I couldnt get a word in edgeways.

Hadnt seen him for around 3 months, he turns up yesterday- he literally jumped out of his cab and was straight off the bat- "how did you get on in the league? How did you get on in the league? Didnt get what you wanted did you? And where did you lose the league? Aye?"  Over and over again- I hadnt even said anything.

I decided the best course of action would be to rise above it and settle for calling him a "fucking weapon"         

He gets around, doesn't he.

Wait, there's more than one of them?!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, deiseach said:

He gets around, doesn't he.

Wait, there's more than one of them?!

It must impact their day to day lives so much.

The guy I was talking about was so quiet and unassuming for years... now its like he's on cocaine- eyes bulging, talking really fast.

Pointing out we were European Champions just prompted muttering something about Heysel and then swiftly moved on to how Costa and Delph are gamechangers         

20 hours ago, Anubis said:

boris

And yet it's always: "der Redshite are always saying: 'this year is our year'." 

Lacking self-awareness since 1878.