You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

7 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

That lad is clearly a complete strapon. Inane ravings of a lunatic. Look at that list of comparisons. Richarlison better than Firmino - hmm. Keane better than Gomez - laughable, and that’s just 2 that jump out.

The focus as always on why we’re ahead and not focusing on their failings. 

This new stadium stuff is ridiculous, I’ve never understood why a team like that think a new stadium will help them. They’re still Everton, top players won’t want to join them because the stadium is new, more fans won’t go, again - because it’s Everton. You could design the worlds greatest stadium but if the entertainment on display is basically a dog curling out a turd in the middle of the field you still aren’t going to go are you.

They’re sad, mediocre twats, I’ve been looking at their fixtures and reckoned they might get a generous 42 points. Utter fucking garbage club, team and manager. 

Pointless, they make up the numbers. It’s like Watford claiming they’d be a threat if they get a brand new stadium. 

And Digne will have gone to Everton as he didn’t fancy a 3rd or 4th club in a row where he was a sub. 

Spot on. I couldn’t care less if it gets built or not. If it does get built as a citizen of this city, I’ll be proud of it as an addition to the city waterfront. If it doesn’t get built - meh. It’s mere creation and existence will do as much for EFC as the DW Stadium did for Wigan, or the Reebok did for Bolton. 

But I do hope they design it to make sure our Blu friends can’t see Anfiels.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

That lad is clearly a complete strapon. Inane ravings of a lunatic. Look at that list of comparisons. Richarlison better than Firmino - hmm. Keane better than Gomez - laughable, and that’s just 2 that jump out.

The focus as always on why we’re ahead and not focusing on their failings. 

This new stadium stuff is ridiculous, I’ve never understood why a team like that think a new stadium will help them. They’re still Everton, top players won’t want to join them because the stadium is new, more fans won’t go, again - because it’s Everton. You could design the worlds greatest stadium but if the entertainment on display is basically a dog curling out a turd in the middle of the field you still aren’t going to go are you.

They’re sad, mediocre twats, I’ve been looking at their fixtures and reckoned they might get a generous 42 points. Utter fucking garbage club, team and manager. 

Pointless, they make up the numbers. It’s like Watford claiming they’d be a threat if they get a brand new stadium. 

And Digne will have gone to Everton as he didn’t fancy a 3rd or 4th club in a row where he was a sub. 

Sunderland's ground is the 8th biggest in England apparently. That's worked out well for them.

42 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Good day for me that 

IMG_20190220_122603.jpg

Haha I remember you posting that.  Didn't you buy Work Bloo a Greggs brekkie with your winnings before you told him what you won it on?  I hope in his new job he's making another Red's Monday morning an absolute treat with his crazy ramblings.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, elBooth said:

Haha I remember you posting that.  Didn't you buy Work Bloo a Greggs brekkie with your winnings before you told him what you won it on?  I hope in his new job he's making another Red's Monday morning an absolute treat with his crazy ramblings.

That I did. Waited until he'd finished before telling him why I was treating everyone. 

I haven't heard from work Bloo in ages but the last time was pre derby. With the next one nearing its only a matter of time 

• Upvote 1

If anyone wants a laugh look at their European record on Wikipedia. Bar the 1985 Cup Winners Cup where they only played one decent team their record is appalling. They've been knocked out early in most competitions by European giants such as Zaragoza, Dunfermline, Upjest, Dukla Prague and Panathinaikos. 

The only European heavyweights they've ever faced since 1964 were the two Milan clubs, the Mancs, Benfica, Bayern and Moenchengladbach.

7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

If anyone wants a laugh look at their European record on Wikipedia. Bar the 1985 Cup Winners Cup where they only played one decent team their record is appalling. They've been knocked out early in most competitions by European giants such as Zaragoza, Dunfermline, Upjest, Dukla Prague and Panathinaikos. 

The only European heavyweights they've ever faced since 1964 were the two Milan clubs, the Mancs, Benfica, Bayern and Moenchengladbach.

Britain's Bitterest

Part Six - UEFA's One Club per City Rule

We've all heard Evertonians moan and moan about how we stopped them winning the European Cup in the late 1980s. But that's not the only occasion that the Blues have had reason to blame Liverpool for their lack of European success.  Back in the 1960s they were twice denied entry to the Fairs Cup (forerunner of the UEFA Cup) due to a rule stating that only one club from each city could enter.

The first instance was in 1968-9 after Everton had finished fifth and Liverpool third the previous season. As a result Everton missed out on entry to the Fairs Cup, as did Arsenal and Spurs as Chelsea were already involved. Newcastle, who had finished tenth were the highest placed team from a city that didn't have a representative and were allowed in, only to go on and win the thing.

Fuming Evertonians claimed that they would surely have won the Fairs Cup themselves had they been allowed to enter. If this wasn’t enough, Everton were again denied entry in 1969-70, despite finishing third. Liverpool had finished second so got in while Everton's place went to Southampton. When the situation arose again in 1975-6 they decided that enough was enough. After finishing fourth in 1974-5, they were unable to take their place in the UEFA Cup as Liverpool had finished second. This meant Everton's place went to Stoke but this time they were having none of UEFA's rule.

They said it was outdated and unfair as it originated in the 1950s when the competition was for clubs from cities that held trade fairs. Everton went to a committee in Geneva who agreed to uphold their complaint.  Unlucky Stoke, who had only gone out on away goals to three times European champions Ajax the year before were denied a further shot at glory.

So moaning Everton took up their place in the UEFA Cup and you would think they'd really go for it to prove how right they were to be annoyed. Instead they went out to AC Milan in the first round, drawing 0-0 at home and losing 1-0 away. Now before you think "it's not so bad going out to AC Milan", you must remember they were not a good side then. In the next round they drew 0-0 with Irish side Athlone Town!

As for Liverpool, the side that Everton resented denying them the chance to compete more often before. Well we went on to win the competition for a second time.

Steve Horton

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I know Bloo articles in the Echo are like copy-and-paste programme notes, but I never expected them to literally copy-and-paste programme notes. Stealing a living.