You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

38 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

They remind me of Brexiteers getting cross at losing their right to free movement: they are bitter (and angrily in denial) about being a small club, but that is exactly what they choose to be. 

They should have got Everton to negotiate the Brexit terms, they've plenty of practice exiting Europe.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Warren, at 05:46 in...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06v5c23

I feel for him.  I like blokes like him.

He was harsh saying Everton were rubbish when they qualified for the Champions League because they got knocked out straight away.

But to his credit, not one conspiracy theory or mention of the junior team of the city.

Bless him.

Bought the Echo for the first time in ages yesterday and it just dawned on me how much I'm fed up of being aware of their existence.

Sharing a city with this absolute sporting flotsam but still having to be made privy to their every tedious failing. Every other page I had to flick past their shit, and the fucking colour blue.

The headline for their beating by Leicester was 'first day nerves'.

It's like having a brother who's a complete fucking bum, and you come home from a night shift to find he's broken his leg trying unsuccessfully to break into B&M. You're like 'I don't want to eat my breakfast looking at his fucking boat' but your mum is like 'oh come on you know he's a bit simple'.

• Upvote 8

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's like having a brother who's a complete fucking bum, and you come home from a night shift to find he's broken his leg trying unsuccessfully to break into B&M. You're like 'I don't want to eat my breakfast looking at his fucking boat' but your mum is like 'oh come on you know he's a bit simple'.

Is that an actual anecdote from your life?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Joking aside, they should have gone to Kirkby when they had the chance.  Building costs would have been lower; there was room to grow; the council would have bent over backwards for them; road, rail, bus and  (probably) tram links would have been excellent; and it's only a short hop from Goodison anyway - it would have moved the club closer to much of its fanbase. 

Instead, they were hamstrung by their own petty parochialism - born largely from years of trying to mock us for our ability to attract fans from all over the world - to the extent that crossing a municipal boundary, arbitrarily drawn in 1974, was seen as a step too far.

They remind me of Brexiteers getting cross at losing their right to free movement: they are bitter (and angrily in denial) about being a small club, but that is exactly what they choose to be. 

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

12 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Joking aside, they should have gone to Kirkby when they had the chance.  Building costs would have been lower; there was room to grow; the council would have bent over backwards for them; road, rail, bus and  (probably) tram links would have been excellent; and it's only a short hop from Goodison anyway - it would have moved the club closer to much of its fanbase. 

Instead, they were hamstrung by their own petty parochialism - born largely from years of trying to mock us for our ability to attract fans from all over the world - to the extent that crossing a municipal boundary, arbitrarily drawn in 1974, was seen as a step too far.

They can still move there now as the site is still empty but the construction costs would probably be double or more now. 

But then they would never be able to call themselves the senior club in the city or say that the city is all theirs because they rent half a floor in the Liver building and shine blue lights at the top of it. That is far more important.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Anubis said:

Warren, at 05:46 in...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06v5c23

101108-Luongo-eminem-lede_owldxs

Warren, I think you were a little hard on the Ev,

So was Howard Kendall, Silva, and big Nev

This guy keeps screaming, he's paranoid

Quick, someone get his ass another Billionoid.

Boo-boodi-boo-boo, boo-boodi-boo-boo

I ain't hear a song you sing, boo-boodi-boo-blah

Is that a pink top that you usin' for the haka

Look, big dunc just got a fuckin' boob job

Didn't you watch the last 30 years, meathead

Pay attention, it's the same shit you've always been fed.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Bought the Echo for the first time in ages yesterday and it just dawned on me how much I'm fed up of being aware of their existence.

Sharing a city with this absolute sporting flotsam but still having to be made privy to their every tedious failing. Every other page I had to flick past their shit, and the fucking colour blue.

The headline for their beating by Leicester was 'first day nerves'.

That's quite magnificent. 

3 hours ago, deiseach said:

not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Serious.

The Kirkby move wouldn't have catapulted them into the stratosphere - nothing is going to do that - but it would have given them the foundations to be halfway competent.  That chance has now gone, leaving them to sit in a shed and talk about moving to a palace.

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Serious.

The Kirkby move wouldn't have catapulted them into the stratosphere - nothing is going to do that - but it would have given them the foundations to be halfway competent.  That chance has now gone, leaving them to sit in a shed and talk about moving to a palace.

I find this...surprising. Kirkby is a 15-minute drive from Walton. I can't imagine Liverpool fans putting up with that kind of dislocation. I guess you could argue they are desperate, but you don't have to be consumed by petty parochialsm to have objections.

1 hour ago, deiseach said:

I find this...surprising. Kirkby is a 15-minute drive from Walton. I can't imagine Liverpool fans putting up with that kind of dislocation. I guess you could argue they are desperate, but you don't have to be consumed by petty parochialsm to have objections.

I think that should end with "but they are consumed by petty parochialism."

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

They didn't want to move to Kirkby incase they were associated with a Dave Kirby poem.

At der pub I got into a big fight

With a fella who supports der redshite

He stepped on my toes

And punched me on the nose

And said, "Are youse lookin' at my pint?"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deiseach said:

It's hardly an MK Dons move.