You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

15 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

The day they win a derby they will be unbearable. The last time they won one social media wasn't as at the tip of everyone's fingers like it is today. They'll dine out on any win for years to come and with the obligatory dvd no doubt.

Yeah all the other games and years without winning will be forgotten, and some cunt will be getting a statue at Bramley Nomoore.

It's gotten to the point that they really have nothing to lose in derbies. So many beatings and years without a win at Anfield that defeat is the default and we expect to win. 

I've been bracing myself for about half a decade that they'll beat us at Anfield as the law of football averages says that they're due a win. I'm not even going to watch it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

It's gotten to the point that they really have nothing to lose in derbies. So many beatings and years without a win at Anfield that defeat is the default and we expect to win. 

I've been bracing myself for about half a decade that they'll beat us at Anfield as the law of football averages says that they're due a win. I'm not even going to watch it. 

I see a post like this every year, before we shaft them with a late winner. 

I consider it a good omen. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

I fucking hate the derby. 

I hate the build up more than anything. They seem to be unbelievably gobby this time around. Which, will make it all the sweeter if we beat them.

Still, it's bloody tiresome hearing/reading the shite they say/post/tweet during the build up. From the Merseyside 11, where they manage to shoe-horn in 5-6 of their players, when in reality not one of them would get in this Liverpool side. To some utterly outrageous claims about how they're going to batter us and how they are far superior in every way to us.

Lastly, I wouldn't mind so much if they stuck around to take some stick after a defeat, but we all know they'll all disappear back into the holes they crawled out from. And we won't hear from them again for a few weeks or until we ended up getting beat.

• Upvote 1

On 11/22/2018 at 2:09 PM, Barry Wom said:

I think there's too much competition in the Premier league. It makes far more sense if you've money to buy a good club in Spain or Italy. 

I'm tempted to make a whole thread out of a pet theory I've developed that is the reason I disagree with this.

The short version is that I think the financial advantage from the TV deals the Premier League gets is slowly moving it into becoming a de facto Super League. In a globalised world, it makes sense that we will eventually see a more American-style single league that has most of the fan interest and money behind it, and looking across Europe it seems clear that if there's to be a winner it will be the English league (barring something idiotic like a Brexit-driven installation of English player quotas).

In other words, there will either be a breakaway Super League or the Premier League will become a Super League by virtue of their huge financial advantage. Already you see things like Leicester and Everton having higher revenues than AC Milan or Atletico Madrid and you think "hmm." But as the pace of the financial discrepancy increases, then mid-table English teams will outbid major German/Italian/Spanish powers for players. And lest you argue "yeah, but the best players will always prefer to win major honours for Dortmund or Juventus rather than move to West Ham" I point you to history of big-money clubs across Europe. An oligarch buys Chelsea and we say "yeah, but the majority would rather earn 75% of what they pay at a real club rather than move there." And then we watch as 5 years pass and the plastic club is now a fixture and winning trophies and nothing could feel more normal.

This is why I think the pressure has come up all of a sudden for the breakaway league. The European powers have realised that if they DON'T break away, they're in real danger of being left behind. I could easily see a future 25 years from now if we don't see a Super League where England rules the roost to such an extent that mid- and low-table PL teams are serious competitors with even the likes of PSG or Bayern for players.

2 hours ago, Lycan said:

I hate the build up more than anything. They seem to be unbelievably gobby this time around. Which, will make it all the sweeter if we beat them.

Still, it's bloody tiresome hearing/reading the shite they say/post/tweet during the build up. From the Merseyside 11, where they manage to shoe-horn in 5-6 of their players, when in reality not one of them would get in this Liverpool side. To some utterly outrageous claims about how they're going to batter us and how they are far superior in every way to us.

Lastly, I wouldn't mind so much if they stuck around to take some stick after a defeat, but we all know they'll all disappear back into the holes they crawled out from. And we won't hear from them again for a few weeks or until we ended up getting beat.

Absolutely. They go on for ages about how good they are and we just end up beating them.  One fella on my Facebook was doing videos in his car saying how great they were and how much of a better side they were then we beat them 3-1. 

He then disappears off social media and refuses to go out for about two weeks. 

Then as soon as we lose a couple of weeks later he's back on posting about how we've never won the league since 1990 even though they haven't won it since 1987 and they've won one FA Cup in all that time. Imagine being that pathetic.

58 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Then as soon as we lose a couple of weeks later he's back on posting about how we've never won the league since 1990 even though they haven't won it since 1987 and they've won one FA Cup in all that time. Imagine being that pathetic.

Not only that, but they have reached the grand total of ONE other final in all that time, being beaten by Chelsea in the FA Cup final in 2009.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

Not only that, but they have reached the grand total of ONE other final in all that time, being beaten by Chelsea in the FA Cup final in 2009.

From the 1986/87 season, this is the record of both clubs in terms of winning or finishing as runners-up.

Everton:

1986/87 - First Division champions

1994/95 - FA Cup winners

2008/09 - FA Cup runners-up

Liverpool:

1986/87 - League Cup runners-up

1987/88 - First Division champions, FA Cup runners-up

1988/89 - FA Cup winners, First Division runners-up

1989/90 - First Division champions

1990/91 - First Division runners-up

1991/92 - FA Cup winners

1994/95 - League Cup winners

1995/96 - FA Cup runners-up

2000/01 - League Cup winners, FA Cup winners, UEFA Cup winners

2001/02 - UEFA Super Cup winners, Premier League runners-up

2002/03 - League Cup winners

2004/05 - Champions League winners, League Cup runners-up

2005/06 - FA Cup winners, UEFA Super Cup winners, Club World Championship runners-up

2006/07 - Champions League runners-up

2008/09 - Premier League runners-up

2011/12 - League Cup winners, FA Cup runners-up

2013/14 - Premier League runners-up

2015/16 - League Cup runners-up, Europa League runners-up

2017/18 - Champions League runners-up

2 hours ago, Trumo said:

From the 1986/87 season, this is the record of both clubs in terms of winning or finishing as runners-up.

Everton:

1986/87 - First Division champions

1994/95 - FA Cup winners

2008/09 - FA Cup runners-up

Liverpool:

1986/87 - League Cup runners-up

1987/88 - First Division champions, FA Cup runners-up

1988/89 - FA Cup winners, First Division runners-up

1989/90 - First Division champions

1990/91 - First Division runners-up

1991/92 - FA Cup winners

1994/95 - League Cup winners

1995/96 - FA Cup runners-up

2000/01 - League Cup winners, FA Cup winners, UEFA Cup winners

2001/02 - UEFA Super Cup winners, Premier League runners-up

2002/03 - League Cup winners

2004/05 - Champions League winners, League Cup runners-up

2005/06 - FA Cup winners, UEFA Super Cup winners, Club World Championship runners-up

2006/07 - Champions League runners-up

2008/09 - Premier League runners-up

2011/12 - League Cup winners, FA Cup runners-up

2013/14 - Premier League runners-up

2015/16 - League Cup runners-up, Europa League runners-up

2017/18 - Champions League runners-up

Aren't Everton supposed to be the most 'boring' club to support?

They have gone longer than anyone else in the English leagues without either winning a trophy of any sort, or gaining promotion. They've literally had nothing to celebrate in almost 25 years. 

Maybe they'll chill out if they get relegated and then come back up. Though I imagine they'd find a way to blame us for it.

9 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Aren't Everton supposed to be the most 'boring' club to support?

They have gone longer than anyone else in the English leagues without either winning a trophy of any sort, or gaining promotion. They've literally had nothing to celebrate in almost 25 years. 

Maybe they'll chill out if they get relegated and then come back up. Though I imagine they'd find a way to blame us for it.

I think you might be overlooking the man utd title wins - their "taking part" game v man city in 2014 and of course any final we have lost - like the european cup last year.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, an tha said:

I think you might be overlooking the man utd title wins - their "taking part" game v man city in 2014 and of course any final we have lost - like the european cup last year.

You just cannot overstate their lay down and die attitude when playing Utd.

There brilliantly poor performance against City, is, as you stated a great highlight for all our blue friends. 

5 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

You just cannot overstate their lay down and die attitude when playing Utd.

There brilliantly poor performance against City, is, as you stated a great highlight for all our blue friends. 

The worst part about that city game was that Everton scored first. And all you could hear in the stadium was grumbling. 

Fucking weird.